By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is NSMB Wii worthy of the title Game Of The Year?

The Ghost of RubangB said:
Kantor said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:
Fact #1: New SMB Wii is the best platformer ever made.

Fact #2: Platformers are the best genre ever made.

Conclusion: New SMB Wii is the game of the forever.

To argue this, you must argue one or both facts. Good luck.

I challenge Fact 2. Zelda isn't a platformer.

It's just about every other genre ever, but not a platformer.

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link is a platformer, and The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening has several platforming areas as well, with lots of jumping, both from a sidescrolling view and the isometric view.  You even jump on goombas in that one, which is why it's the best Zelda ever made.

And Twilight Princess has platforming areas with tricky wolf jumps, and double clawshot sections.

Zelda games aren't pure platformers, but they dabble in platforming, which is part of why they're so good.  If you just walk from puzzle to puzzle without snowboarding, swinging, jumping, riding chickens, and launching out of cannons, games would be boring as hell.  Platforming is where all the fun and challenge comes from.

Uncharted 2 has lots of platforming, you know? :P

Around the Network

^Point still stands about NSMB Wii being the best platformer

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Avinash_Tyagi said:

Have you played Uncharted ?

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
psrock said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

Watched a friend play it once, didn't look very interesting

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Avinash_Tyagi said:
psrock said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

I'm glad you don't decide who wins.

Around the Network
Avinash_Tyagi said:
psrock said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

Shams is that you? (was that who did that?  perhaps I'm misremembering)

Avinash_Tyagi said:
psrock said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

I didnt think it would interest you either, but seriously can you please stop talking about things you have no ideas about,do me that favour. Second, I have played NSMB Wii, and it's an excellent game, it has so slight control issuebut I still like it over LBP controls, but in terms a a game as whole It's just not in the same league as Uncharted 2 right now period. 

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

^I knew you would feel that way psrock, but I know that if I don't find one thing interesting, and another thing very interesting, well then the game that is more interesting is the better game. I mean if I see a game and it doesn't look interesting, then why do I have to play it to know that I wouldn't like it? Now you may have your own opinion, but if all we are doing is discussing opinion, then there are a lot more [people who preferred NSMB Wii over U2

Torillian said:
Game of the Year should be the game that's the best that year, not some silly notion of what games will be regarded as great in the future.

You've just decided that NSMBWii will be regarded as a classic, you bring no proof to the table only basing it off what you feel.

well said i agree.

Avinash_Tyagi said:
^I knew you would feel that way psrock, but I know that if I don't find one thing interesting, and another thing very interesting, well then the game that is more interesting is the better game. I mean if I see a game and it doesn't look interesting, then why do I have to play it to know that I wouldn't like it?

I would actually give your opinion more importance if you had taken your friend's controller and at least try it. Don't  use your looking at friend play excuse to compare the games. It's really that good, little overhyped like NSWMB, but just a terrific game espacially if you like movies and comedy. And it's fun, which is very important to you, right.

Next Gen