By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft: Project Natal to replace remote controls

I still cannot believe how many of you think that if TV remotes took this route they will use natal and pay royalties to MS.

This "waving hands about in front of a camera shit" existed long before natal and even more similar technologies has cropped up since.

China must have released a hundred variations of natal last week.

OK maybe the above statement is a bit far-fetched but...c'mon.

Around the Network
r505Matt said:

2 things I really like about your post.

A) That mech game sounds fun =P

B) You're actually trying to come up with some way that Natal could do this, unlike most people that say 'this could work' or 'I don't want a nod of my head to turn off the TV'. I think, so long as there isn't this lag issue people are crying about, that your idea could work well. As for whether it makes it more efficient, I don't know, it might need something more/else.

I wouldn't be surprised if you could program certain motions as shortcuts, not to mention you should be able to set sensitivity.

An idea I had, instead of motions, voice commands. Think of those movies and TV shows "Computer, make me coffee". You could start with something people don't say normally (like Natal, or whatever the final product name is) and then say a command. It's not like you would say Natal 20 times in a normal conversion, so it shouldn't interfere with talking. Also, you could set sensivity as well for that, so maybe you want Natal to pick up your voice even if you're fairly quiet, or you want to need to speak louder to input commands. Some of it is kind of silly, but it definitely gives a futuristic feel. The ONLY way this works though is if the voice-recognition is FAR superior to what's on the market today. "Call Becka" Phone says/shows on screen "Did you mean Jonathon?" haha.

Or a mix of voice and gestures. Depth/motion sensing, voice commands, there are plenty of possibilities. My one worry about whether it could really work or not has to do with lag. I know most people are saying it wouldn't be over 100 ms of lag, but if its over eve 50 ms, it will be very annoying. But we'll have to wait and see, I am excited about the potential/possibilities though.

Yeah, I am just throwing ideas out there.  They might or might not work.  I thought that was what forums were for.  Throw ideas and have people provide feedback.  I appreciate positive and negative feedback, but only if they provide reasoning.

My idea would basically be transforming the tv into a touch screen interface.  The use of two hands could provide even more tactile control, especially if viewing pictures, or a browser.  No need for that clunky mouse and keyboard or analog stick to control the browser.  Move your hand in to click and then drag just like a touch screen.  Use two hands to perform zooms.  There could even be a virtual keyboard.  The only thing is the lack of a browser on the 360 :)  It could even make use of multiple people doing things at the same time.  This would only be for specific applications, like a puzzle game or collaborative work software.

And I think this could be faster than a remote.  Menu items could be directly clicked instead of scrolled to.  People would get very good at this and become used to where the button on screen matches to where there hand needs to be.  Much like you know how to move a mouse and click, people would become very efficient at how to move their hands.  And no more searching for the remote under the couch cushion or the trigger button on the 360 controller fast forwarding your movie when the cat run across it :)

EDIT:  And yeah, there could be shortcuts or more efficient additions to this basic concept.  Voice being an obvious one.  Also, I think Kodu said something about Natal being at most or under 100ms by release.  That isn't great, but it isn't a deal breaker.

Lord Flashheart said:
Alby_Da_Wolf.
you seem to think I was talking about you or anyone who doesn't like Natal.
I'm talking about the trouble makers only.
As I've said if you don't like it say so. Just give a reason why and not because you don't want to like Natal you've already dismissed it.

If that's you then it's you if not then don't worry about it it only applies to those trouble makers.

Fine, now it's quite more clear, well, maybe it's just that I tend to not react to people just saying that something sucks without explaining, I tend to look at them like sometimes colourful, sometimes else annoying noise, and I couldn't even tell you an approximate number of how many of them wrote here. Yes, I consider them trolls too, but I don't care very much. And like you, if they insult something I like or consider promising, I care a little more, but if they don't give any reason for their opinion, I don't waste time to answer, I prefer, when I have time and good objections, to answer to critics that give valid reasons for their criticism.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

That would be a great way to sell Natal.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

Alby_da_Wolf said:
Lord Flashheart said:
Alby_Da_Wolf.
you seem to think I was talking about you or anyone who doesn't like Natal.
I'm talking about the trouble makers only.
As I've said if you don't like it say so. Just give a reason why and not because you don't want to like Natal you've already dismissed it.

If that's you then it's you if not then don't worry about it it only applies to those trouble makers.

Fine, now it's quite more clear, well, maybe it's just that I tend to not react to people just saying that something sucks without explaining, I tend to look at them like sometimes colourful, sometimes else annoying noise, and I couldn't even tell you an approximate number of how many of them wrote here. Yes, I consider them trolls too, but I don't care very much. And like you, if they insult something I like or consider promising, I care a little more, but if they don't give any reason for their opinion, I don't waste time to answer, I prefer, when I have time and good objections, to answer to critics that give valid reasons for their criticism.

Then you're a better man than I.

I like being sarky and having a good argument and that get's the better off me . Maybe I'll try to take a page out of your book

Around the Network

^^
Don't! I'm calm here, but you should see how mad traffic makes me!

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

That's different. Drivers are stupid.
I mean other drivers are stupid.

^^
LOL. I live in a town almost as rainy as Ireland or Vietnam, yet most drivers look like they can't drive when it rains and they insist on doing it. Besides insisting on going to city centre by car when they perfectly know parkings are almost inexistent and the most expensive of all Italy too. Now the mayor decided to make also a lot of parkings in quarters not exactly central pay ones for nonresidents, so penalizing also those that tried to limit car use parking them as soon as they reached zones better served by public transport than suburbs... I'll end up buying a cheap chinese electric scooter...

Sounds like there would be too much error/inaccuracy. It'd just piss me off. I want to be a vegetable when watching my movies. I don't want to have to speak or wave my arms around to do shit.

^^
The picture that you made spring to my mind, people jumping, shouting and performing complex propitiatory dances to change channel, pump up or down the volume, adjust colour, contrast, etc, just made me realize that it would piss me too off to have to do it, but I could have some fun watching others doing it.