By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - 200,000 PC Gamers Signed Petition Against MW2

nightsurge said:
shio said:
Jereel Hunter said:
shio said:
Over 217k people have signed the petition!! It is still growing!

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?dedis4mw

Good work guys, you did it.

http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=5871&mp=1

"and the remaining 6% of sales were for the PC version". If this is true, then the petition and the negative publicity might be damaging the sales even more than I expected. thanks for the link, I didn't see it before.

Nah, that's just how low the PC version sells with piracy these days.  So maybe 10k people didn't buy the game because of the petition.  All the other people who signed probably still bought it like was shown on multiple steam boycott groups! LOL!  This is just more evidence to show the poor sales of CoD4 on PC thanks to piracy as well.

COd4 likely sold around 8-10 millions on PC, so I don't know what you're talking about.

You're ignorant about this, but PC games sell for years and years, long after this generation of consoles is gone. Starcraft only sold 1.5 millions in it's first year... we all know what happened after. A more recent example, Sins of a Solar Empire, sold only 200k in the first month... guess how many it has now (21 months after release)? 1 million. if Sins of a Solar Empire was a console game, it would've stopped at 400k at most.

Around the Network
shio said:
nightsurge said:
shio said:
Jereel Hunter said:
shio said:

"and the remaining 6% of sales were for the PC version". If this is true, then the petition and the negative publicity might be damaging the sales even more than I expected. thanks for the link, I didn't see it before.

Nah, that's just how low the PC version sells with piracy these days.  So maybe 10k people didn't buy the game because of the petition.  All the other people who signed probably still bought it like was shown on multiple steam boycott groups! LOL!  This is just more evidence to show the poor sales of CoD4 on PC thanks to piracy as well.

COd4 likely sold around 8-10 millions on PC, so I don't know what you're talking about.

You're ignorant about this, but PC games sell for years and years, long after this generation of consoles is gone. Starcraft only sold 1.5 millions in it's first year... we all know what happened after. A more recent example, Sins of a Solar Empire, sold only 200k in the first month... guess how many it has now (21 months after release)? 1 million. if Sins of a Solar Empire was a console game, it would've stopped at 400k at most.

Shio, just accept the fact that you are wrong about CoD4 PC sales.  Piracy is destroying the FPS market on PCs.  It only sold about 1-3 million tops on PC.

I'm sorry, that's just the truth and you need to stop being ignorant about it.

nightsurge said:
shio said:
nightsurge said:
shio said:
Jereel Hunter said:
shio said:

Shio, just accept the fact that you are wrong about CoD4 PC sales.  Piracy is destroying the FPS market on PCs.  It only sold about 1-3 million tops on PC.

Ok let's assume that piracy does indeed destroy the industry. Then I need you to explain a few phenomena How do developers liek Valve and Blizzard flourish on the PC? Also why is piracy destroying the market NOW when it has been around since the 1980s?

Explain those 2 phenomena and then we can talk about piracy destroying any industry.

mirgro said:
nightsurge said:
shio said:
nightsurge said:
shio said:
Jereel Hunter said:
shio said:

Ok let's assume that piracy does indeed destroy the industry. Then I need you to explain a few phenomena How do developers liek Valve and Blizzard flourish on the PC? Also why is piracy destroying the market NOW when it has been around since the 1980s?

Explain those 2 phenomena and then we can talk about piracy destroying any industry.

The PC market is huge, and piracy has slowly been growing.  In the 1980's personal computers didn't even exist in many homes.  Piracy grew with the industry.  Now that PCs have saturated nearly the entire market, piracy will continue to grow while the PC market doesn't.

As to your very safe uses for developers... Valve flourishes thanks to most of their games seeing much stronger Digital Distribution sales via their own network, Steam.  They also sell many other games this way which is a nice revenue stream for them.  Blizzard flourishes by making subscription based games.  Pirating the game means nothing when they make all their profits on the month-to-month subscriptions.  And actual manipulating the system to get free WoW on Blizzard servers is just not worth the hassle or the risk of the standard PC pirates.

