By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Blacksite 51 Good News

I remember a thread last week about Blacksite shipping in November but the PS3 version was going to be gimped down with no multi-player or co-op...

Well, good news sort of...

They are delaying the PS3 version but not saying anything about multi-player / co-op.  Hopefully they are working on it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=85972

At least they are not saying it won't be in the final release.

Around the Network

What a suprise, another PS3 3rd party game delayed

add me

On the 360, Microsoft handles the infrastructure for online play (and charges for it).

On the PC, servers are ran by tons of different companies, which often make money from advertising.

On the PS3, isn't the developer/publisher responsible for creating and administrating the servers, etc? I heard so, which is why third party games on the PS3 may require users to pay fees for paying online.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

@ NJ5 I haven't found any game that require extra fees for paying online (certainly RSV and GRAW 2)

add me

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2007/10/24/industry-insider-blacksite-area-51

PS3 Blacksite plagued with development trouble, says insider

By Frank Caron | Published: October 24, 2007 - 10:58AM CT

Yesterday, we talked a bit about Blacksite: Area 51 and the missing online features in the PlayStation 3 version. Since that story ran, an insider contacted us to say the PS3 version's problems may run deeper than a lack of voice chat.

"The PS3 version is experiencing issues and missed deadlines," he tells us. The insider also notes Midway's unhappiness with these issues; the PS3 demo and launch will likely end up being delayed as a result.

"Midway isn't happy at all about the progress, and it's a story I've heard over and over this year across the industry when it comes to the PS3 and cross-platform titles," the insider states.

The Unreal Engine powers Blacksite, which presents the possibility that the engine itself is leading to development problems. Midway's other big PS3 releases of Stranglehold and Unreal Tournament 3 have also seen long delays.

Sadly, the problems with Blacksite: Area 51 only further the growing list of problematic multiplatform releases on the PS3, and could reinforce the qualms about working with the Unreal Engine among multiplatform developers. 

Around the Network

Ah, it has Unreal...that's why hehe.

Unreal engine + PS3 = delay.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

I don't understand what some of the problems with the PS3 are, lots of companies are making great games and making them better on the PS3 but other companies can't even get anything right. I don't think the unreal engine is to blame, UT3 is going to look the same on the PS3 as a $1500 PC rig. With all the maps and everything, and only being pushed back 2months at the very most.

Are developers just spending there time on the wrong stuff or just trying to force a game out in a unreasonable time?

NJ5 said:

On the PS3, isn't the developer/publisher responsible for creating and administrating the servers, etc? I heard so, which is why third party games on the PS3 may require users to pay fees for paying online.

Its a similar situation to the PS2.

So, you may see online support for a game permanently dropped, like MGS online, whereas live games theroretically have online forever.

I don't think the unreal engine is to blame, UT3 is going to look the same on the PS3 as a $1500 PC rig. With all the maps and everything, and only being pushed back 2months at the very most.

No its not.

Higher resolution, better AF, better AA, better framerate, ect.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Where are all the "lazy developers" comments?

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Sinha, don't worry they will begin shortly. It amazes me how when Konami delays MGS4 or Square Enix pushes back FFXIII no one calls them lazy....