By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Wal-Mart, not MS, PAID FOR $100 gift card with Xbox 360 Arcades

Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
Dark Chaos said:

Then why did Amazon offer it as well??? Isnt the 360 up YOY?? Walmart did this on their own. I wouldnt be surprised if more stores do this on black friday

Amazon did it to match Wal-Mart and get customers in their door.  Again, with a product that had surplus units to burn.  Yeah, wal-mart did it on their own...I didn't say otherwise.

For any product that will sell through all its units anyway, we probably won't see huge discounts on that product on Black Friday.  So I agree with you that 360's will be the target of discounts.  PS3s may not be to the same degree, because I think PS3s will end up selling through all the units produced for the holiday season without the discounts.

Funny I didn't know an online store had a door...anyhow I can play the speculation game as well, Walmart did this deal because they hate Japanese people apparently and love American products. Amazon sees their patriotism and doesn't want to be outdone. AMERICA!!! F**** YEAH!

-=Dew the disco dancing fo da Unco Graham=-

Around the Network

All I'm going to say is that wasn't a flat out denial.

strunge said:

it's a no lose for Wal Mart. at the end of the day, they aren't losing $100. at the least, they pay only $100 for each 360 arcade anyway (retail price to wholesale price is generally double, so that would be the case if it holds true for game systems, I honestly don't know), so they break even on that cost with every sale, make you buy an extra $100 in the future (which you'll probably spend over and thus pay them more for the transactions just to use it up) and make a profit on your other $100 plus of transactions while getting rid of their stock of 360's. sounds like good business to me.

I was under the impression that video game hardware is "generally" sold at cost for a long time, and then at a slight profit, by the retailers. Their money is made off of the software.

markups are at most 15% max

It makes sense. Walmart gets people sitting with $100 gift cards, right upon Black Friday. You get them back into the store doing their Christmas shopping at Walmart because they have that card already, so the average per person might be a $200-$300 purchase on that gift card. Who thought MS was behind this? Retailers do things like this all the time near or on Black Friday, and it's typically their decision to do so.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Around the Network

Pretty smart move on wal-mart's part.

4 ≈ One

izaaz101 said:
strunge said:

it's a no lose for Wal Mart. at the end of the day, they aren't losing $100. at the least, they pay only $100 for each 360 arcade anyway (retail price to wholesale price is generally double, so that would be the case if it holds true for game systems, I honestly don't know), so they break even on that cost with every sale, make you buy an extra $100 in the future (which you'll probably spend over and thus pay them more for the transactions just to use it up) and make a profit on your other $100 plus of transactions while getting rid of their stock of 360's. sounds like good business to me.

I was under the impression that video game hardware is "generally" sold at cost for a long time, and then at a slight profit, by the retailers. Their money is made off of the software.

manufacturers take the loss, but why would retailers pay $300 for the system only to sell it at that amount and risk losing that entire $300 if it doesn't sell.  retailers could simply sell the games and make the profit from them and let someone else sell the systems.  I don't know how much they make from the systems, but they make something worth their while to carry them. that's just the way retailers work.

madskillz said:
MonstaMack said:
Well it wouldn't surprise me. MS is probably doing them sort of favors that don't involve forking over cash. Wal-Mart makes a stupid amount of profit, and they are also putting $100 gift cards with all Blackberry activations next week and a rumored $100 gift card with the Wii (though it looks doubtful right now). It's a Wal-Mart ploy to get more people into their store and it worked pretty well as we sold a gazillion 360's in our store with it. Hell, even the MW2 elites are selling out.

I definitely agree. It's $100 in Wal-Mart cash - you can't get a refund unless you bring the 360 AND the gift card back. I was tempted to use it to MW2, but got the Prestige one instead.

Hey Monsta - since you work at WallyWorld, can you shed some light on why the toy gift guide features the Wii, the 360 but no PS3? Is it regional or what? I didn't see anything about the PS3 or PSP in it. I saw 3 pages - one for the Wii, one for the DS and one for the 360.

The Wii and 360 Arcade are big items at Wallmart... and the DS... the PS3 and PSP are looked at as a more high end item.  Walmart most likely accounts for a larger percentage of Wii and Arcade sales then it does 360 Elites and PS3s.... that's how it was explained to me anyway

If MS had nothing to do with it and it was just a motivation to make people to spend another 100 bucks at Walmart then why not extend the offer to all consoles? It doesn't add up. These sort of deals will always have some hidden monies going to and fro. It's more probable when the deal is tied to one product. If it was all consoles, much easier to believe Walmart was the sole driver.

strunge said:
izaaz101 said:
strunge said:

it's a no lose for Wal Mart. at the end of the day, they aren't losing $100. at the least, they pay only $100 for each 360 arcade anyway (retail price to wholesale price is generally double, ..

manufacturers take the loss, ...

Wow.. so much nonsense piling up..

1. Manufacturers certainly don't take the loss for mass manufactured products. For obvious reasons. Manufacturers only make the stuff they are ordered to make, they do not care what happens to the stuff once it leaves the factory. The manufacturer margin may be extremely low (in the harddisk business, usually a few dimes per hd), but to stay in business, they obviously have to make a profit.

2. Apparently consoles are sold at around cost in the USA as has been said here in various threads. Note that USA =/= the world. The markup for those consoles basically is around the same markup for home electronics in this price range (which varies from country to country). In central Europe, this equates roughly to 16-26% (obviously, this is confidential information). No retailer in Europe would sell durable goods outside these margins.

3. WalMart certainly pays way more than $100 for an Arcade (unless MS loses a sh*tload of money on every transaction - and pisses of regular shops that pay regular prices) . The arcade is basically a PS3 sans harddisk/wifi (and minus quality). So if Sony loses about $30 on every PS3 currently sold then it is easy to estimate that manufacturing an Arcade costs roughly $200.

4. It is unlikely that MS did not know about this deal and is not in some way involved directly or indirectly (they have to have all the additional consoles for WalMart in inventory in the first place). If some blogger calls MS and wants to know the inner secrets between MS and WalMart, don't expect anything but a zero-content reply. If you read content into a content-free reply, then that is the problem for the thread-opener, not MS or WalMart.