By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Video game piracy is not stealing!!!!!

Haha yeah.. not exactly the same thing to claim research as your own and publishing it for for your own recognition, as downloading a game and playing it by yourself. Otherwise I myself released a hell of a game the other day, Modern Warfare 2, heard of it? I did it. Please send money to my PayPal account as apprectiation:D

Around the Network

If you take a piece of bubble gum from the machine

with out paying your quater, your not stealing..

Sure... that makes alot of sense, the lock is on there for looks and so is the quater slot.

eggs2see said:
Haste262 said:
JWS said:

silicon said:
By pirating you limit the revenue streams of some developers and publishers. These companies are fundamentally driven by creative work produced by teams of artists.

In order to for someone to fund a project such as a videogame, they require some knowledge that they will be allowed to recoup the costs to create the work.

By pirating games you steal from the rest of society the potential for greater and more innovative games due to the restrictions placed on developers in order to be able to recoup costs.

This also applys to people who rent, borrow and buy used games. Blockbuster and gamestop are no better than the guy who posts a game on the pirate bay.

You pay to rent from stores, you have to give it back. They will even get more money in the long run by renting rather than selling that 1 particular game. Buying used is just like a reduction, you still pay and pay for the asked price.

The game companies don't make any money out of rented titles or used titles so in that sense it is the same as getting a pirated copy.  I don't like getting pirated copies of games as i think if you want to play the game and feel it is good enough (and want to see future games from the developer) than you should pay for that.  At the same time i don't see any reason not to download older titles instead of buying used games, or if you are looking for an older title that you would be getting used also.  Pretty much unless you are buying a game brand new it is the same as "stealing" it to the developers revenue.

I used to rent video games and to make any money at all you had to keep new titles that people want to play. So don't tell me the companies didn't make any money from the thousand or so titles that I purchased.

Well if you wanna not pay for something and use it, at least don't tell us about it!

What good would it do you? Or us for that matter.

@eggs2see: My wife works at a DVD rental place and she said they pay fees to be able to rent the games and DVDs, so renting is not piracy because money is going back to the publisher.

Selling an old used game is also not piracy because nothing has been infringed. If you were to sell and old car, or bike, or house, are you committing piracy? No, because you are selling the original work, not a copy. When you purchase a game or a computer program or music you are essentially purchasing the license to use that material. You have not purchased a license to distribute the material, or rent it and make money etc. The publisher retains that right, and they have payed to have it. If you make copies of it you are not allowed to use both at the same time. Eg, you break the law if you are at home listening to a copy of Linkin Park while your girlfriend is driving around in the car listening to the original.

When you sell a game or program you are selling your license to use that data. So if you have burnt a copy and you keep it to play you are pirating because you have forfeited your right to use the data.

The thing is when you buy a game from the shop or digital distribution you are buying the license, and any materials used to make the games packaging. It’s this license (the right to play the game) that you are infringing on. Its like driving around in an unlicensed car, or using a program where the license has expired. It’s all illegal and a ban is nothing compared to the jail sentence pirates deserve.

Does that make sense?

If at first you don't succeed, you fail

Around the Network

A few things to consider OP

Having an alt account is a bannable offence
If you actually were, as you claim, banned for stating that you own pirated games, I think you have been falsely banned. Read the forum rules, I can't remember exactly but I though it was only a bannable offence to request or supply pirated games. If you are going to protest your ban, do it by email, not by an alt's forum post and be polite

It is stealing, because stealing is a legal term and is defined by the courts.

If you were to argue that the courts should redife in, I kind of agree

piracy ruins the economy and gaming, it really it is stealing, it steals aways jobs, all at the cost of not being able to pay for the damn game >_>

StiC said:
eggs2see said:
Haste262 said:
JWS said:

silicon said:
By pirating you limit the revenue streams of some developers and publishers. These companies are fundamentally driven by creative work produced by teams of artists.

In order to for someone to fund a project such as a videogame, they require some knowledge that they will be allowed to recoup the costs to create the work.

