By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Electronic Arts reports $391 million loss, plans to cut 1,500 jobs

Hey NJ5 are you still updating your losses thread? If you're not, could you please revive it so maybe it can be stickied or something.

Tease.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
Hey NJ5 are you still updating your losses thread? If you're not, could you please revive it so maybe it can be stickied or something.

You mean this one?

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=83767

I was going to update it.

Or you meant maybe some EA specific thread with the net losses? I had forgotten about it actually, I'll try finding it.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Yeah the one in the link thanks.

Tease.

I honestly don't understand how EA is losing so much money when most of their games sell quite well. Then again, where is SSX, the Street games, etc?

Currently playing: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, NBA2k11, Metal Gear Solid, Picross 3d

MontanaHatchet said:
Nintendo and Electronic Arts are the two biggest publishers in the business (well, Activision may be bigger than EA now, but I'm not sure), and I think they've both taught us something very important.

Never listen to what gamers say.

You got that right.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network

I think they've mismanaged Rock Band horrendously. From overpaying for the Beatles to ignoring the Wii. It's a great game, but it should have easily beat GH. I think they've squandered a billion dollars on Rock Band alone.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

while we may be saying that Activision / Blizzard is milking its franchises like Guitar Hero franchise, they made it profitable, last I checked Rock Band was still not profitable

O-D-C said:
while we may be saying that Activision / Blizzard is milking its franchises like Guitar Hero franchise, they made it profitable, last I checked Rock Band was still not profitable

It could have been profitable if they had just released a decent Wii version for the holidays. I could understand how they screwed it up on RB1. To repeat the same mistake on RB2 was inexcusable.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

darthdevidem01 said:
W-T-F

why are they loosing so much money!!!

Look at the worldwide weekly charts filtered for "Electronic Arts" and "EA Sports."

Harry Potter. Dead Space. MySims. Brutal Legend. Need for Speed. Spore. The Godfather. Mirror's Edge. Skate. The Beatles. Fight Night. NHL, NBA Live, NCAA Football. Grand Slam Tennis.

This is not exactly the picture of a healthy videogame company in 2009.

I wonder how close they are to total collapse. You can't keep losing this much, and then just willy-nilly buy a company that makes FREE GAMES for $275 million dollars, and not find total ruin at some point.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

MontanaHatchet said:
Nintendo and Electronic Arts are the two biggest publishers in the business (well, Activision may be bigger than EA now, but I'm not sure), and I think they've both taught us something very important.

Never listen to what gamers say.

Abandon Gore and Mature Games and go for the casuals

Repent or be destroyed