Why dont all these PC Gamers give money to Infinity Ward to run the dedicated servers then! THE SHIT AINT FREE! Also, Call of Duty wasnt HUGE until CoD2 hit the Xbox 360 and then CoD3 went to 360, PS3, PS2, Wii & PC.

PREDICTIONS:
(Predicted on 5/31/11) END of 2011 Sales - Xbox 360 = 62M;  PS3 = 59M;  Wii = 97M

Around the Network
scat398 said:
I actually feel bad for the pc community, for years they have been the bread and butter for these companies and now the companies are walking away, it does suck. I switched to console gaming about 5 years ago and I have been happy with the choice. It appears that IW is also making that choice now as MW2 is clearly designed more for the console audience and if that's what they want to do the it's their right, but I still think it sucks that the PC gamers are getting left out in the rain. Hopefully another company will come along and give PC gamers something to enjoy.

this...

where would IW be without the support from the PC community?? At least before this gen, an FPS for consoles was not really something that was as accepted as other genres. So before this gen, IW has been relying on their PC community to sell their games. PC users have fed them, raised them and to pay them back, IW feeds them shit. Wether it is a company, a person or whatever, support should be a mutual thing. YOU (PC users) have supported someone and made them who they are and they just throw shit back at you when they've become famous enough. There are humans behind every company's decision, and the people behind MW2 wanted to shit on the people who made them..

It's like: "Hey PC-users! we always wanted to throw shit in your face, but in the past I kind of needed your support. Now however, we are famous and rich, so we'll start throwing the shit! Enjoy!"

nightsurge said:
mirgro said:
nightsurge said:
shio said:
nightsurge said:
shio said:
Jereel Hunter said:
shio said:

The PC market is huge, and piracy has slowly been growing.  In the 1980's personal computers didn't even exist in many homes.  Piracy grew with the industry.  Now that PCs have saturated nearly the entire market, piracy will continue to grow while the PC market doesn't.

As to your very safe uses for developers... Valve flourishes thanks to most of their games seeing much stronger Digital Distribution sales via their own network, Steam.  They also sell many other games this way which is a nice revenue stream for them.  Blizzard flourishes by making subscription based games.  Pirating the game means nothing when they make all their profits on the month-to-month subscriptions.  And actual manipulating the system to get free WoW on Blizzard servers is just not worth the hassle or the risk of the standard PC pirates.

Exactly the piracy grew with the industry so while there were less pirates there were also less people to use it. Proportionally it has been more or less the same.

As for Valve and Blizzard, they were doing just fine before Steam and WoW, how do you explain that? Also there is no hassle in pirating WoW. Just download it, install it, and run the crack, done, just like any other game.

So far your explanations have been lacking. My theory is that developers noticed that PC gamers have a much higher standard of quality than do console gamers. Then a lot of the less good devs jumped ship to consoles (look at Bungie pre-Halo to see what I mean). Then companies make a crappy game that is not up to snuff to PC gamers' standards and then they blame piracy on it (Assassin's Creed, new PoP, Crysis, I can keep listing these mediocre games all day long). Meanwhile the people who DO create amazing games flourish, ala Valve and Blizzard. If anything developers are putting themselves out of business by producing subpar games. Then they don't wanna admit they made a mediocre game so they just use piracy as a scapegoat and cite how people with lower standards (because they never had any great games to raise their standards to begin with) are buying the game by the millions.

mirgro said:

Exactly the piracy grew with the industry so while there were less pirates there were also less people to use it. Proportionally it has been more or less the same.

Well, that's a guess. You really have no idea. I'd guess it's grown, as it's so much easier to get a pirated copy nowadays with fast internet connections and Bittorrent.

As for Valve and Blizzard, they were doing just fine before Steam and WoW, how do you explain that? Also there is no hassle in pirating WoW. Just download it, install it, and run the crack, done, just like any other game.

There is a hassle in playing WoW. It's a MMORPG, and MMORPGs have a big social aspect. People want to play with their friends. Yes, you can convince everyone you know to play a game illegally, and get on a pirate server, but due to the type of game it is, people are far more likely to pay the fees and play the real thing.

