By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games on PC and MAC's are NOT PC EXCLUSIVES!

Are you serious? Mac's are PCs.

PC always meant personal computer. Computer means processor. So PC in essence was a bus word to say personal processor. In essence PC can mean any console, to any phone, etc. If it has a processor, it's a PC. However lets just forget the logistics. This started back when Apple tried to distinguish itself by calling itself a mac. Now this was nonsense but it caught on, a mac is a PC, they knew that, but did not want to be associated with being "boring". Over time people developed it, and there was actually one huge difference, mac's used PPC. Not to say you couldn't install a GNU/linux, or unix system on PPC, but as for windows(which held the largest market share, of 90% at the time, it's at 92% now) could not be adapted due to microsoft putting all effort to intel(and amd). Time pased, PPC became less and less popular and apple finally moved on to intel. They recompiled OSX to work with intel. Also OSX is not even developed by apple. It's actually FreeBSD, which they took the kernal and source code and added a GUI(essentially). So now there is absolutely no difference, and to purpose a game on mac is now as easy as PC, it litterally just requires recompiling(more to it then that, but before they would have to re-write nearly all code to use PPC).

TL:DR Anyone who thinks a mac is different from a PC is an idiot.

Around the Network
Chairman-Mao said:
Geez quit whining people.

First games on 360 and PC can't be called 360 exclusive (even though this is a console sales site)

now your complaining about games being called PC exclusive when they're on Mac as well.

Exclusive means one system only. That's how it's always worked and always will.

^pc is not 1 system though. If you want to break it down like that you need to list all hardware of your system so we can identify what system you own :p ... See this is where it get's rediculous.

Check out my game about moles ^

Garnett said:

@Rvdondapc

www.apple.com does not sell computers, they sell MAC'S.

MAC's are high performance computers used for heavy duty work.

PC are computers used for web browsing and youtube type stuff.

Now before you try and say "Aaha! You just said MAC'S are computers" i must add, PS3 can also do youtube and stuff therefore they must be a PC! No there not, PC and MAC are different, Different OS and different build, the ONLY thing they have in common are the parts, but much like the 360 and PS3 they are DIFFERENT!

Actually there is no difference. They use the same parts, and if you build the SAME computer, AKA same build, macs are priced much higher. Same parts, same motherboard, etc. They price things high. Though so does dell and every other prebuilt. But mac and alienware(which is owned by dell) are fucking expensive, for what you get. Also OSX, is free. So don't you even dare try to say that is what makes macs more expensive. OSX is built from freeBSD, a free unix based system, they added a GUI to it, that is it. They are not even high performance.

Mac workstations, which is what you are talking about, or xeon workstations(etc), only hold 15% of the marketshare for doing work related procedures, from rendering, to video editing, to building etc. The rest are normally custom builds(save a company a fucking lot of money, since xeon workstations from apple can cost upwards or 30grand(or a base of about 8 grand). Dell also holds 8% of the workstation market with there xeon workstations, which are the same parts but priced lower, and DELL is KNOWN for overpricing.

Lurker said:
Chairman-Mao said:
Geez quit whining people.

First games on 360 and PC can't be called 360 exclusive (even though this is a console sales site)

now your complaining about games being called PC exclusive when they're on Mac as well.

Exclusive means one system only. That's how it's always worked and always will.

No, one platform only. PC(Linux, windows, or OSX(AKA freeBSD)) are all same platform. Based of x86, or adapted to x64.

Around the Network

i agree.
I think people should be banned for saying a game is pc exclusive.

Its not about the system, its about the games.
The wii, ps3 and 360 are all consoles, but we dont combine them, we seperate them because they play different games, you cant play a ps3 game on a wii. Also, the 360 and ps3 both have multiple differnt models with different chips and stuff inside, but we still combine them, because they all play the same games. All ps3 games work on all ps3, no matter what model.

You dont need to know all the hardware different people have in a pc, because a pc game will work on any pc (assuming its new enough). If the game works on all of them, then they can be combined as 1 format. If ps3 games worked on the 360, there wouldnt be a need to seperate them.

Can you play a mac game on a pc? If not, the pc and mac should be seperate. Im not a pc gamer so i dont know, but im pretty sure ive seen games for both pc and mac seperated in stores.
Therefore, if the game is released in multiple formats, whether its pc and mac, or ps3 and 360, its not exclusive.

If however, a mac game can be installed and run without modification on a non-mac pc, then just ignore my entire post.

People on this forum don't even know what PC stands for. This is utterly hilarious, I actually woke up the gf form laughing at some of the replies in here. Bookmarking this thread for further hilarity at the cost ignorance of the human race.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

vlad321 said:

People on this forum don't even know what PC stands for. This is utterly hilarious, I actually woke up the gf form laughing at some of the replies in here. Bookmarking this thread for further hilarity at the cost ignorance of the human race.

Firstly, i was using the acronym PC to refer to non-mac computers, as was everyone else i think. 

Secondly, Apple themselves refer to other computers as PCs.  Havent you seen their ads? "I'm a mac" "and I'm a PC"?

You know when people say something was "owned" that the thing is not literally owned by the other? Words change meaning, and common use meanings are just as valid as dictionary meanings when your trying to communicate an idea.  All the OP is saying is Macs are apple computers, while Pcs are non-apple computers.  ...at least i think thats what hes saying.

Man said:
vlad321 said:

Firstly, i was using the acronym PC to refer to non-mac computers, as was everyone else i think. 

Secondly, Apple themselves refer to other computers as PCs.  Havent you seen their ads? "I'm a mac" "and I'm a PC"?

You know when people say something was "owned" that the thing is not literally owned by the other? Words change meaning, and common use meanings are just as valid as dictionary meanings when your trying to communicate an idea.  All the OP is saying is Macs are apple computers, while Pcs are non-apple computers.  ...at least i think thats what hes saying.

owned! And I don't mean in the way that Man actually had ownership of vlad at some point.

anyway, jk, I just wanted to make that joke.