By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - 200,000 PC Gamers Signed Petition Against MW2

Ail said:
vlad321 said:
Ail said:
Meanwhile Activision sold 5 million copies or so of MW2 on the first day....

PS : and the above poster is right, by bitching everytime there is a change on a PC game, all you will get is less and less hyped games released on the PC...

If those games are gonna be the pile of shit that MW2 is then I'll be glad if they don't make it to the market period.

@people hwo say pirates are themajrity

I had a discussion with someone about this and he got owned pretty hard, don't even bother.

Lol and you are the industry expert on this I guess..

The only reliable data we have on this is the latest Stardock game that was released without needing a customer key to connect to the developers servers for online play.

Stardocks themselves ( which is a studio that is huge against DRM and only develops for PC) said that what they saw is that 80% of the players on the servers were using pirated versions of the software.......

Your talking about DemiGod. The main issue with piracy for the game wasnt the large number of pirated copies, it was the fact all the pirated copies were from countries the game was never going to be released in. SO the majority of player only realistic option to get the game was piracy.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network
Ail said:
vlad321 said:
Ail said:
vlad321 said:
Ail said:
vlad321 said:
Ail said:

PS : and the above poster is right, by bitching everytime there is a change on a PC game, all you will get is less and less hyped games released on the PC...

If those games are gonna be the pile of shit that MW2 is then I'll be glad if they don't make it to the market period.

I had a discussion with someone about this and he got owned pretty hard, don't even bother.

The only reliable data we have on this is the latest Stardock game that was released without needing a customer key to connect to the developers servers for online play.

Stardocks themselves ( which is a studio that is huge against DRM and only develops for PC) said that what they saw is that 80% of the players on the servers were using pirated versions of the software.......

Indeed that happened to stardock and it happened the first week onlye, if you remember. I wonder if that is still the case.

A the same time if you look there are games that are still in the top 10 sellers lists even after years, while they don't break even the top 10 list on the pirated sides at all. Wonder how that happens....

Because you will only find recently released titles on the top 10 lists of pirate sites.

As a title gets older more people have it available and you can find it on every torrent or even get it from a friend and you don't need to visit the best site to get hold of it.........

So only recently released games get pirated, yet games manage to sell for years. Ultimately there are far more sales than there are pirated copies, especially if the game is not some shitty game like Crysis.

There is a reason why they are the most popular torrents, because they are used by the most people, so your argument as people finding it on other trackers is actually kinda pointless....

@Jereel

I wish you had provided ANY statistics that I could have ignored, sadly you didn't.

Where exactly did I say that ?

Once many people have a pirated version of a game you don't need to get hold of it through a site that tracks downloads is all I said...

Getting it from your budy next door is still pirating ( and is a lot more convenient and faster, college campus for example don't look kindly on their networks users having huge uploads which you typically need to get good torrent download speed).

Because pirating a game is as simple as just copy paste... sadly that's not how it is since you need a cracked version to go off.....

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

ssj12 said:
nightsurge said:
Mudface said:
Slimebeast said:

The large majority of PC gamers are pirates, especially guys that play shooters, so it's pretty safe to say that the majority of those who signed the petition are pirates.

These figures would tend to disagree with your assertion, especially as a fair percentage of those downloads would later translate into sales. There's a lot of piracy for sure, but nowhere near a majority of PC gamers are pirates.

But thats just ONE torrent site:  BitTorrent.  Pirates use uTorrent, Vuze, ArcticTorrent, Aria2, BitCommet, Bitflu, BitLet, BitThief, BitLord, CTorrent, Deluge, Halite, KTorrent, etc. etc.  That link you posted just goes to show that the majority of PC gamers ARE pirates because on just one Torrent Client you already have 830,000 downloads of CoD4.  I imagine the pirated copies of CoD4 actually far outnumber the legitimate ones!!!

you really have no idea how a torrent file works... a single file can be uploaded to all those sites. All stats tracked for 1 file will translate into the majority due to all seeds and peers being connected to a tracker that downloads from ONE point. AND, it doesnt matter what the main file for the torrent is named, MW2 crack, MW2 pirated, MW2 steal, etc could easily be all the same torrent named differently due to the main URL for the files being ONE TRACKER location.

