By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Need Help! Lost some saves when switching to new HDD

I would think it would work the same. I'm glad you made this thread, I plan on upgrading on my memory...now I know what BS awaits me.

Around the Network
Xbbjf9s said:
I would think it would work the same. I'm glad you made this thread, I plan on upgrading on my memory...now I know what BS awaits me.

Yeh make sure you have a big external drive to back up all the info on the PS3. That was my mistake of only having a 8 GB USB drive when there's 30 GB of information.

Gilgamesh said:
Xbbjf9s said:

Yeh make sure you have a big external drive to back up all the info on the PS3. That was my mistake of only having a 8 GB USB drive when there's 30 GB of information.

I will. Thanks

whats lost is lost, sorry for u though

yes u can put ur old one back in it wont ask u to reformat it some games have copy rights though but not gta4 or re5 there was a patch for re5 that took away the protection awhile ago maybe u just didnt copy thoose 2 games and thought u did it happens

thats y i swapped my hhd b4 i really bought games 4 my ps3 i had the 60gb and all the reports of game installs being 5gb and looking at how big demos where i decided to swap to 160gb even though at the time i had alot of space left on my 60gb hhd

after ur done with coping ur saves that u may of forgot u should use ur old hdd as a back up just get the case for it that allows u to hook up a usb cable to the hdd

wat size and rpm is ur new hdd?

Play Me

Around the Network
BHR-3 said:
yes u can put ur old one back in it wont ask u to reformat it some games have copy rights though but not gta4 or re5 there was a patch for re5 that took away the protection awhile ago maybe u just didnt copy thoose 2 games and thought u did it happens

thats y i swapped my hhd b4 i really bought games 4 my ps3 i had the 60gb and all the reports of game installs being 5gb and looking at how big demos where i decided to swap to 160gb even though at the time i had alot of space left on my 60gb hhd

after ur done with coping ur saves that u may of forgot u should use ur old hdd as a back up just get the case for it that allows u to hook up a usb cable to the hdd

wat size and rpm is ur new hdd?

It's a 320 GB, 5400 RPM, so your positive it won't ask me to reformat, because if I take out my new HDD and pop in the old one and if it ask me to reformat then I'm f*cked because that means I'll have to reformat my new HDD that I put so much work into getting back to what my 60 GB was.

Once you take out your HDD it will ask to reformat any new HDD. It happened to me on both my old 60GB and my current 80GB when I upgraded the HDD. Any time you do a backup you should always delete all of the game data, games, demos and whatever else can be downloaded easily from the PSN store. That way the backup file will be small and manageable and there isnt any worries about losing anything.

you can switch between the hdd's when you want, i did that for a weeks until i got my terabyte external hdd

you should have copied your files on your usb to your computer temporarily. deleted what was on the usb go back and grab the rest. Tranfsfer what was on the usb to your ps3, delete that then grab what you stored on the computer and put it onto the ps3. I had to do that.

CURRENTLY PLAYING:  Warframe, Witcher 2

@KylieDog, I guess, I have a couple other saves but none of them are anywhere near where I was with my auto save, damn that sucks. Same with GTAIV, I got about $900,000 in my auto save, and my most recent save has $80,000 T_T....

@Vetteman94 and almcchesney, ok one of you guys are saying it does reformat the HDD right away and the other is saying it doesn't.... This has been happening a lot in this thread, some people are saying the HDD won't have to get reformated everytime you put a HDD in the PS3 and the others are saying it doesn't ask to get reformated, this is pretty important because if I have to reformat both my old and new HDD then I'm going to lose everything.

@Soulsamurai, I was thinking about doing that but my laziness kicked in, I figured I had everything and I was thinking all 'Game Data' was is just some of the games data, patches and upgrades and I'd just re-downlaod all the patches over again on the new HDD, maybe the auto save was in there? I don't know.

Does anyone know anyway I could access the information in my old HDD without having to put it in the PS3?