By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata: Wii isn't in a healthy situation we need to recover momentum

Well with this seems like Iwata isn't thinking on a Wii HD soon. at least in Japan:

"As you probably know, the current situation of Wii cannot be defined as healthy. The price cut seems to have the least impact here than other parts of the world. It is our urgent mission to recover the momentum of Wii during the holidays utilising Nintendo's strength. The total Japanese market size is less than one sixth of that of the US, and about one fourth of the four major European countries. There exists major differences in market size today. When we compare the unit hardware sales, Japanese sales are about two-sevenths of the US, and more than half of the four major European countries. It can be said that Japan today is the challenging market for home console software to sell. Since the software we launched at the end of 2008 did not go on to sell for an extended period of time, and we were not able to launch very strong titles in the first half of this year, we have seen a significant drop in software sales this year. As a result Wii Software unit sales share is just below 50 percent of the entire home console software market so far in 2009." - Satoru Iwata

http://computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=226568

Honestly with FF XIII seems difficult to push a big holiday season for the Wii on Japan.

Around the Network

Nintendo is coming with kick-ass games soon enough. Now they need to convince third parties to make kick-ass game for the Wii.

Chrizum said:
Nintendo is coming with kick-ass games soon enough. Now they need to convince third parties to make kick-ass game for the Wii.

Yeah well, the clock is ticking. I cant see no kick-ass nintendo games in the near future.

Galaxy 2 and Metroid M still dosent have a release date.

And the clock still ticking

well what will you do ninty... lets see how you'll solve this problem ...

suprise me like you always do Ninty :/...

maykissthebride said:
Chrizum said:

Yeah well, the clock is ticking. I cant see no kick-ass nintendo games in the near future.

Galaxy 2 and Metroid M still dosent have a release date.

And the clock still ticking

Err Metroid Prime Corruption sold 70k in Japan...

So that's not the kick ass Nintendo software that will boost sales...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Around the Network

I think I know just what Nintendo needs:

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

I'm counting on No More Heroes 2, Redsteel 2, FFCC The Crystal Bearers and also lots of third parties games to renforce Nintendo's sales for the year and bundle with third party game is something that fans(for the sales of the consoles here) of the game might like but it is not as common as a bundle New Super Mario Bros. Wii or Wii Sport Resort for instance.

LOL @ that clip.

On topic, umm yeah... games people. All you need is games. You sat back and thought the ignorant 3rd parties would put out some quality IPs in 2009 and BAM! they got stuck staring at the pretty colors in HD.

Should always put out at least one major quality IP every year in the spring/summer, 2006 had Twilight Princess and Excite Truck as well as a ton of other VC games to carry Wii until the fall of 2007 had Galaxy, 2008 had brawl, mario kart, and wii fit, 2009 had NOT A FUCKING THING YOU DIRTY BASTARDS!

Now, we're betting it all on NSMBWii (which will sell very well btw) and nothing until a massive game pile-up in 2010 with MetroidM, Galaxy 2, and probably pikmin3. Also, some concrete news about Zelda Wii. pikmin3 should have been pushed up instead of putting it on a small team to take forever to complete as well as pushing out wii music. bleh.

I guess you can say Wii Sports Resort came out, but that should have been out by E3 and it mostly sold to existing users.

/rant

Now

Seriously, even Ballmer is more positive about Nintendo recently, than Iwata.

Perennials, evergreens, are the only way to recover momentum in Japan and make it stick. Everything else, all the really heavy hitters, are just flashes in the pan for console sales, as we've seen with their market reaction to all the big IP releases so far this generation. It's stuff like Wii Fit, or Monster Hunter (on PSP, at least), that has helped change the fortunes of consoles on more than a temporary basis

NSMBWii could be that, but not in Japan (given that little to no bump was seen for DS sales for the original)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.