By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wal Mart+ Amazon $99 Xbox 360 deals today alone may sell 140K+ Xbox 360's!

steverhcp02 said:

The thing people are forgetting and i only saw it mentioned once and briefly but i skimmed the thread is that:

The market, especially electronics isnt stagnant so if the 360 sold 75k in the US last week, and lets say 10 per walmart, 35k available not every single person buying one at walmart will be someone who was not going to buy one elsewhere in the states.

So lets say youve got 75k across BB, Target, Gamestop....this deal may move 10 or 20k of the people already going to buy a 360 who would have conributed to the numbers regardless only to a new locale. Not all the 360's sold will be to people sitting on their couch with no intention of buying a 360 this week or in future weeks.

Its not like the number of walmart is going to be strictly an increase as if walmart never sold 360's before and all of a sudden their sales will be counted on top of past sales.

The concept for a holiday high end loss leader sale is a little different.  A better example of this sale would be to say the average person has a budget for 300 dollars for Christmas, but Best buy decides to sell a 46' lcd for $399.  A certain percentage of those consumers will purchase the $399 TV and still spend the additional $300 dollars.  So basically a person that wasn't planning on purchasing the item decides the value is to good to pass up. 

Now the big question is, is a 360 or other gaming machine qualify for this type of response?  We won't know for a while but initial reports seem to suggest 360's have completely sold out.  Walmart will look to see if those shoppers continued to purchas other items to determine if it was a success.

Around the Network

Whoa.....what ever happen to the baby seal rule ppl don't seem to care any more =(

scat398 said:
steverhcp02 said:

The thing people are forgetting and i only saw it mentioned once and briefly but i skimmed the thread is that:

The market, especially electronics isnt stagnant so if the 360 sold 75k in the US last week, and lets say 10 per walmart, 35k available not every single person buying one at walmart will be someone who was not going to buy one elsewhere in the states.

So lets say youve got 75k across BB, Target, Gamestop....this deal may move 10 or 20k of the people already going to buy a 360 who would have conributed to the numbers regardless only to a new locale. Not all the 360's sold will be to people sitting on their couch with no intention of buying a 360 this week or in future weeks.

Its not like the number of walmart is going to be strictly an increase as if walmart never sold 360's before and all of a sudden their sales will be counted on top of past sales.

The concept for a holiday high end loss leader sale is a little different.  A better example of this sale would be to say the average person has a budget for 300 dollars for Christmas, but Best buy decides to sell a 46' lcd for $399.  A certain percentage of those consumers will purchase the $399 TV and still spend the additional $300 dollars.  So basically a person that wasn't planning on purchasing the item decides the value is to good to pass up. 

Now the big question is, is a 360 or other gaming machine qualify for this type of response?  We won't know for a while but initial reports seem to suggest 360's have completely sold out.  Walmart will look to see if those shoppers continued to purchas other items to determine if it was a success.

I agree completely. But to assume that 2 retailers offering this sale wont be dominant to the location shift theory is a bit gullible, imo.

This isnt a christmas sale or black friday where you will see sales of the such across all stores ushering in more people. These types of one day sales not in the middle of holiday periods will not have the same effect because:

A) it may be too early for the bulk of americans to be ready or capable of spending xmas shopping money.

B) The price amount is stagnant meaning people STILL have to spend the same amount, the budget is not changing, they arent necessarily "saving" money on their purchase they still have to commit the same amount canceling out your $300 to $399 point.

It will surely bump sales, but not the extent the OP mentions (140k from 89k) it may shift it towards 110-115k, imo.

^This is an entire week long sale, though, with multiple shipments more than normal. It will not follow your "shift" theory because it will really only affect mostly Walmart shoppers. The incentive is a Walmart gift card so people who buy games at GameStop or Amazon won't really be interested. If people are not Walmart shoppers they probably won't even know about the deal unless they catch the internet word of mouth.

nightsurge said:
^This is an entire week long sale, though, with multiple shipments more than normal. It will not follow your "shift" theory because it will really only affect mostly Walmart shoppers. The incentive is a Walmart gift card so people who buy games at GameStop or Amazon won't really be interested. If people are not Walmart shoppers they probably won't even know about the deal unless they catch the internet word of mouth.

I think its just a one day "pre black friday" saturday sale. Walmart did these last year. They are like mini black fridays. Not a week.

Not multiple shipments. Its a number of consoles per store......the reason why it supports my theor is because it means people who want a 360 this week will defer to walmart today, its not like everyone can walk into any walmart all week and come away with this sale....its an allocated amount, unknown quantity for one day.....thus shifting sales to wal mart, for a single day.

Around the Network
ironman said:

XD what did the Sony profits have to do with sales numbers due to the Walmart and Amazon deals? Seriously, you could have left that out of the OP, to me, it does seem like you are trolling.
Anyway, I suppose it is possible a $100.00 360, I was tempted to pick up two of them myself and sell them on Ebay right before the holidays for $150.00.

Edit: I didn't feel like wading through the flames, so I missed those posts about people buying them and reselling them...guess I kinda helped make that point :

Totally agree. It's strange that another person who posted about the profits was moaning about other people trolling.

OT: This can be a double edged sword.

Now is the time for the US shoppers to pick up a x360 for christmas.

The problem could be that by the time christmas turns up x360 sales could fall because a lot of shoppers got one on the wallmart & amazon deal.

We shall see.

steverhcp02 said:
nightsurge said:

I think its just a one day "pre black friday" saturday sale. Walmart did these last year. They are like mini black fridays. Not a week.

Not multiple shipments. Its a number of consoles per store......the reason why it supports my theor is because it means people who want a 360 this week will defer to walmart today, its not like everyone can walk into any walmart all week and come away with this sale....its an allocated amount, unknown quantity for one day.....thus shifting sales to wal mart, for a single day.

The reports we have coming in are the 360 sale is actually for the entire week and will overlap with the MW2 launch.  We have also had reports that Walmart has recevied multiple shipments of 360's today.  We originally thought it was just part of the first black saturday sale for WalMart, will have to wait until tommorrow to see if the reports are true.

steverhcp02 said:
nightsurge said:

What scat398 said.  I had this confirmed by 3 different Walmarts.  One of which the manager actually checked their system and confirmed the promotion for the Xbox 360 Arcade + Gift Card lasts from November 7th to November 15th.  I was told that so long as they keep getting more 360's in their product shipments they will keep offering them for this deal.  This is definitely not just a one day sale like many were lead to believe.  It is grouped with all the other deals that were one day only, but this deal is 100% all week long.

It's gonna be hilarious when the sales come in and it only gets a 5k boost.

the amazon deal is for 1 day only tho...