By pirating games you steal from the rest of society the potential for greater and more innovative games due to the restrictions placed on developers in order to be able to recoup costs.

This also applys to people who rent, borrow and buy used games. Blockbuster and gamestop are no better than the guy who posts a game on the pirate bay.

You pay to rent from stores, you have to give it back. They will even get more money in the long run by renting rather than selling that 1 particular game. Buying used is just like a reduction, you still pay and pay for the asked price.

The game companies don't make any money out of rented titles or used titles so in that sense it is the same as getting a pirated copy.  I don't like getting pirated copies of games as i think if you want to play the game and feel it is good enough (and want to see future games from the developer) than you should pay for that.  At the same time i don't see any reason not to download older titles instead of buying used games, or if you are looking for an older title that you would be getting used also.  Pretty much unless you are buying a game brand new it is the same as "stealing" it to the developers revenue.

I used to rent video games and to make any money at all you had to keep new titles that people want to play. So don't tell me the companies didn't make any money from the thousand or so titles that I purchased.

They absolutely made money from every game that you bought to rent out. They also made money from the copy the guy posted to the internet. They didn't make any money on any of the rentals or any of the bittorrent downloads. So in the eyes of the game industry the renters and pirates earn them the same amount of profits, zero.

dystopia said:
hsrob said:
dystopia said:
noname2200 said:
dystopia said:
Haste262 said:
dystopia said:
Haste262 said:
they do not lose anything

I dnno they may loose, whats that thing again? Oh yea, money.

Pirates should not moan for getting banned, its completely idiotic. They deserve banning at the very least and should just accept it. This thread/your post is pretty idiotic tbh. No offence, but it is clearly stealing.

I'm having a hard time understanding how admiting to doing something OFF SITE is a bannable offense. No matter if it's stealing or not, someone just says "I pirated a game once" they get banned? how can someone confirm that happened?

I wasnt on about him there, i was just saying in general. Pirates deserve nothing less than a ban.

See I have to disagree, if it didn't happen on this site, how is it a bannable offense? Should someone get banned if they admited to commiting a felony before? That's just as serious an offense as copyright infringement, but how do you prove it's true? That's my biggest problem, how can you be sure someone did something just cause they said they did? y

Speaking personally, I believe banning people for that is perfectly justifiable: either they're telling the truth about their actions, in which case you implicitly seem to think a ban is warranted, or they're lying, in which case they're trying to get a rise out of people (not to mention mucking up the site).

I just don't think it's right to ban someone for something you can't prove they did. If it's because they are trying to start a fight, that's different and that would have to be a judgement call, but if they are simply just discussing a topic like piracy, and they aren't posting links or helping anyone else pirate a game, I just don't see how that is bannable.

Why do you have to prove it anyway?  If somene confesses to a crime the authorities don't continue gathering evidence. 

Anyway, people seem to be under the misapprehesion that Vgchartz is a democracy.  It's not, it's a benevolent dictatorship.  If ioi or the Source or whomever decided they don't want admitted pirates on their website because they feel those people's actions are harmful to an industry they love, then they are perfectly within their rights to do so. In fact they are perfectly within their rights to do so without any justification. 

OT: Spend three years working on a research paper, have someone steal an electronic copy and publish it under their own name.  You can have the original, after all the person didn't really steal anything, but three years of your life and any acclaim that you may have gained are gone.  You think this isn't worth something, you think this isn't worth protecting?

Since when did pirating a video game involve changing the credits and republishing it? I think that's a little bit different then pirating a game. And if they don't want admited pirates on the site, it should be clear and say that.

I'm not suggesting they are exactly the same thing but that's how laws work.  Laws were created to protect intellectual property i.e. a good or valuable idea that someone deserves credit/reward for which then becomes applied later in a progressively broader sense unless there is legally a good reason for not allowing the law to apply in that broader sense.

