By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do you want the DS brand to continue?

We'll see, I'm quite fond of the name, but I'd only want it to stay if it made sense. And right now there's no telling what the future might hold, so... We'll see.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Around the Network

Yes. I like the dual screen, clamshell design, and I don't think it's been fully used to it's potential.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

The DS is the most popular system of all time. I wanna see it break the record and it has also tons of very good games.

guiduc said:
The DS is the most popular system of all time. I wanna see it break the record and it has also tons of very good games.

I'd love to see DS break the PS2 as best selling system ever too. However I don't want to see Nintendo not answer a PSP2. If and when the next PSP comes out I fully expect for the next Nintendo handheld to come out too. I think the DS will live on thanks to backwards compatability. The GameBoy:Advance kept selling well for a year or so after the DS came out. I'd expect the DS to have another year left in it after the next generation of handhelds start. So it could probubly still pass the PS2!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

d21lewis said:
Unless they add a third screen or something, I say keep it around a little longer.

Surprising. Nintendo dumped the Gameboy brand and took their name off of the console. Now they're on top of the world.

Gameboy was sexist!

Around the Network

I found this under a search for Nintendo DS 2 and I thought it was pretty interesting.  Of course it's photo-shopped but it is fun.

A real DS 2 would probably be more creative than that mock-up, though.

d21lewis said:
A real DS 2 would probably be more creative than that mock-up, though.

Yeah, it's not that special, apart from apparently thinner shell and the improved graphics, which are a no-brainer anyway but not essential (like this geneartion of handhelds has proven)

Imo the next DS will almost certainly have tilt-control built-in, as well as a touchscreen (maybe 2), long battery life and integrated web-browsing and music playback capabilities.

Also, 2 cameras again, like the DSi but higher resolution for photo- and video capture. Big screens.

A Mic, improved graphical power (I guess somewhere near the GameCube in terms of power, only a bit better than the PSP currently is). Will still use cartridges or something similar, but with downloadable games available as well via DSiWare and a Virtual console (featuring old handheld games, why do you think those are not on the Wii's VC...)

Perhaps something like a subtle rumble feature built in as well.

Then again, that's all just speculation on my part, and this IS Nintendo we're talking about, they might surprise us all, yet.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Yeah I do. Nintendo obviously will win like every gen with their handhelds, but they did an great job with the DS. The touch screen still works well with games. Just if they make a second one, it's gonna need a couple analog sticks. I don't like FPS much on DS cause not only do they rely on the touch screen for aiming, it's good, but for left-handed people, or maybe just a lot of people in general, it doesnt work the best.

I just like how the DS is like the PS2 of handhelds. Has so many different types of games. 2D, RPGs, and just so many other genres. And really while it has some shovelware, even a lot of those games have a potential to be good.

But the DS is fine. I think it can still sell a lot so they shouldn't rush out the next platform for a couple years.

Shadowfest3 said:

I found this under a search for Nintendo DS 2 and I thought it was pretty interesting.  Of course it's photo-shopped but it is fun.

The picture of the upper screen isn't from Mario Kart Arcade?I would love a DS like this anyway