By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft: Project Natal to replace remote controls

Lord Flashheart said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

So are we biased against MS? Maybe, but maybe you are biased for it, nobody is neutral, call us trolls and we got the same right to call you astroturfer.

Only just noticed this. Your analysis of windows is subjective but you're opinion. My point on here isn't if people hate MS or not. They have a lot of flaws and done a lot of bad things just like Sony but done a lot more good. Well Gates has and as people like to think he and MS are the same when slating him then it should be true for the good things he's done in his personal life.

People are free to hate MS (bit wierd hating a company but then again people love Britney Spears) but to constantly attack anything MS instead of having a discussion about a product is frustrating and a waste of time. Dislike them, dislike Natal but if you can't put your point across in a clever non-flammitory way and want to troll bugger off. It doesn't help.

Some of the best comments in this thread have been from sony fans and that surprised me as from what I've seen on here that's a rarity in an MS thread (or a sony thread) I'm only calling the ones trolls who are attacking and finding any hangups they can think off then passing them off as absolute fact why it will fail no ifs, ands or buts. The people who offer no insight into why it will fail other than for them because it's MS, or not Sony or ninty. The ones who can't force themselves to even contemplate anything positive and are here to cause trouble. If you think I was refering to you when I used the word "troll" then ask yourself why did you think that?

Feel free to think it won't work and say why not, but do it in a manner that allows the discussion to continue.
Think about how it will be used instead of saying "if i make the slightest movement it'll change channel, fail" or "I don't want to have to jump up and down on my settee to turn the sound up" Yes because that's how it'll be implimented.

Use a bit of intelligence and imagination.
Don't be stupid all your lives.

Maybe I should go into the sony threads and say the dil...Zit on a stick will fail in every single dil...Zit on a stick thread I can find.
Have a "Join the Anti Dil...Zit on a Stick campaign" logo in my sig?
Lets see what these same people say then

Might have the word troll in there?

This is the problem with forums (and this site is awful for it). Instead of discussing, people just want to force their opinions out onto others. I welcome all intellectual debate, and, the same for me, the patient and understanding people who are on the other side of an arguement usually have the most interesting things to say (for me).

I could talk about how cool I think Natal will be, and if only Natal-believers respond, that's okay, but they'll mostly say things I've thought of already. But then someone Anti-Natal comes, and they bring up some very cool, very valid points. AND they do it respectfully. That's how a mature forum should be.

I completely agree though, if people are going to just leave comments like 'Well MS sucks, so I don't want any of their products' can just stay away. What do you add with a comment like that? Or here's a better comment that was in this thread

"Replace controller? That will never happen. You need buttons for certain experiences.

Keep on dreaming microsoft."

Why can't you say why you think it will never happen? What experiences do you NEED buttons for, and why can't it be replaced? If you explained that out, the last comment wouldn't be trollish, but by not describing your thought process, it just makes you sound short-sighted.

Further, when others respond with their thoughts about why they think those experiences CAN be replaced, and that buttons aren't necessary, actually think it through, don't just dismiss it because you didn't agree in the first place. Actually think it through, and you might find some of your ideas were wrong, or not warranted, or maybe even reaffirm what you already believed in.

Around the Network
numonex said:
Wii has its supporters and haters. Project Natal has its supporters and haters and is 12 months away from being launched. The haters will be eating crow when Natal takes off in sales and becomes popular.
You want salt with that crow?

would you like to bet on that? Cause I really don't think Natal will sell consoles. If anything, it seems to something that would appeal to someone who already owns a 360. The only way to boost console sales at this point is with software and price cuts.

Here is one idea of how a Natal UI could work.

Instead of an interface where there are no graphical displays and control would be done through gestures alone, there could be onscreen buttons that are "clicked".  With both hands you would make a sweeping upwards gesture to bring up the interface, which would contain the buttons corresponding to whatever it is that needs interacting with.  For example a movie interface, would have buttons for forward, pause, rewind, etc. 

Once the hands are swept up, the interface comes on screen.  Natal cannot tell where on the screen you are pointing, so there will be an onscreen effect(a swirling effect, or perhaps a hand) to represent where your hands are so you can move to the buttons.  The way the effect is placed on screen would be determining the hand position relative to the shoulders and extrapolate that over the resolution of the display device.  This way, the person is interacting with the screen relative to themselves and not the screen directly.  IE, the button is on the bottom left of the screen, the person would move their hand down to the bottom left of their body no matter where they are sitting.  This could also be calculated for people sitting in rotations less than 90 degrees from Natal.  People could relate to the effect on screen and quickly interact with whatever it is that needs interacting with.  This will of course make more sense to your brain if your body is at least mostly facing the screen.