So far your explanations have been lacking. My theory is that developers noticed that PC gamers have a much higher standard of quality than do console gamers. Then a lot of the less good devs jumped ship to consoles (look at Bungie pre-Halo to see what I mean). (Bungie was VERY highly regarded before Halo. Infact, they didn't "jump ship." Their new game in development was so impressive (the first Halo) that Microsoft bought them to get their hands on it. Then companies make a crappy game that is not up to snuff to PC gamers' standards and then they blame piracy on it (Assassin's Creed, new PoP, Crysis, I can keep listing these mediocre games all day long).  Meanwhile the people who DO create amazing games flourish, ala Valve and Blizzard.(Some valid businesses flourish in Nigeria. That doesn't make it a good place to do business. Yes, Valve and Blizzard are the best of the best, and will sell millions while getting pirated too. That doesn't mean it's viable for everyone) If anything developers are putting themselves out of business by producing subpar games.(One of my all-time favorite game franchises, Wing Commander, had extremely high production values, and the highest development budgets of its time. Simply producing a quality product didn't save them - you also need sales... something greatly effected by piracy) Then they don't wanna admit they made a mediocre game so they just use piracy as a scapegoat and cite how people with lower standards (because they never had any great games to raise their standards to begin with) are buying the game by the millions.(You seem to consider anything that isn't AAA to be subpar, as the only examples you list are companies that make AAA games. Am I to assume, that you think only games with $30M+ budgets by top tier developers should be produced, and everyone else should fold up? that way each genre can get 2-3 games a year and gamers get a  few dozen games a year to choose from? Your only argument seems to be that anything that doesn't sell on PC but sells on consoles must be terrible, because PC gamers are better. Period. When the only FACTS we have to work with, are that PC gamers are far more likely to steal games, while console players are far more likely to buy them. We haven't even so much as anecdotal evidence that console gamers have lower standards than PC gamers, other than games you find to be bad on the PC sell more on consoles. (Newsflash: most everything sells better on consoles. Good games too - except PC focused games)

P.S. I am assuming this is an altername account of Vlad's. He's normally be posting in these discussions with almost the same argument word for word. Oh, and he's banned.

Jereel Hunter said:
mirgro said:

Well, that's a guess. You really have no idea. I'd guess it's grown, as it's so much easier to get a pirated copy nowadays with fast internet connections and Bittorrent.

There is a hassle in playing WoW. It's a MMORPG, and MMORPGs have a big social aspect. People want to play with their friends. Yes, you can convince everyone you know to play a game illegally, and get on a pirate server, but due to the type of game it is, people are far more likely to pay the fees and play the real thing.

So far your explanations have been lacking. My theory is that developers noticed that PC gamers have a much higher standard of quality than do console gamers. Then a lot of the less good devs jumped ship to consoles (look at Bungie pre-Halo to see what I mean). (Bungie was VERY highly regarded before Halo. Infact, they didn't "jump ship." Their new game in development was so impressive (the first Halo) that Microsoft bought them to get their hands on it. Then companies make a crappy game that is not up to snuff to PC gamers' standards and then they blame piracy on it (Assassin's Creed, new PoP, Crysis, I can keep listing these mediocre games all day long).  Meanwhile the people who DO create amazing games flourish, ala Valve and Blizzard.(Some valid businesses flourish in Nigeria. That doesn't make it a good place to do business. Yes, Valve and Blizzard are the best of the best, and will sell millions while getting pirated too. That doesn't mean it's viable for everyone) If anything developers are putting themselves out of business by producing subpar games.(One of my all-time favorite game franchises, Wing Commander, had extremely high production values, and the highest development budgets of its time. Simply producing a quality product didn't save them - you also need sales... something greatly effected by piracy) Then they don't wanna admit they made a mediocre game so they just use piracy as a scapegoat and cite how people with lower standards (because they never had any great games to raise their standards to begin with) are buying the game by the millions.(You seem to consider anything that isn't AAA to be subpar, as the only examples you list are companies that make AAA games. Am I to assume, that you think only games with $30M+ budgets by top tier developers should be produced, and everyone else should fold up? that way each genre can get 2-3 games a year and gamers get a  few dozen games a year to choose from? Your only argument seems to be that anything that doesn't sell on PC but sells on consoles must be terrible, because PC gamers are better. Period. When the only FACTS we have to work with, are that PC gamers are far more likely to steal games, while console players are far more likely to buy them. We haven't even so much as anecdotal evidence that console gamers have lower standards than PC gamers, other than games you find to be bad on the PC sell more on consoles. (Newsflash: most everything sells better on consoles. Good games too - except PC focused games)

