By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Unemployment falls as only 11K jobs lost in November

Some good news on employment

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/unemployment-rate-falls-to-10-in-november-2009-12-04

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

Given that November is usually one of the best months of the year, I wonder how bad it will be come January or February.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Something needs to be done soon, I've got a lot of friends are extremely qualified but can't get any work in their fields because companies are only looking for people with at least 5+ years of experience.

vgchartzgirl said:
Something needs to be done soon, I've got a lot of friends are extremely qualified but can't get any work in their fields because companies are only looking for people with at least 5+ years of experience.

That's true in a lot of fields at the moment, its because companies know that they can go after the more qualified candidates at the moment, its a buyers market in labor

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Avinash_Tyagi said:
vgchartzgirl said:

That's true in a lot of fields at the moment, its because companies know that they can go after the more qualified candidates at the moment, its a buyers market in labor

Yeah, I mean, I understand why companies are doing it, but it still sucks you know?  I mean, alot of kids just got out of college, how are they supposed to be able to get job experience in their field if they can't even be considered over the candidates that have been in the field for several years.  On the flip side though, I suppose the more experienced people have families to support and there are not enough jobs that will be pay the salary they need to pay all of their bills.  Stupid recession, I'm not saying there should be handouts, but it seems wrong to me that people who are in debt after they got their degrees are now having to pay them off with jobs they could have gotten 4 years prior right after high school.

Around the Network

^As a guy who is graduating as well, I completely agree with you, lol

vgchartzgirl said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
vgchartzgirl said:

Yeah, I mean, I understand why companies are doing it, but it still sucks you know?  I mean, alot of kids just got out of college, how are they supposed to be able to get job experience in their field if they can't even be considered over the candidates that have been in the field for several years.  On the flip side though, I suppose the more experienced people have families to support and there are not enough jobs that will be pay the salary they need to pay all of their bills.  Stupid recession, I'm not saying there should be handouts, but it seems wrong to me that people who are in debt after they got their degrees are now having to pay them off with jobs they could have gotten 4 years prior right after high school.

Also, why shoudl all the big CEO/board members get millions of dollars from the government when people are struggling to survive paycheck to paycheck?  There's no easy answer, but I wish something could be done.

Very good news... this has been the lowest drop in employment since December 2007, which was a significant date because that's when the recession started.

The economy is getting fixed.

damkira said:

Very good news... this has been the lowest drop in employment since December 2007, which was a significant date because that's when the recession started.

The economy is getting fixed.

You're familiar with the idea of a holiday job right?

Cause I'm looking at these numbers and the number of longterm unemployed rose another 293,000. Nearly 38% of unemployed persons have now been unemployed for longer than 27 weeks, a 2.7% increase from a month ago.  One of the primary focuses of stimulus was supposed to be "shovel-ready" projects but there has not been a single month where employment in that sector has gone up.  In fact it dropped another 27,000 jobs over the last month.

I'm happy people seem to have found some work for the time being, and I hope it is long-term, but until this trend actually continues into January and February I think it is wishful thinking to suggest it denotes any kind of turnaround.  People on this website, of all places, should understand that the holidays are extraordinary and that you cannot directly extrapolate Nov/Dec data to mean anything about the numbers in the other 10 months of the year.

To Each Man, Responsibility
vgchartzgirl said:
vgchartzgirl said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
vgchartzgirl said:

Also, why shoudl all the big CEO/board members get millions of dollars from the government when people are struggling to survive paycheck to paycheck?  There's no easy answer, but I wish something could be done.

Its not a matter of should, but its a matter of the notion that the government gives without really any understanding on HOW to give money away. It confounds me how we gave away hundreds of billions of dollars without an understanding of how it'd be used as stupidly as it has been.

Also, can someone answer me this:

How can unemployment go DOWN when the number of people employed went DOWN? These numbers just don't add up.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.