By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft: Project Natal to replace remote controls

I just watched the movie "gamer"
with Gerard Butler... not great.
BUT
it got me excited for Natal, the UI of gaming including everything from the menu systems to media content to even an FPS was shown in the movie.

Im not sure if Natal can measure space in 3d, but in Gamer the kid was holding a gun and giving command gestures with his other hand to move and fire.

it was pretty cool, and if nothing else is implemented correctly, I think Natal will be worth it just for navigating the XBL blades like a jedi.

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

Around the Network

Natal can measure space in 3d using an ir transmitter.

naznatips said:
Vetteman94 said:

So basically you are saying replace a real controller with a virtual one?  And how would that replace universal remotes that control mulitple sources? 

Not to mention you've just replaced something simple and quick to use with something that's signifficantly more difficult and slower.

Sure when you've got one combined DVD + TV and you've only got one remote and you only get channels 0-9, then sure you could say its quick and easy to use. However when you've got over 100 channels, a remote for the cable for the DVD player, for the stereo, for the tv then hell yes Natal is faster and easier. You could have the remote in your hand and Natal would probably beat you to changing the TV input from the cable to the PS3 with my setup at least.

Tease.

Meh... I think Microsoft should integrate Natal with controllers instead of replacing them.

Have Natal be able to pick up the controller's position in space, then you have something.

Rawnchie14 said:
Meh... I think Microsoft should integrate Natal with controllers instead of replacing them.

Have Natal be able to pick up the controller's position in space, then you have something.

Theres no reason to assume you can't use Natal + Controller. It kind of solves the dumb question of 'how do you walk with Natal' as well.

Tease.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
naznatips said:
Vetteman94 said:

So basically you are saying replace a real controller with a virtual one?  And how would that replace universal remotes that control mulitple sources? 

Not to mention you've just replaced something simple and quick to use with something that's signifficantly more difficult and slower.

Sure when you've got one combined DVD + TV and you've only got one remote and you only get channels 0-9, then sure you could say its quick and easy to use. However when you've got over 100 channels, a remote for the cable for the DVD player, for the stereo, for the tv then hell yes Natal is faster and easier. You could have the remote in your hand and Natal would probably beat you to changing the TV input from the cable to the PS3 with my setup at least.

So your defense of natal is that you will not get off your ass and go buy a cheap and much more effective universal remote?

PS with my remote I run my TV, volume, AT&T u-verse with hundreds of channels, switch inputs, and adjust my surround sound. With one remote. Half of which Natal will never be able to interface wtih.

Lord Flashheart said:

What never surprises me is how in every natal thread the amount of people intimidated and scared by something new.
Don't you people ever try new things? Get excited by new ideas? For a gaming forum there are a lot of luddites.

or maybe if it wasn't MS coming up with this you'd be more accepting

I wasn't intrested in the eyetoy, I wasnt intrested in the Wii, I am not intrested in sony wand or Natal.. some people dont get through theyre thick skulls that Microsoft is not the first ever makers of something like this..

Currently playing: MAG, Heavy Rain, Infamous

Getting Plat trophies for: Heavy Rain, Infamous, RE5,  Burnout and GOW collection once I get it.

naznatips said:
Squilliam said:

So your defense of natal is that you will not get off your ass and go buy a cheap and much more effective universal remote?

PS with my remote I run my TV, volume, AT&T u-verse with hundreds of channels, switch inputs, and adjust my surround sound. With one remote. Half of which Natal will never be able to interface wtih.

I haven't seen any good universal remotes personally.

Tease.

^I have, but theyre 130 euros and simply not worth it..

Currently playing: MAG, Heavy Rain, Infamous

Getting Plat trophies for: Heavy Rain, Infamous, RE5,  Burnout and GOW collection once I get it.

gamelover2000 said:
^I have, but theyre 130 euros and simply not worth it..

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-RM-VL600-8-Device-Universal-Learning/dp/B000F7JCRA/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1260372629&sr=1-11

$20 for an 8-device remote. And AT&T U-verse came with a remote that I was able to succesfully program to all my devices without issue.