By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - If the Wii was in HD.

Imagine if the Wii was in HD already. The other consoles would have failed. They already have more exclusives/1st party games, if it was in HD they would have WAY more 3rd party support like Modern Warfare, OrangeBox, Bioshock, Assassins Creed, Grand Theft Auto, Street Fighter IV, Prototype etc. and their 1st party games would look better.

You know I'm right. But it didn't happen :P. It just needed better online support, bigger harddrive space, and HD. You know they're going to put all that in the next console, it's going to own for sure. THEY MADE BANK OFF A CHEAP CONSOLE (gamecube with motion control)$$$$.

But then you think about it. Maybe it sold well because it was cheaper than the other consoles. The first holiday sales, most people wouldn't spend $600 or $400 on anyone.

*-* 1 more year...

Around the Network

If it was HD, it would probably cost more, which would have turned away the expanded market that has made them so successful. 3rd parties would have still rejected an HD Wii just as they rejected the Gamecube.

if there was a wii hd... then I'll be playing the wii hd to an hd t.v. since its name resembles it alot...

If Wii was HD it would have flopped, it would have been much more expensive and had possibly even less support and as a result fewer sales, this is why there will never be a Wi HD.

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

HD is just resolution. I can play a game from 1996 in HD and it will still look like shit.   Same graphic detail, just less blurry.

Around the Network

Price was their big advantage. It needed to be cheap to attract the sales they have. I will argue with some of their architecture designs though: 88MB of ram a Processor in the 700 MHz range even in 2006 those were sad numbers.

Nintendo decided against HD because at the time of release, HD was not widespread enough to justify the added cost.

The third party games did not come to a GC with similar technical specifications, so it is doubtful that a Wii with similar specs would have gotten the games. For example, Capcom made its decision on RE5 four years ago -- 18 months before the game was released and a year before what was then known as the Revolution was released.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

This is all purely speculative, but a $400-500 HD Wii would have killed consumer adoption, and I wonder if it really would have attracted much more in the way of development. 3rd parties might have been attracted at the prospect of porting art assets over easier, but the idea of designing games for that controller would still scare the crap out of them, and the higher price of making original art assets would kill off 3rd party Wii exclusives.

Would an HD Wii have seen De Blob, Boom Blox, Little King's Story, Zack and Wiki, Monster Hunter 3, a host of horror games, and all those other titles that are too risky or niche to justify an HD budget? I don't think I would trade all those creative, low-budget games just to be able to play those blockbuster HD games with a Wii remote.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Here's what I think would have happened, were the Wii in HD:

1) Cost of development would inevitably be higher
2) Cost of hardware would inevitably be higher, hampering the userbase growth rate
3) Third parties would have looked at the Wii HD and motion control, and scoffed at the HD-level development costs plus the uncertainty of the new control scheme
4) Third parties would have written off the Wii HD before the generation started based on the GameCube's performance
5) Depending on whether the higher hardware cost was enough to shoot down the Wii HD, if/when the Wii HD's uptake catches third parties off guard, they'll continue to refuse development for the Wii HD, citing the tremendous uncertainty of a motion-based control scheme, and the need to ensure stable revenue by staying in familiar territory

Which is to say, in all likelihood, %*&$ all would have changed, even if the Wii HD sold just as well as the Wii (and that's a best case scenario).

Super World Cup Fighter II: Championship 2010 Edition

Remember everybody. The other 2 consoles had tons of extra features and memory. The wii HD is just strounger. So I doubt its price will be higher than $350

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you.