By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Another developer doesn't see "make games up to standard" as an answer.

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Procrastinato said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Procrastinato said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
^No its the third parties, I bring as an example Rabbids go home, no advertising or marketing, and a lot of people don't even know its out yet.

Or Dead Space, instead of making a full fledged shooter, they make it on rails and then whine when people don't buy it

Rabbids is an example that fits within the "low budget == no sales" category.

DS:E is the way it is, because looking that good, on the Wii, isn't possible without limiting the scope of what the player can do at any one time.  A cruddy-looking open shooter wouldn't have done better, and honestly, the demographics (or lack thereof) are what really killed it.

Well that's the third parties fault for not advertising it, Ubisoft can afford the budget for advertising the game, the fact that they didn't put money aside for it, proves they are either stupid or they have the wrong mindset.

Then why did RE4 sell over a million, why did Metroid prime and two call of Duty's sell over a million?  Off rail games can sell on Wii, and you can downgrade the graphics if you need to

I don't think RE:4 or MP3 would sell as many copies today as they did when they were released.  RE:4 had very little competition, and frankly, many of the early adopters of the Wii *were* hardcore gamers, who wanted to experience what the Wii could give them, in terms of game experience.  RE:4, RE:UC, and several other Wii launch/near-launch titles have seen success that has not been, and cannot be, repeated in this day and age, in my opinion.  Look at the HD shooters of the time, and compare -- Perfect Dark, Resistance, some junk no one will ever remember... they just didn't look that good, really.  Nowadays, the comparison is much more drastic.

I disagree, RE4 could still sell, because it wasn't about graphics but gameplay that made it so good, the game took all the good stuff that was of RE4 last gen, and gave it great Wii controls.

When RE5 came out, people were bashing it, and saying it should have been on Wii because they missed the Wii controls of RE4 Wii, clearly shows that people are more concerned about the gameplay than the graphics

And then Re5 went on to outsell Re4.

Clearly tells you that what people post on forum and what they really do are two different things...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Around the Network
Ail said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Procrastinato said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Procrastinato said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
^No its the third parties, I bring as an example Rabbids go home, no advertising or marketing, and a lot of people don't even know its out yet.

Or Dead Space, instead of making a full fledged shooter, they make it on rails and then whine when people don't buy it

DS:E is the way it is, because looking that good, on the Wii, isn't possible without limiting the scope of what the player can do at any one time.  A cruddy-looking open shooter wouldn't have done better, and honestly, the demographics (or lack thereof) are what really killed it.

Well that's the third parties fault for not advertising it, Ubisoft can afford the budget for advertising the game, the fact that they didn't put money aside for it, proves they are either stupid or they have the wrong mindset.

Then why did RE4 sell over a million, why did Metroid prime and two call of Duty's sell over a million?  Off rail games can sell on Wii, and you can downgrade the graphics if you need to

I don't think RE:4 or MP3 would sell as many copies today as they did when they were released.  RE:4 had very little competition, and frankly, many of the early adopters of the Wii *were* hardcore gamers, who wanted to experience what the Wii could give them, in terms of game experience.  RE:4, RE:UC, and several other Wii launch/near-launch titles have seen success that has not been, and cannot be, repeated in this day and age, in my opinion.  Look at the HD shooters of the time, and compare -- Perfect Dark, Resistance, some junk no one will ever remember... they just didn't look that good, really.  Nowadays, the comparison is much more drastic.

I disagree, RE4 could still sell, because it wasn't about graphics but gameplay that made it so good, the game took all the good stuff that was of RE4 last gen, and gave it great Wii controls.

When RE5 came out, people were bashing it, and saying it should have been on Wii because they missed the Wii controls of RE4 Wii, clearly shows that people are more concerned about the gameplay than the graphics

Clearly tells you that what people post on forum and what they really do are two different things...

Actually no, RE4 sold more, RE5 sold 5 million on two consoles, RE4 sold 6.38 million across three

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Ail said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Procrastinato said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Procrastinato said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

Actually no, RE4 sold more, RE5 sold 5 million on two consoles, RE4 sold 6.38 million across three

Re5 isn't done selling..........( I mean you do count Wii sales that happened 3 years or so after Re4 releases so give Re5 the same time frame).

