By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - ( PCWorld ) Why The Wii Needs an HD Visual Upgrade

One of the things that helps make AC great is higher resolution and it's drawing distance. It may be possible be play AC2 on a 13" black and white TV yet that would not be ideal. ( It's possible to play a PC racing sim with a keyboard and a mouse yet that also is not ideal.)
I agree with the article higher resolution is not just fluff as it adds to the viewing area and able to see more detail with distance objects even with average graphics.

Around the Network
Smidlee said:
steven787 said:

Three years of outselling the competition, and people still refuse to admit Wii is a success and a good portion of people do not care about HD.

VGChartz Hardware data for the period 12th Nov 2006 to 07th Nov 2009:

Console Wii PS3 X360
Total

Wii fit is a success yet it still not much of a game. Wii is a huge success for mini-games. Compared to a lot of Wii shovelware sales a game like Valkyria Chronicles looks like a failure.

But I don't see how Wii or Nintendo need a visual upgrade.

Nintendo is a company, companies have the goal of profit.  Wii is a product, products are things that companies sell to get profit.

Nintendo and Wii don't have a problem.

Some people have the problem.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

On second thought I'm wrong. Even a game like Mario Kart Wii could benefit greatly with HD. I was at first thinking single player but with split screen HD would be huge benefit. Wiith 720p 2 way split screen Mario Kart would have more pixels per person than a single player SDTV. It would be basically be two TV screens in one.

Yeah, easier split screen will be a great advantage for the next Nintendo system.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
Yeah, easier split screen will be a great advantage for the next Nintendo system.

Here's hoping. More likely, developers will just keep pushing polygons, texels and shaders, then complain that they didn't leave enough resources for local splitscreen multiplayer.

But hey, if your buddy picks up a controller he gets to be a gimped sidekick who can shoot stuff. Just so long as he doesn't want to control his own camera.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

Isn't there also an Assassin's Creed game for psp. So how in can this guy possible defend why AC2 couldn't be on wii.

You can only notice the Feathers in AC2 because of the beam of light that's above it anyway.

edit

oh you guys already talked about it. Still they also had an AC for the ds too. A side story could be done off one of the other assasins in his heritage

has not VC nearly hit 600k now, hopfully it will reacch 1mil in it's lifetime, and hopefully then it won't be classified as a failure..
Oh by the bay AC looks like it got a poor review (lazy port??).
Anyway back to the point, you don't always need really pretty graphics just to satisfy you, it's the gameplay and story and graphics combined that matter, vc is a good example of this as it uses a unique art style but yet its story and gameplay are solid, i can think of plenty of examples like mario and zelda and chocobo's dungeon which i enjoy despite not having HD graphics.
If graphics were so important then PS2 would have been overthrown by gamecube and xbox back in the day, but really it does not come down to this, and as seen as core players are less interested in HD then no Wii HD is required, only the hardcore audience (Wii) would truly appreciate the upgrade.

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

Smidlee said:

One of the things that helps make AC great is higher resolution and it's drawing distance. It may be possible be play AC2 on a 13" black and white TV yet that would not be ideal. ( It's possible to play a PC racing sim with a keyboard and a mouse yet that also is not ideal.)
I agree with the article higher resolution is not just fluff as it adds to the viewing area and able to see more detail with distance objects even with average graphics.

AC has the same draw distance on a SD TV as it does an HD TV... making me think you have no clue what draw distance actually involves.

Here's a hint.  Dynasty warriors on PS2 actually had a better draw distance then on PS3.  (Or at least seems that way.)

HD HURTS draw distance becasue each object on screen takes up much more processing power.  

Kasz216 said:
Smidlee said:

AC has the same draw distance on a SD TV as it does an HD TV... making me think you have no clue what draw distance actually involves.

Here's a hint.  Dynasty warriors on PS2 actually had a better draw distance then on PS3.  (Or at least seems that way.)

HD HURTS draw distance becasue each object on screen takes up much more processing power.  

I already noted that playing a HD game on SDTV has the resolution/information but can't be deplayed which is why some game's forum people has complain about hard to see some details/ text when playing on a SDTV. I have from time to time played PS3 and X360 on SDTV yet it clear a lot of these games were design with HDTV in mind.

Oh please don't use Dynasty Warriors as an example as every reviewer has commented that the developers are lazy to actually evolve that series. DW was one of those game I thought would improve this generation but it's the same old  wore out gameplay as DW2.

As far as draw distance does both require GPU and ram which the HD consoles does have. THe first AC had good draw distance for a console game. FM3 has  very good drawing distance as well.

Smidlee said:
Kasz216 said:
Smidlee said:

I already noted that playing a HD game on SDTV has the resolution/information but can't be deplayed which is why some game's forum people has complain about hard to see some details/ text when playing on a SDTV. I have from time to time played PS3 and X360 on SDTV yet it clear a lot of these games were design with HDTV in mind.

Oh please don't use Dynasty Warriors as an example as every reviewer has commented that the developers are lazy to actually evolve that series. DW was one of those game I thought would improve this generation but it's the same old  wore out gameplay as DW2.

As far as draw distance does both require GPU and ram which the HD consoles does have. THe first AC had good draw distance for a console game. FM3 has  very good drawing distance as well.

Which is completly irrelvent when it comes to HD.  So HD has no value on draw distance... HD actually hurts draw distance.

When people complain about not being able to see HD stuff on an SD screen it's pretty much always related to text.

The fact that AC has a better draw distance then any other game has nothing to do with HD and actually is inspite of HD.