P.S. I am assuming this is an altername account of Vlad's. He's normally be posting in these discussions with almost the same argument word for word. Oh, and he's banned.

The game Bungie made last before halo was Oni, which was pretty interesting but it had bland envoronments wooden characters and a few other problems, solid fighting system though. I played it on the PS2 and it worked fine with the controller. As you said, Valve and Blizzard make plenty of money because they make good games and give their audience what their audience wants, when they deliver they get rwarded. Somehow recently companies have begun to think that they know what consumers want better than the consumers themselves. Then they whine about their games getting hacked by their consumers....

As for WC, the last one I played was Prophecy and I heard the follow -up was more or less a rehash, they got bought up by EA and they started just rehashing their games. I mean come on, the follow up to Prophecy came out a year later, not enough time to make a new great game, what did they expect. If anything I'd blame EA mishandling the company and running it into the ground by making it developer subpar games than anything else. Wing Commander and Privateer were very high quality products that only declined when the developer started releasing them year after year after year when they were forced to by EA. See, even you don't want to admit the games decreased on their innovative side (I honestly didn't buy the last WC because I saw it was the same as Prophecy more or less) instead you just want someone else to blame. Well blame EA if anything. Also I don't know if you know but after the last WC came out EA said that Origin will be an online game only studio, working on Ultima and stuff. Wing Commander is dead because of EA, not because of pirates.

That is an issue you don't see with Valve or Blizzard (at least before AV got its hands on Blizz). They made games the way they wanted to make them and they released a game once every few years, not once every year. Also yes I consider anything that isn't innovative subpar and generally "more of the same." AAA doesn't really mean anything because I nejoyed Machinarium and that was ranked in the 80s, yet it was pretty innovative and well told. Also look at Deus Ex, X-COM, and other games which also top "best of all time" lists, they never had strict publishers interested in only money breathign down their necks either.

Also the $30M+ budgets come from people focusing too much on graphics, which let's face it, don't make a good game. Blizzard makes tons of money because you can probably run their games on toaster ovens even when they come out. It's the developer's fault they invest in shiny graphics instead of making an innovative product.

I woudl also rather have 1 great game in a give genre a year instead of 2-3 all of which are subpar and more of the same, or repetative, or whatever other things the developers didn't do. Also I disagree with the "if it doesn't sell on PCs it isn't good" statement. Platforming games, fighting games and just about any game that has platforming elements would be absolutely horrible on the PC and there are many many great games like that on the consoles.

As for PC games being better and the gamers having higher standards just look at this very MW2 thread. It's obvious that the game has the exact same features on all platforms, yet people widely consider the PC version to be trash. Why is that, if not higher standards and expectations?

Last note, plenty of people also pirate on the consoles, not to mention EVERYONE has a PC in the world, even countries that don't get some games or are too poor to buy them. However if you are from there and you already have the console bought, chances are you already have enough money to afford new games. You need to provide me with some statistics on how this piracy issue is spread out, because I have a feeling a lot of it comes from poorer countries as well. Newsflash: PCs are used for far more than just gaming so many many more people have them than they do consoles.

P.S. Actually no, I lurked a lot and if you noticed I signed up to enter the raffle for the HoN beta. You can see me praising LBP and the new mario bros game around the forums too since then.

Zomb1337 said:
Why dont all these PC Gamers give money to Infinity Ward to run the dedicated servers then! THE SHIT AINT FREE! Also, Call of Duty wasnt HUGE until CoD2 hit the Xbox 360 and then CoD3 went to 360, PS3, PS2, Wii & PC.

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.  Dedicated servers aren't run by the developer.  Please get a clue...