Wow... thanks for being way late to the party.  I know how it works... they didn't specify "protocol" so I thought it was referencing just users of BitTorrent client, not the whole.  I don't go on to lots of BitTorrent news postings to know how they reveal information on downloads so I took it at face value.  K-thx-bye.

ssj12 said:
Ail said:
vlad321 said:
Ail said:

Your talking about DemiGod. The main issue with piracy for the game wasnt the large number of pirated copies, it was the fact all the pirated copies were from countries the game was never going to be released in. SO the majority of player only realistic option to get the game was piracy.

hello ?

You can download demigod digitally from the stardock site, from ANYWHERE in the world.........( and you can do this since the release day, gamestop most likely broke the street release date to protest this).

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

You know if like you guys keep arguing piracy has no effect on sales.
How is it that most big game developers are slowing moving from the PC to consoles ?
I mean
- PC users base is bigger
- PC development costs are lower
- You have to sell your console games for more because you have to pay licencing fees...

Does not seem like a good idea at all if something isn't wrong with PC sales..

Around the Network

Perhaps it's because console gamers typically have lower standards, and are easier to milk for more money?

Wii/PC/DS Lite/PSP-2000 owner, shameless Nintendo and AMD fanboy.

My comp, as shown to the right (click for fullsize pic)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
Video Card: XFX 1 GB Radeon HD 5870
Memory: 8 GB A-Data DDR3-1600
Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
Primary Storage: OCZ Vertex 120 GB
Case: Cooler Master HAF-932
Extra Storage: WD Caviar Black 640 GB,
WD Caviar Black 750 GB, WD Caviar Black 1 TB
Display: Triple ASUS 25.5" 1920x1200 monitors
Sound: HT Omega Striker 7.1 sound card,
Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers
Input: Logitech G5 mouse,
Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 keyboard
Wii Friend Code: 2772 8804 2626 5138 Steam: jefforange89
jefforange89 said:
Perhaps it's because console gamers typically have lower standards, and are easier to milk for more money?

can I translate this as :

- The huge majority of console gamers actually purchase the games they play ?

Thanks for making my point...

Ail said:
jefforange89 said:

No it means that console players will be glad if a company even offered them a bucket of crap.

How is it that blizard and Valve make so much money? Magic? They just make games that don't suck, something VERY few people are able to do in modern times it seems.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

vlad321 said:
Ail said:
jefforange89 said:

No it means that console players will be glad if a company even offered them a bucket of crap.

How is it that blizard and Valve make so much money? Magic? They just make games that don't suck, something VERY few people are able to do in modern times it seems.

And claiming that console gamers are somehow inferior is the most elitist false claims anyone can make.

Console gamers have no lower standards than PC gamers, nor are they any easier to milk for money.  Especialy considering the fact that many PC gamers are console games and vice versa.

The only people who believe this is the people who think piracy on PC isn't a problem.....

Ail said:
You know if like you guys keep arguing piracy has no effect on sales.
How is it that most big game developers are slowing moving from the PC to consoles ?
I mean
- PC users base is bigger
- PC development costs are lower
- You have to sell your console games for more because you have to pay licencing fees...

Does not seem like a good idea at all if something isn't wrong with PC sales..

its actually more the economy then anything. Piracy exists on consoles, just like PC. At this moment, its cheaper for people to just get a console and not have to worry about drivers, system specs, etc. Back less then 4 years ago it wasnt that big of an issue getting PC games because people could afford the time to get things running.

A new console needs to be purchased every 4 - 7 years. A PC needs upgrades or a whole new system every 3 - 5 years normally, unless you splurged on the original build and you might be able to get 7 - 8 years out of it. The general consumer also doesnt know a thing about upgrading PCs so they have to hired others to do it which cost about the same cost as a brand new console.

Let the economy recover these issues will disappear, PC hardware will drop in cost, and PC development will increase.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453