By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - 200,000 PC Gamers Signed Petition Against MW2

Jereel Hunter said:
max power said:
Jereel Hunter said:

Sins is a great example. And if you go over various forums like these, it gets listed a lot, because it's the ultra-rare exception, not the rule.

As for console sales reports declining, it makes sense. We're in a brutal recession, YoY numbers in most industries are down.  But that doesn't change the fact that with the exception of a couple genres - MMORPGs and RTS games, like I mentioned, console game sales usually dominate their PC counterparts.

Orange Box on PC outsold the 2 console versions (combined).  But Half Life/Team Fortress have a rich history as a PC game.

If developers decide that PC gaming is dead, or they can't sell games on PC because of pirates, that's their decision... but it's based on faulty reasoning.  Valve and Blizzard both demonstrate how to be a successful PC developer.

How to be a successful developer? Release AAA games? The faulty reasoning is yours. Lets compare that to the NFL. How many starting QBs are there? 32. How many are decent? Half that. How many are good enough that the team wants to keep them for the next few years? Not many. If you want to be a QB in the NFL, you have to be REALLY GOOD. But what you're saying is tantamount to "Tom Brady and Peyton Manning both demonstrate how to be a successful quarterback. Just be the best at what you do over the entire course of your career." That's simply not possible for everyone. Likewise when piracy makes it so much more difficult to succeed, there's only so many who can reasonably compete. (that's why the number of PC developers is dwindling, and every year more and more of the total marketshare is gobbled up by games developed by devs owned by one of the big 3 publishers.

No, no, no. There's far more developers on PC than in all consoles combined (source). PC is now the best place to start and raise a development studio because of the extreme rise of the indie scene and digital distribution. PC developers no longer are forced to pay to publishers to have their games out in the open.

Around the Network
Jereel Hunter said:
max power said:
Jereel Hunter said:

Sins is a great example. And if you go over various forums like these, it gets listed a lot, because it's the ultra-rare exception, not the rule.

As for console sales reports declining, it makes sense. We're in a brutal recession, YoY numbers in most industries are down.  But that doesn't change the fact that with the exception of a couple genres - MMORPGs and RTS games, like I mentioned, console game sales usually dominate their PC counterparts.

Orange Box on PC outsold the 2 console versions (combined).  But Half Life/Team Fortress have a rich history as a PC game.

If developers decide that PC gaming is dead, or they can't sell games on PC because of pirates, that's their decision... but it's based on faulty reasoning.  Valve and Blizzard both demonstrate how to be a successful PC developer.

How to be a successful developer? Release AAA games? The faulty reasoning is yours. Lets compare that to the NFL. How many starting QBs are there? 32. How many are decent? Half that. How many are good enough that the team wants to keep them for the next few years? Not many. If you want to be a QB in the NFL, you have to be REALLY GOOD. But what you're saying is tantamount to "Tom Brady and Peyton Manning both demonstrate how to be a successful quarterback. Just be the best at what you do over the entire course of your career." That's simply not possible for everyone. Likewise when piracy makes it so much more difficult to succeed, there's only so many who can reasonably compete. (that's why the number of PC developers is dwindling, and every year more and more of the total marketshare is gobbled up by games developed by devs owned by one of the big 3 publishers.

Except that piracy definitely does not affect a success of a developer.As have many developers displayed already.

I shall ask again for statistics. The last one you, or someone else, linked showed that out of all he countries that pirate software overall (that includes Windows, by far the most pirated software) only Russia probably gets games released to retail concurretly and still has a big % of piracy. Again that's software piracy, not game piracy.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

vlad321 said:
Jereel Hunter said:

Except that piracy definitely does not affect a success of a developer.As have many developers displayed already.

I shall ask again for statistics. The last one you, or someone else, linked showed that out of all he countries that pirate software overall (that includes Windows, by far the most pirated software) only Russia probably gets games released to retail concurretly and still has a big % of piracy. Again that's software piracy, not game piracy.

Piracy is an ever-present truth, a readily accepted fact. You don't accept statistics when posted, and act like they never were, so I'm not wasting my time. And piracy absolutely effects the success of a developer. It doesn't PREVENT success, but it effects it. Making a little money vs a lot? Losing money vs breaking even? Piracy has an effect, and even if most pirated copies are not lost sales, at least SOME are.

Jereel Hunter said:
vlad321 said:
Jereel Hunter said:

Piracy is an ever-present truth, a readily accepted fact. You don't accept statistics when posted, and act like they never were, so I'm not wasting my time. And piracy absolutely effects the success of a developer. It doesn't PREVENT success, but it effects it. Making a little money vs a lot? Losing money vs breaking even? Piracy has an effect, and even if most pirated copies are not lost sales, at least SOME are.

Yes.. an ever present truth. I just told you I accepted those statistics, however I'm also telling you you are unable to read them right, or the statitis you provide do not show what you want them to show. They do show piracy exists, but not to the point you make it out it exists. Also you can pirate on consoles as well, and considering the fact people buy consoles to play, while PCs are ubiquitous nowadays, there's much higher hcance that each pirated copy is a lost sale on a console vs on the PC.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Jereel Hunter said:
vlad321 said:
Jereel Hunter said:

I find it amazing that you are still on the piracy horse.... seriously. Sure it exists, but it has always existed. Its not worth talking about.

The idea that piracy is valid as a scapegoat for failed games and companies was debunked thoroughly like... weeks ago here.

Around the Network

In other news this week MW2 is ranked number 2 on Steam top sellers, ahead of LFD2..
Thought I would put some update as it seems Shio only updates this the weeks he likes the ranking..

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Xelloss said:
Jereel Hunter said:
vlad321 said:
Jereel Hunter said:

I find it amazing that you are still on the piracy horse.... seriously. Sure it exists, but it has always existed. Its not worth talking about.

The idea that piracy is valid as a scapegoat for failed games and companies was debunked thoroughly like... weeks ago here.

Then I would be delighted to hear your explaination of why software sales on PSP have always been so low.....

Come on, make us laugh....

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

First L4D2 now Modern Warfare 2 ? Damn you PC Gamers.

OT : They are getting screwed though. I guess we got to blame Infinity Award !

Who's the best Pac, Nas, and Big. Just leave it to that.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Slaughterhouse Is The Sh*t  .... NOW ........ B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Ail said:
Xelloss said:
Jereel Hunter said:
vlad321 said:
Jereel Hunter said:

Then I would be delighted to hear your explaination of why software sales on PSP have always been so low.....

Come on, make us laugh....

Never thought about it, the Sony forums are <----- that way.

I could care less about any mobile platform.

From 402 on the IW forums-

Originally Posted by FourZeroTwo @ Infinityward forums
:
Originally Posted by [D]G^V@POR
When do you plan on integrating dedicated servers into iwnet 402?

I haven't been given any information on if and if so, when, dedicated server support will be added. As of right now, I know the team is still working on listening to feedback and improving IWnet. Our PC player counts are high, in the millions (overall not concurrently), so there are a lot of people to go to for feedback on performance, including all the feedback we get here.

And before you ask, YES! We do read it, even the vulgarity laced rants. It's all taken into consideration and if the decision to add in Dedicated Server support in additional to public IWnet matchmaking is ever made, I'll let you know.

So, despite the lack of dedicated servers, despite the 4 million + BitTorrent downloads, it looks like at least 2 million copies of the PC version were sold. Makes you wonder how many COD 4 sold, when IW still had a decent reputation.