By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 3rd Party Sales in Japan (360, Wii, PS3) - Top 10

johnsobas said: I think the chances of DQ 10 coming to the wii are very strong, because Wii is the only system selling strongly in Japan. Did you look at the sales this week? Wii didn't even have a game released and sold around 80,000 units. Sales in Japan are 90% of the equation, because that's where most of the sales will come from. Also recently Square was talking about the possibility of bringing FF13 to 360, which tells you that they are worried about making money. PS3 sales in Japan will have to be at least somewhat close to Wii sales to have a chance to come to PS3 i believe.
Maybe the reason the Wii sold 80k units (unconfirmed) is because its demand is still high, like the PS2 was this early in its cycle? IMO, S-E should multi-plat a DQ10...5m+ units easy.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

hanafuda said: Double Snip.
Heh, the name calling is in jest, I enjoy these kinds of conversations, and I don't REALLY mean any of those things... that's why I used the funny words like 'ANUS' it's a Southpark thing... sorry :P But yeah don't take it serious, I'm just a try hard comedic :P No doubt the cost of development of big games can be huge... I don't expect Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, SSBB and others to be cheap games, infact I suspect Nintendo will pay a lot more for the development of these games, for SURE. All i'm saying is at a base level the Wii is a cheaper platform to develop for. Technical wise the number of different things that need to be programmed into a PS3 game, the things that make the graphics and physics so much better all require a lot more effort, in the end it turns out a less impressive product on Wii, but the cost is derivative of the final product. Unfortunately Red Steel was quite expensive because Ubi went all out with development for that game, I think Red Steel 2 will be much better because it doesn't have console launch day as a problem for it. Developing a game can cost ANYTHING for ANY console, but at the base level Wii is cheapest because it's a simpler architecture and promotes simpler games... it's a double edged sword really... but devs love that shit cause they can spend less, make an arsier game, release it on Wii and cover some profit. Sucks to be a Wii owner really.........

OriGin said: Heh, the name calling is in jest, I enjoy these kinds of conversations, and I don't REALLY mean any of those things... that's why I used the funny words like 'ANUS' it's a Southpark thing... sorry :P But yeah don't take it serious, I'm just a try hard comedic :P No doubt the cost of development of big games can be huge... I don't expect Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, SSBB and others to be cheap games, infact I suspect Nintendo will pay a lot more for the development of these games, for SURE. All i'm saying is at a base level the Wii is a cheaper platform to develop for. Technical wise the number of different things that need to be programmed into a PS3 game, the things that make the graphics and physics so much better all require a lot more effort, in the end it turns out a less impressive product on Wii, but the cost is derivative of the final product. Unfortunately Red Steel was quite expensive because Ubi went all out with development for that game, I think Red Steel 2 will be much better because it doesn't have console launch day as a problem for it. Developing a game can cost ANYTHING for ANY console, but at the base level Wii is cheapest because it's a simpler architecture and promotes simpler games... it's a double edged sword really... but devs love that shit cause they can spend less, make an arsier game, release it on Wii and cover some profit. Sucks to be a Wii owner really.........
I'm not offended Like I said, I totally appreciate where you are coming from on this, and pretty much agree. It just bugs me that so many people just reel off, 'Yeah, but it is cheaper to develp for the Wii.', at every opportunity they get, when that point is highly debatable. You are the first person I have come across that has actually been willling to back up that point with some good information.

PSN - hanafuda

Heh... all sweet, and yeah I agree that any developers can spend anything on any game... and it's not necessarily cheaper to develop games on Wii if you're going to put in a BIG effort. It bugs me when people sprout 'internet speak' as fact when all they've done is hear someone else saying it on another forum... a lot of statistics people use in arguments on this site is completely retarded and they don't even know where they come from. That's why I hate fanboys and I love shutting them down with proper facts.

