By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is NSMB Wii worthy of the title Game Of The Year?

Kantor said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:
Fact #1: New SMB Wii is the best platformer ever made.

Fact #2: Platformers are the best genre ever made.

Conclusion: New SMB Wii is the game of the forever.

To argue this, you must argue one or both facts. Good luck.

I challenge Fact 2. Zelda isn't a platformer.

It's just about every other genre ever, but not a platformer.

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link is a platformer, and The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening has several platforming areas as well, with lots of jumping, both from a sidescrolling view and the isometric view.  You even jump on goombas in that one, which is why it's the best Zelda ever made.

And Twilight Princess has platforming areas with tricky wolf jumps, and double clawshot sections.

Zelda games aren't pure platformers, but they dabble in platforming, which is part of why they're so good.  If you just walk from puzzle to puzzle without snowboarding, swinging, jumping, riding chickens, and launching out of cannons, games would be boring as hell.  Platforming is where all the fun and challenge comes from.

Around the Network

@morenoingrato

Well the basic formula of jump run, platforms, etc. is still there, I mean the basic platformer formula is there, but compare SMW to NSMB Wii, and you'll see plenty of difference, like the powerups, multiplayer, the worlds are always different, there's enough changes that it feels still fresh.

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Rubang I don't think you're doing the cause much justice citing your OPINIONS as fact.

edited this to not post something inflammitory, but since the empty space is annoying to More now here's something.

there ya go buddy.

Kantor said:
RolStoppable said:
Kantor said:
morenoingrato said:
I'm tired of this Uncharted 2 fight, 3 will come, people will still be playing Mario Wii, U2 will hide behind 3, A classic massive Nintendo game will arrive, and this debate will start over, Nintendo fans, get over it, this longlasting masterpiece won't have a chance with U2, but let's see who will be remembered more, ask Famitsu, what was their U2 review... 37?... Mario 40?

If Nintendo made a new 2D Mario on Wii, you can be sure that people would stop playing NSMBWii.

You tend to stop playing the original if a good sequel releases... if you would rather play the original than the sequel, it's a bad sequel.

Okay, then go ahead and explain the SMB3 vs. SMW situation. Many gamers kept playing both for years and some still do, because why wouldn't they?

Alright, I'll rephrase.

When given the choice between playing a game, and a highly improved version of said game, with the same formula, you'll want to play the sequel. When a new entry in the franchise launches, with a few exceptions, the majority of the attention will turn to this new iteration. People will still play the old game, of course, but not as often as they used to. And then, in later generations, people will play both. Perhaps equally.

In that sense, people will be playing both Uncharted 2 and NSMBWii in the years to come. And you could claim to the contrary, but you have no evidence to back it up, because you can't see the future. You have no idea how much lasting appeal a game will have until a few years after it launches, so unless you want to give out the 2009 GoTY awards in 2012, the current system of judging a game based on how good it is now works.

There are many games like Uncharted 2 (not of the same quality, of course, but in the same genre, style, appeal)? If you're close minded, you can put in all shooters in. Now, how many games there are like NSMBWii? Right, being one of a kind, or fresh and new actually matters in staying power.

That's why Mario stayed while other platformers faded, while Final Fantasy light up the charts and Tales do not, etc, etc

Around the Network

Avinash: It is good, but the formula keeps repeting, it still works as ever, but it is the same

RolStoppable said:
Seece said:
Rubang I don't think you're doing the cause much justice citing your OPINIONS as fact.

Those weren't opinions, those were indeed facts.

http://www.vgchartz.com/profiles/profile.php?id=36916

Seece: Why do you send us to a random user who doesn't have to do with the topic?
Ps: Personal Question: Why did you lock my "Don't you hate when your the last poster" thread?

RolStoppable said:
Seece said:
RolStoppable said:
Seece said:

Those weren't opinions, those were indeed facts.

http://www.vgchartz.com/profiles/profile.php?id=36916

http://vgchartz.com/profiles/profile.php?id=22548

http://www.vgchartz.com/profiles/profile.php?id=39046

I don't get why you are sending links to random users