By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Super Mario Galaxy Leaked!

Apparently Super Mario Galaxy has been leaked on to the internet before it's release anywhere in the world.

Many sites are reporting this as well and it appears to be true. 

It has been uploaded to torrent sites which claim to have the game for download and working on both NTSC and PAL consoles with mods. It appears to be the American English version too!

What the hell??!

Quote:
This NeoGAF post has information on the apparent leak of the Mario Galaxy code well before the game's official release. It seems that the demo copies found at local Electronics Boutique stores only have a ten minute time limit when played on EB's proprietary demo machines, and when played in consumer Wiis, the disc actually contains the full version of Galaxy. Taking advantage of this, a scurvy EB employee lifted the disc, copied the data from it, and uploaded it all directly into the cargo hold of his nearest Internet receptacle.

While it is still not possible to download the data, burn it, and play it without certain black market modifications to one's Wii, such items aren't tremendously hard to find. While my desire to not be crushed under Reggie Fils-Aime's boulder-like fists prevent me from going into great detail on the subject, enough people know how to find these resources to make this news of great importance. I can't imagine Nintendo is very happy about this, but the cat is out of the bag, dressed as a bumblebee, and flying around the room regardless of what they do now.
Below is the source:
What are your thoughts guys??

Around the Network

In 3 days, a Japanese version without any modifications will be online.

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

Old news

I am a PC gamer, and also have a NDS now, but without access to a Nintendo Wii until End of 2007.

Currently playing: Super Smash Brothers Brawl(Wii), Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer(DS), Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (DS), WiiFit(Wii)

Games Recently Beaten: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King (Normal; Very Hard after the next DLCs become available)

1 word: RTFA

Ehh. A couple hundred people worldwide might take advantage of this. Modded Wiis aren't common, and the download isn't exactly easy to find. This is a non-event.

I will hunt down and kill anyone who plays the pirated version without buying a copy.

Around the Network

its rumored to be taken from a kiosk disk in America, which is apparently the full game. It does work on hacked machines, but only one ones with certain 'mods'

It seems nintendo have taken steps to stop the piracy of their key title and i would expect other games to follow suit, even though its far from a real fix.

this is pretty huge news. Although from what I heard it has some sort of protection scheme making it not work on mod chips yet. Whether this is a difference with the demo kiosk version or whether it's a new copy protection scheme is yet to be seen, but apparently it's already been cracked but the updates are as of yet unavailable. I hope this update comes soon because theory is that even a legally purchased copy of Galaxy won't work on a modified console.

I don't think this will effect sales though. I can't see too many people downloading this that wouldn't have just downloaded it anyway. Breaking street date may convince a few people to download it (once the copy protection is cracked) but most either won't trust the release or will just wait the week or so until its release.

EDIT: although it's tempting, I don't think it's worth downloading this, if you have a modded Wii. There's no proof that this is the finished game, it could be an earlier version with bugs/differences/whatever. Better to be patient and wait for it to be released (there's plenty to play in the meantime). Anyway, I hope Nintendo learns from this and doesn't give full versions of games to stores for kiosks

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

I think more than a couple hundred. Thousands of people downloaded MP3 before it got release in PAL format. Hope this doesn't happen with Galaxy.

Don't think it will hinder sales too much though - it's released in a few weeks everywhere anyway.

Also mods are actually more common than you may think.

Desroko said:
Ehh. A couple hundred people worldwide might take advantage of this. Modded Wiis aren't common, and the download isn't exactly easy to find. This is a non-event.

A few 100 people? Why are people on here so nieve to piracy?  I use usenet to get tv show downloads and the site i use to get them also provides wii games, this single site has already had 150 downloads for SMG and that will be a drop in the ocean compared to torrent sites.

Its a very BIG problem already, hence nintendo taking steps to stop it at last.

eddie182 said:
I think more than a couple hundred. Thousands of people downloaded MP3 before it got release in PAL format. Hope this doesn't happen with Galaxy.

Don't think it will hinder sales too much though - it's released in a few weeks everywhere anyway.

Also mods are actually more common than you may think.

No, they're not. It's only when you confuse the real world for the online world that tiny niche communities like modders appear large.

The number of people that actually pay attention to this news, would want and are capable of downloading and burning the game, and have a modded Wii is small. 99% of the gaming public don't meet one of these qualifications, let alone all of them.