By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Let's Play Together, VGChartz! Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen

Sullla said:

Oh wow, March of the Black Queen! One of my favorite games of all time. I even own one of those very rare SNES cartridges from back in the day some 15 years ago.

Everything about this game is so much fun, and I've played the game to death. I did the standard runthrough, the "best ending" game, the evil game with all the demonic characters, a "no flying units" game which poses some interesting problems (especially in the sky worlds), and my "girl power" variant where every unit in the army had to be female, including the leader. It's pretty tough getting started when you can only use about 30% of the starting army, and you have to use Amazons in the front row! Heh.

I also own Person of Lordly Calibre and Knight of Lodis, but honestly I don't like either game very much. Ogre Battle 64 has way too much focus on micro management; equipping and outfitting all of those units was a pain in the rear. Worse yet, the units move like slugs as they slowly creep around the map - and the maps are also tiny compared to the ones in March of the Black Queen. Yeah, the units are all rendered in early 3D, but it comes with major drawbacks. Give me the 2D icons from the SNES game any day; I always would play on maxed speed, and they fly around the map. But the death knell for Ogre Battle 64 is that you can't control your units as fully as in March of the Black Queen. In the SNES game, I would play my Wizards like a fine instrument, swapping between "Best", "Strong" and "Weak" a half-dozen times or more in each battle to isolate individual enemy units and slay them. Played with skill, you can destroy enemy units completely and almost never send them running back to the base. But in Ogre Battle 64, the units just kind of did things on their own, and that killed my enjoyment completely.

The tactical map makes Knight of Lodis a fundamentally different game. It's not bad, but it's not the same game either. The real killer in that game is that the AI is a complete moron... like epically stupid about moving and attacking. While March of the Black Queen's AI is simple, it's also effective.

Anyway, I could go on. If you want a quick intermediate/advanced tip, try sticking one Hawk Man/Eagle Man in each of your units. Even though these guys have pretty poor stats, they will turn the unit into Low Sky and grant the others great movement. You can make all or nearly all of your units Low Sky that way, and it makes the game very easy (maybe too easy...)

Semi-exploitative tactics include keeping all of your best weapons unequipped and then equipping them right before your units go into battle; you can use Brunhild in every single fight that way. Yes, it's very cheezy. You can also take much of the challenge out of the game by abusing the "Boots" (Seven League Boots) items, which allow you to warp units around the map. Send a High Sky unit ahead to capture a town, then warp in the rest of your army. Or make certain you never have a city recaptured by warping in defenders. But honestly, the game is more fun if you refrain from that stuff.

Finally, the mark of real skill in this game is never needing to use Tarot cards to win battles.  I haven't posted on this website in months, but I had to address this thread!

I WISH I had an SNES cartidige.

I used to rent the game like once a month from the rental store near me.  They had a going out of buisness sale... but someone got Ogrebattle before me.  Which I found strange since I was the only who ever rented it.

In retrospect i bet the owner took it up to funcoland or sold it on ebay.

The out of buisness sale happened... had to be over 10 years ago.  The funny thing is... it's still going on!

Around the Network

Well I restarted cause I decided I wanted to have an Iakuni lord.

Worked great so far. Got some powerful swords.

Still not sure about Lich Khutra but turning Lans into a vampire didn't kill him off... as i found Blood kiss in a unit in the 2nd battle where Lans fights the guy who killed his King.

It feels kinda different having Lans the Vampire take revenge rather then Lans the Knight... espeically with a pet Werewolf. (recruited)

So, i accidentally erased my file :( and now no princess >.
.>

Kasz216 said:

Still not sure about Lich Khutra but turning Lans into a vampire didn't kill him off... as i found Blood kiss in a unit in the 2nd battle where Lans fights the guy who killed his King.

It feels kinda different having Lans the Vampire take revenge rather then Lans the Knight... espeically with a pet Werewolf. (recruited)

That is kind of awesome.

@Sulla:

Would you be interesting in having your name listed? One little playthrough couldn't hurt, eh?

@benao87:

Aw man, that stinks. Sorry to hear that. What was the last mission you had done?

Khuutra said:
Kasz216 said:

That is kind of awesome.

@Sulla:

Would you be interesting in having your name listed? One little playthrough couldn't hurt, eh?

@benao87:

Aw man, that stinks. Sorry to hear that. What was the last mission you had done?

It really was.  Nothing changes story wise but it just feels different,

I really like Vampires.

Sure they can't attack during the day... but good luck damaging them then too.

With mages in the back they can do some real tanking... both during the day and night do to lifesuck.

Around the Network

I used that new "list game" feature. Did I get all the versions?

Khuutra said:
I used that new "list game" feature. Did I get all the versions?

Super Nintendo, Wii, PlayStation, and...Saturn?!

It looks like it, but then I never knew there was a Saturn version.

I didn't either until I did a search for it!

In my Princess's unit, the Valkyrie (Freya?) I was using ended up having an Alignment of like 35, somehow, even while everyone else was in the 90's or, in one case, the mid-60's.

I got rid of her and recruited an Angel Knight.

Angel Knights are pretty useful when they do two Banishes!

@ Khuutra I was at Slums of Zenobia. Now i'm almost there, right now i'm finishing Deneb's Garden.

Slums of Zenobia is tough. Good luck with it!

Going at one level per day is giving me a lot of time to reflect. One thing I've been reflecting on is Person of Lordly Caliber.

Man, that game is going to seem a lot more epic after I finish this one, and considering how I think of the game already, that's saying a lot.

The reason I wanted to change names in this game was that I always have one character in particular who I nurture to make my single strongest physical fighter, and I always name him Fordam. He's my go-to guy, the Dragoon who wears the Helm of the Fearless and carries the Caladbolg. All that good shit.

If I could rename characters here, Fordam would be the Samurai (eventually getting turned into a Paladin I suppose) with the Brunhild.