If you concede the value of intellectual property in any sense then the issue is not whether or not piracy constitutes stealing, it's that people have the right to create and the right to acknowledgement of the value of that intellectual creation, and the right to protection of that creation and all associated rewards, be they acclaim or financial. 

People can argue that it's a victimless crime or a lesser crime than actual physical theft and I can agree with that to some extent but in the sense of whether it's ethically right or wrong, it's wrong.

hsrob said:
dystopia said:
hsrob said:
dystopia said:
noname2200 said:
dystopia said:
Haste262 said:
dystopia said:
Haste262 said:
they do not lose anything

I dnno they may loose, whats that thing again? Oh yea, money.

Pirates should not moan for getting banned, its completely idiotic. They deserve banning at the very least and should just accept it. This thread/your post is pretty idiotic tbh. No offence, but it is clearly stealing.

I'm having a hard time understanding how admiting to doing something OFF SITE is a bannable offense. No matter if it's stealing or not, someone just says "I pirated a game once" they get banned? how can someone confirm that happened?

I wasnt on about him there, i was just saying in general. Pirates deserve nothing less than a ban.

See I have to disagree, if it didn't happen on this site, how is it a bannable offense? Should someone get banned if they admited to commiting a felony before? That's just as serious an offense as copyright infringement, but how do you prove it's true? That's my biggest problem, how can you be sure someone did something just cause they said they did? y

Speaking personally, I believe banning people for that is perfectly justifiable: either they're telling the truth about their actions, in which case you implicitly seem to think a ban is warranted, or they're lying, in which case they're trying to get a rise out of people (not to mention mucking up the site).

I just don't think it's right to ban someone for something you can't prove they did. If it's because they are trying to start a fight, that's different and that would have to be a judgement call, but if they are simply just discussing a topic like piracy, and they aren't posting links or helping anyone else pirate a game, I just don't see how that is bannable.

Why do you have to prove it anyway?  If somene confesses to a crime the authorities don't continue gathering evidence. 

Anyway, people seem to be under the misapprehesion that Vgchartz is a democracy.  It's not, it's a benevolent dictatorship.  If ioi or the Source or whomever decided they don't want admitted pirates on their website because they feel those people's actions are harmful to an industry they love, then they are perfectly within their rights to do so. In fact they are perfectly within their rights to do so without any justification. 

OT: Spend three years working on a research paper, have someone steal an electronic copy and publish it under their own name.  You can have the original, after all the person didn't really steal anything, but three years of your life and any acclaim that you may have gained are gone.  You think this isn't worth something, you think this isn't worth protecting?

Since when did pirating a video game involve changing the credits and republishing it? I think that's a little bit different then pirating a game. And if they don't want admited pirates on the site, it should be clear and say that.

I'm not suggesting they are exactly the same thing but that's how laws work.  Laws were created to protect intellectual property i.e. a good or valuable idea that someone deserves credit/reward for which then becomes applied later in a progressively broader sense unless there is legally a good reason for not allowing the law to apply in that broader sense.

If you concede the value of intellectual property in any sense then the issue is not whether or not piracy constitutes stealing, it's that people have the right to create and the right to acknowledgement of the value of that intellectual creation, and the right to protection of that creation and all associated rewards, be they acclaim or financial. 

People can argue that it's a victimless crime or a lesser crime than actual physical theft and I can agree with that to some extent but in the sense of whether it's ethically right or wrong, it's wrong.

That's because they aren't the same. But that is not the issue at hand, piracy is a massive grey area and I'm really not interested in debating whether piracy is or is not stealing, the legality of piracy is not universal, and thus there is always going to be an arguement. I'm more concerned with the simple admission of the act being grounds for banning, when such things are not clearly stated in the rules and when proving the act even occured, was a joke, etc. The rules need to be clear on the subject, what if someone pirated a game 10 years ago and admited it? should they be banned? I've seen threads here about doing drugs, which is illegal in many countries, should that be a bannable offense too? where is the line drawn with these things?