The "click" could be performed by moving the hand towards the screen and back twice in succession.  Much like punching, or tapping the button.  Because Natal can detect depth quite easily, the movement does not have to be very much, but in order avoid false positives, a decent amount of movement would probably provide a better experience.

I am not saying a graphic less UI would not work with Natal, but that there is more than one way to do this.  This method could even work for several games.  Imagine a mech warrior type game where you are in a cockpit and all the controls are represented on screen.  You would maneuver by grabbing some joysticks relative to your body.  Push and pull levers to speed up/slow down.  That would be feasible using this method.  So you would have a 1:1 relationship with this virtual cockpit.

Lord Flashheart said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

So are we biased against MS? Maybe, but maybe you are biased for it, nobody is neutral, call us trolls and we got the same right to call you astroturfer.

Only just noticed this. Your analysis of windows is subjective but you're opinion. My point on here isn't if people hate MS or not. They have a lot of flaws and done a lot of bad things just like Sony but done a lot more good. Well Gates has and as people like to think he and MS are the same when slating him then it should be true for the good things he's done in his personal life.

People are free to hate MS (bit wierd hating a company but then again people love Britney Spears) but to constantly attack anything MS instead of having a discussion about a product is frustrating and a waste of time. Dislike them, dislike Natal but if you can't put your point across in a clever non-flammitory way and want to troll bugger off. It doesn't help.

Some of the best comments in this thread have been from sony fans and that surprised me as from what I've seen on here that's a rarity in an MS thread (or a sony thread) I'm only calling the ones trolls who are attacking and finding any hangups they can think off then passing them off as absolute fact why it will fail no ifs, ands or buts. The people who offer no insight into why it will fail other than for them because it's MS, or not Sony or ninty. The ones who can't force themselves to even contemplate anything positive and are here to cause trouble. If you think I was refering to you when I used the word "troll" then ask yourself why did you think that?

Feel free to think it won't work and say why not, but do it in a manner that allows the discussion to continue.
Think about how it will be used instead of saying "if i make the slightest movement it'll change channel, fail" or "I don't want to have to jump up and down on my settee to turn the sound up" Yes because that's how it'll be implimented.

Use a bit of intelligence and imagination.
Don't be stupid all your lives.

Maybe I should go into the sony threads and say the dil...Zit on a stick will fail in every single dil...Zit on a stick thread I can find.
Have a "Join the Anti Dil...Zit on a Stick campaign" logo in my sig?
Lets see what these same people say then

Might have the word troll in there?

I couldn't care less if you decide to troll about Sony's dil...wand, and it won't by any means offend me.

About Natal, in another thread I explained what makes me doubt that it could be as general purpose as WiiMote + Natal, sometimes joking, but never trolling and agreeing with other people that, for example, it coud be perfect fo some games, including dance ones, here in this thread I simply agreed with somebody else's doubts about its use as remote control and as I didn't write any posts before, here, I don't think you were calling me troll, but I felt you are a little bit jumpy calling so many other people trolls, because posts like Naznatips' and Naum's ones, use sarcasm or humour not just to dig at Natal, but to explain, and quite clearly too, their doubts.

As I simply agreed with some other people's doubt, here I'll add a particular doubt of mine: already now we have available tens channels, with digital terrestrial they'll become hundreds, choosing channels with gestures won't be more complex than by keying in a number on the remote?

Acceptable solutions to all these doubts and problems should avoid both overcomplex gestures and accidental input from people movements.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

JaggedSac said:

Instead of an interface where there are no graphical displays and control would be done through gestures alone, there could be onscreen buttons that are "clicked".  With both hands you would make a sweeping upwards gesture to bring up the interface, which would contain the buttons corresponding to whatever it is that needs interacting with.  For example a movie interface, would have buttons for forward, pause, rewind, etc. 