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

^Explain how Nintendo makes so much profit on Wii? During a recession when third party developers like EA and Ubisoft war posting massive losses?

Nintendo doesn't dev games for HD.

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Avinash_Tyagi said:

This is why I love facts. You can't argue against facts (unless of course you said "Well the same people who bought it on GCN bought it on Wii!!!11!").

Around the Network
Procrastinato said:

There was no 2nd gunman.

Sorry, couldn't help it, with all the "3rd party Anti-Wii Conspiracy" talk.

Why can't you guys accept 3rd party upsetness over Wii revenue and demographics and try to understand that they are businessmen, not conspirators, nor are they chuckleheads who don't know how to analyze the market.

Believing that you know more than the folks who run these places is... mighty big talk. Seriously, you guys should start your own -- if your ideas are sound enough, you'll go the distance, right?  In the interests of actual business analysis, I suggest you take these folks words for what they are, rather than cooking up conspiracy theories, and approaching the problem from that perspective.

I find that part funny because their analysts haven't been very accurate at all.  I'm not an analyst and hindsight is 20/20, but some of the things they've come up with this gen have been laughable at best.  Also to the point about them being businessmen... their businesses aren't doing too well right now for some reason.

Smash Bros: 2363-5325-6342 

Procrastinato said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
"You're imagining that those same games could be decent at 1/4th the budget, and that's just not true."

I did NOT write that it cost that little. If you're just going to make up points we make to pretend you can counter them, I will ask you to leave the thread.

I was just using the commonly quoted number from John Ritticello, from a couple years back.  I didn't claim it was "your" number.(1)

If you've never believed said number was referring to anything but shovelware budgets, that's great -- very insightful of you. (2)  However, your post claimed that, somehow, moving projects the Wii, rather than the HDs, they would inherently become profitable.  I don't think you provided any backing to support that (or can provide it), so I (mistakenly, it seems) assumed you believed in the "all things Wii are cheap and 1/4th the price of HD things" fallacy.(3)

LordTheNightKnight: "They could save a hell of a lot of money putting at least a third of those big games on the Wii. Market unpredictability is just their BS to avoid putting those games on the system."

Feel free to support your theory above with some ideas of your own, about how publishers can just turn things around and begin making the big bucks on the Wii.  We would all like to read it, if its interesting, I'm certain. (4)

Just blowing smoke and saying that's-how-it-is is something that... well should entail you leaving the thread, as you say so brashly above.  It adds nothing.  Its propaganda, or, as you put it... "BS".

1. You wrote "you're imagining". As in you were claiming I was thinking that number. Or did you just use those words without knowing what they meant?

2. I wasn't believing in the number in the first place. You brought it up. Stop acting as though you can lecture me on an assumption I didn't even make.

3. YOU gave the backup. 1/2 half the budget or slightly more IS saving "a hell of a lot of money". But you're twisting it to rely on the 1/4 number, to try to make 1/2 half somehow not be that. That is bullshit.

4. You actually think putting a third of the big games on the Wii ISN'T a suggestion for that? Oh, yeah, costing just over 1/2 instead of 1/4 magically stops the games from being profitable.

This is just the same logic twisting as those companies use to aoivd the Wii. You're just as delusional as they are when presented with the simple facts (1/2 HD > /1/4 HD , but ignoring that 1 HD > 1/2 HD).

Just now, my roommates state they recognize the signs of someone who will make up anything to avoid seeing another point. Since you are doing that, I'm not replying to you anymore.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Ail said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

Re5 isn't done selling..........( I mean you do count Wii sales that happened 3 years or so after Re4 releases so give Re5 the same time frame).

Fair enough, but unless they port it to Wii and remake it in the RE4 engine, I don't see it happening, I don't see the PS3 wand version being a success, judging by the demo of the game

^^feel like removing some of the quotes from your quote so its not a page long?

specialops787 said:
^^feel like removing some of the quotes from your quote so its not a page long?

VGchartz is advertising in my posts now? shouldn't I get commission for that?