By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The meaninglessness of "HD Twin" term, predictions & prize for being right.

Procrastinato said:

Both have 512MB memory. Both have similar (in performance) CPUs and GPUs. Crossplat development between these two machines is arguably easier than any other two consoles in history.

The Wii is a standout, architecture-wise.  Hence its not included, and the other two get the "twins" moniker.

By this logic, the Gamecube and Wii could be called twins as well.

I see the term HD Twins as a sign of affection.  I have no problem with it.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Around the Network

I dont like the term either. Thats why I always say the HD Consoles and not HDtwins. The term HDtwins is used to differenciate the HD Consoles from the Wii. Thats why they are counted together in marketshare. The Wii opened a new way of gaming which is different the HD Consoles are the classic consoles they have just changed in terms off power and graphic (and online) So the HD Console marketshare shows how big the classical gaming market is and its still bigger then the new market the videogame market has split up in two pieces. They are completly different the audiences are different the HD Consoles share everything the gamers the games the functionality. The difference between the PS3 and the Xbox 360 is much smaller then the difference between the Wii. Thats why they are called HD Twins even though most its an insult for the PS3 in my eyes because it has clearly an advantage technically (Bluray default HD and better graphics atleast now).

It is strange how some things just catch on for no reason. It seems more obvious to group the PS3/360 as the HD Consoles, so I wonder how the "HD Twins" term originated?

Please do not use this term you are Just looking for trouble if you do. There are similarities but they are in no way twins. Xbox fans and PS fans hate each others consols to say that they are twins realy burns them. Xbox 360 has a focus more on online games PS3 is more all around with blu-ray for movies. Don't cause trouble unnecessarly.

Love is whats most important.

This reminds me of the thread where someone said that Macs were not PCs.

Around the Network
Etech7 said:
Please do not use this term you are Just looking for trouble if you do. There are similarities but they are in no way twins. Xbox fans and PS fans hate each others consols to say that they are twins realy burns them. Xbox 360 has a focus more on online games PS3 is more all around with blu-ray for movies. Don't cause trouble unnecessarly.

Trouble?I dont see the problem...Both consoles can run games in HD,so you can call them HD twins,thats the most important,not online games,or blu-ray,or w.e you think.

09tarheel said:
It is strange how some things just catch on for no reason. It seems more obvious to group the PS3/360 as the HD Consoles, so I wonder how the "HD Twins" term originated?

I think Malstrom coined the term. If you google "HD Twins", all the results that relate to gaming go back to Malstrom.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

NJ5 said:
Reasonable said:
I thought it was only in reference to the fact that this gen two consoles offer HD graphics and one doesn't, linked to the adoption/preference for SD TV / console and HD console / TV.

That's always made some sense.

I think for most people it's much more than that.

They both have HD graphics of similar quality, an unprecedented number of multiplatform games between the two, similar online systems, similar controls, focus on media features (DVD/Blu-Ray, netflix, downloading movies etc), similar price (except perhaps when the PS3 was launched). On the business side they both lost tons of money to their respective companies, both were loss-leading, marketed towards the same demographics...

There's not much to choose from between the two beyond a few exclusive games, Blu-Ray and the paid/free online.

It's not an insult as some seem to take it, merely the realization that the two consoles are REALLY similar.

Yeah, I understand that.  My point is the main point of bundling them together as twins (at least for me) is to compare the adoption of HD gaming to SD gaming - i.e. are more people in total sticking with SD Wii presumerably wired up to an SD TV, or HD console?

I guess the fact that probably 90% of the games available on 360/PS3 are the same does add to the 'twins' arguement - in the end, from a games point of view, they offer mostly the same experience.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

ph4nt said:
If anything point number 1 confirms the HD twins are...twins.

Their fanbases act exactly the same.

In point 2, the PS2, Gamecube, and xbox were different from each other enough to not be called triplets. Ps3 and 360 share 90% of the same library, and 95% of high quality games. Similar control schemes, exact same target audiences, both are driving their respective networks hard, both are nearly identical graphically.

IF you want to be more specific, PS3 and 360 are not identical twins, but fraternal twins. They are both very similar, but have enough differences as to tell them apart from another. But it's easier to say "HD twins" than "HD fraternal twins"

This. I agree perfectly. And HD Twins is not an insult.

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Xenoblade (Wii), Super mario 3D land (3DS), Guild Wars (PC)

From now on, I won't call them "twins". I'll call them "cousins"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQTqKcojrVY

Xbox 360 is Patty. The PS3 is Cathy.