You're a better person than I OriGin, I would have simply ignored such a ridiculous question. Anyways it's somewhat been said already but those 3rd party games in Japan are either terrible or not made for the Japanese market. There's a lot of them but many are rushed PS2 ports with horrible tacked on motion controls. Those that aren't PS2 ports still have terrible motion controls for the most part. Nintendo has had at least a year head start if not more designing games with motion controls. Most 3rd party devs seemed to ignore the Wii until the E3 mega hype. Ubisoft and EA Canada (I think it was) were the only ones who were onboard from the start so Madden 07, Red Steel, and Rayman are among the few 3rd party games with good controls at the moment, as can be seen by their decent sales in the US/Europe, but they aren't Japanese games by any stretch. Now the devs are devoting more resources and have had more time and a few tries with motion control the games will improve. As the Wii continues to own the PS3 Japanese devs will also move more Japanese games to the Wii. While true that especially for the last few generations Nintendo games have dominated on Nintendo consoles but then the N64 and GCN were owned primarily by Nintendo fanboys who naturally bought Nintendo games. At the moment the Wii has much larger share than usual of Nintendo fanboys and new gamers who only want Wii Sports and Wii Play. With the devs moving good Japanese games to the Wii more regular Japanese gamers will buy it, as more regular Japanese gamers buy the Wii 3rd party titles will do better.

Around the Network

I think this is a very poor comparison. Why only take the top 10 3rd party games from one region? Right off the bat 360 is put at a disadvantage due to the extreme lack of sales in Japan. Let's look at 3rd party for NA and Japan for all three of all 3rd parties. NA is through Feb and Japan is through March 25th. 360 had 34 games still on the lists with a total sales of 13,112,500 units. Divided by the total of 6,330,000 units of hardware for these regions is a 2.07 tie ratio. Highest units of one game in one region are 1,554,750 and lowest is 6,500. PS3 had 20 games still on the lists with a total sales of 2,487,750 units. Divided by the total of 2,190,000 units of hardware for these regions is a 1.14 tie ratio. Highest units of one game in one region are 342,750 and lowest is 4,500. Wii had 35 games still on the lists with a total sales of 3,891,500 units. Divided by the total of 4,490,000 units of hardware for these regions is a 0.87 tie ratio. Highest units of one game in one region are 408,250 and lowest is 8,250. So, in this I see that the system with the largest sales base has the highest total units of sales, 360. Wii has the lowest tie ratio due to having a higher base for its 1st party software. However, Wii also has the largest total sales for its lowest selling game at 8,250. In all based on this data and that the 360 had three 3rd party games over 1m in sales and that it also has the largest userbase, it would be the best option for 3rd party support. The only thing that might sway me would be the lower develop costs and extreamely fast sales of the Wii that might make me think in the long run the Wii would be like the DS and be a much better option. So, for short term 360; long term Wii. PS3 only as ported 360 software.

albionus said: You're a better person than I OriGin, I would have simply ignored such a ridiculous question. Anyways it's somewhat been said already but those 3rd party games in Japan are either terrible or not made for the Japanese market. There's a lot of them but many are rushed PS2 ports with horrible tacked on motion controls. Those that aren't PS2 ports still have terrible motion controls for the most part. Nintendo has had at least a year head start if not more designing games with motion controls. Most 3rd party devs seemed to ignore the Wii until the E3 mega hype. Ubisoft and EA Canada (I think it was) were the only ones who were onboard from the start so Madden 07, Red Steel, and Rayman are among the few 3rd party games with good controls at the moment, as can be seen by their decent sales in the US/Europe, but they aren't Japanese games by any stretch. Now the devs are devoting more resources and have had more time and a few tries with motion control the games will improve. As the Wii continues to own the PS3 Japanese devs will also move more Japanese games to the Wii. While true that especially for the last few generations Nintendo games have dominated on Nintendo consoles but then the N64 and GCN were owned primarily by Nintendo fanboys who naturally bought Nintendo games. At the moment the Wii has much larger share than usual of Nintendo fanboys and new gamers who only want Wii Sports and Wii Play. With the devs moving good Japanese games to the Wii more regular Japanese gamers will buy it, as more regular Japanese gamers buy the Wii 3rd party titles will do better.
Did you not read OriGin's other point?
OriGin said: That's why I hate fanboys and I love shutting them down with proper facts.
So all those games are either terrible or not made for the Japanese market? Add Sonic and the Secret Rings to the list. According to Famitsu, it isn't terrible, so therefore it MUST be the case that it wasn't made for the Japanese market! Maybe if they had set the game in downtown Tokyo or something...

PSN - hanafuda