Once the hands are swept up, the interface comes on screen.  Natal cannot tell where on the screen you are pointing, so there will be an onscreen effect(a swirling effect, or perhaps a hand) to represent where your hands are so you can move to the buttons.  The way the effect is placed on screen would be determining the hand position relative to the shoulders and extrapolate that over the resolution of the display device.  This way, the person is interacting with the screen relative to themselves and not the screen directly.  IE, the button is on the bottom left of the screen, the person would move their hand down to the bottom left of their body no matter where they are sitting.  This could also be calculated for people sitting in rotations less than 90 degrees from Natal.  People could relate to the effect on screen and quickly interact with whatever it is that needs interacting with.  This will of course make more sense to your brain if your body is at least mostly facing the screen.

The "click" could be performed by moving the hand towards the screen and back twice in succession.  Much like punching, or tapping the button.  Because Natal can detect depth quite easily, the movement does not have to be very much, but in order avoid false positives, a decent amount of movement would probably provide a better experience.

I am not saying a graphic less UI would not work with Natal, but that there is more than one way to do this.  This method could even work for several games.  Imagine a mech warrior type game where you are in a cockpit and all the controls are represented on screen.  You would maneuver by grabbing some joysticks relative to your body.  Push and pull levers to speed up/slow down.  That would be feasible using this method.  So you would have a 1:1 relationship with this virtual cockpit.

So basically you are saying replace a real controller with a virtual one?  And how would that replace universal remotes that control mulitple sources? 

Around the Network
Vetteman94 said:
JaggedSac said:

So basically you are saying replace a real controller with a virtual one?  And how would that replace universal remotes that control mulitple sources? 

Not to mention you've just replaced something simple and quick to use with something that's signifficantly more difficult and slower.

naznatips said:
Vetteman94 said:
JaggedSac said:

Not to mention you've just replaced something simple and quick to use with something that's signifficantly more difficult and slower.

EXACTLY. When talking innovation you can take a step forward to introduce new ideas. When your talking of "replacing" things it has to not only be easier, but it needs to be more efficient.

The ideas people are thowing out sound cool but they arent plausible from a mass penetration standpoint.

I wonder if people wonder why  on forums we read these incredible ideas of uses for these products, but the people getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to actually do them dont, because they simply cant and it doesnt work.

The best example i have for this is home. Remember when we were supposed to have a facebook/myspace like online connectivity. To communicate through all mediums? Invite friends from other contries or states to our home space to share in watching a movie we are watching in our PS3? Go into the warhawk homespace to draw plans for a map and hop in game to utilize the strategy? Go to a games homespace to meet people looking to play and hop in to tackle team objective like LBP?

All sounds amazing on paper and in the forum, never comes to fruition because it isnt easy to do.

JaggedSac said:

2 things I really like about your post.

A) That mech game sounds fun =P

B) You're actually trying to come up with some way that Natal could do this, unlike most people that say 'this could work' or 'I don't want a nod of my head to turn off the TV'. I think, so long as there isn't this lag issue people are crying about, that your idea could work well. As for whether it makes it more efficient, I don't know, it might need something more/else.

I wouldn't be surprised if you could program certain motions as shortcuts, not to mention you should be able to set sensitivity.

An idea I had, instead of motions, voice commands. Think of those movies and TV shows "Computer, make me coffee". You could start with something people don't say normally (like Natal, or whatever the final product name is) and then say a command. It's not like you would say Natal 20 times in a normal conversion, so it shouldn't interfere with talking. Also, you could set sensivity as well for that, so maybe you want Natal to pick up your voice even if you're fairly quiet, or you want to need to speak louder to input commands. Some of it is kind of silly, but it definitely gives a futuristic feel. The ONLY way this works though is if the voice-recognition is FAR superior to what's on the market today. "Call Becka" Phone says/shows on screen "Did you mean Jonathon?" haha.

Or a mix of voice and gestures. Depth/motion sensing, voice commands, there are plenty of possibilities. My one worry about whether it could really work or not has to do with lag. I know most people are saying it wouldn't be over 100 ms of lag, but if its over eve 50 ms, it will be very annoying. But we'll have to wait and see, I am excited about the potential/possibilities though.

Hmm, would be cool to do it in Minority Report-style.

How are you going to convince Natal though that it has to give my preferences for tv and not of the girlfriend who just walked in? (that problem is always solved by hiding the remote >_>)

Alby_Da_Wolf.
you seem to think I was talking about you or anyone who doesn't like Natal.
I'm talking about the trouble makers only.
As I've said if you don't like it say so. Just give a reason why and not because you don't want to like Natal you've already dismissed it.

If that's you then it's you if not then don't worry about it it only applies to those trouble makers.