By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales (11/2 – 11/8)

@Darth, And this year it has less software, so what's your point Darth? Price won't make much of a difference in sales when you don't have the software to push the hardware.

@Buzzi, the PS3 has been having more Hardware driving software for the last few weeks than the Wii, like this week it has this winning eleven game, the price cut in Japan hasn't had the same effect as in the west, because there haven't been games to push the hardware for Wii in Japan.

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
Avinash_Tyagi said:
@Darth, And this year it has less software, so what's your point Darth? Price won't make much of a difference in sales when you don't have the software to push the hardware.

@Buzzi, the PS3 has been having more Hardware driving software for the last few weeks than the Wii, like this week it has this winning eleven game, the price cut in Japan hasn't had the same effect as in the west, because there haven't been games to push the hardware for Wii in Japan.

Yes I know, but what I wanted to say is that Wii is not performing well...maybe it's doing ok for not having system sellers in like 4 months (MH3) but not exactly what you would expect from the console leader which also had a price cut. Luckly there are bundles and games in december, but at this point I'm not sure they'll be enough to put the Wii in 1st position, over the ps3.

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Xenoblade (Wii), Super mario 3D land (3DS), Guild Wars (PC)

The Wii software starts ramping up soon - if it isn't up YoY or above the PS3 by the end of November (>50k), things aren't looking good for the holidays.

I still have my doubts about these PS3 sales carrying onto the holidays. The lead console always takes December by a long shot, even the PSP didn't come close (though I'm sure slim & FF will make it as close as we'll ever see).

lol... the wii won't sell 200 million units lifetime more like 100 the wii won't last that long nor will it beat out ps2 sales record.. its coming out with what wii 2 next year which won't have nowhere near the accidental succuss of this wii srry

Avinash_Tyagi said:

That isn't necessarily true.. the ps3 didnt really have that many AAA japanese loving ip until PES and maybe TEKKEN, yet its cut really pushed its sales, while the wii had wii fit plus and its price cut and it hasn't managed to outsell the ps3 yet.

mM
Around the Network

Jebus imagine what that slim MOFO will do after FF13 drops.

drab your hard hats boys, things will go boom.

leo-j said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

That isn't necessarily true.. the ps3 didnt really have that many AAA japanese loving ip until PES and maybe TEKKEN, yet its cut really pushed its sales, while the wii had wii fit plus and its price cut and it hasn't managed to outsell the ps3 yet.

I think you're forgetting Tales of Vesperia and the Gundam game. But your point is right. The PS3 revival is being driven by the price cut.

The best part about these threads with all the people screaming "RIP wii" and "what will save the wii in Japan!!" is that when the PS3 drops back down to sub 10k levels they will avoid these threads like the plague just as they have been for most of the year. So you better get your gloating in now because when things go back to normal, there's going to be a fresh plate of crow waiting for you. Not that you'll eat it because you'll head for the hills like you always do when you have to face the reality of the market.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Iwata kind of agrees with us, Claude.

When will things be back to normal? People were saying that would be the case once the Wii price dropped and it's been a while since then. I think the definition of normal in Japan is now redefined.