By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
vlad321 said:
I have felt very scrubbish once i saw my friend's "cockpit" back in the day... me nd my lowly KBD were put to shame...

HOWEVER! I at least had the ability to do everything he could. A controller can't.

You would need at least two joysticks to do everything the Steel Battalion controller could - and you'd need analog foot pedals, too.

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
vlad321 said:
I have felt very scrubbish once i saw my friend's "cockpit" back in the day... me nd my lowly KBD were put to shame...

HOWEVER! I at least had the ability to do everything he could. A controller can't.

You would need at least two joysticks to do everything the Steel Battalion controller could - and you'd need analog foot pedals, too.

That's true, but I was talking about MW4 when it came to the cockpit.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

What was an MW4 cockpit like?

Khuutra said:
Onyx I'm just goign to guess that you're trying to post a picture of a Steel Battalion controller.

And yes, you are right. Aything less is for scrubs.

Are you a Steel Battalion man?

I sure am. Unfortunately I've never been able to own it because of it's price and rarity, but my old roommate had it and I played the game plenty a few years back.

@Vlad-I don't even think Mechwarrior 4 even had all the complexities built into the game that Steel Battalion had. The controller is specifically made to the game mechanics of Steel Battalion and they're supposed to mimic exactly how a true simulation of a mech might be like. There are controls there for the most mundane of tasks. Considering this is a console game I'm talking about, I suppose a console can very easily handle a complex mech game if handled correctly, i.e. add a mandatory $200+ cockpit purchase to play the game with.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Khuutra said:

Oh it was nothing official, he built it himself just for the coolness factor. The game didn't have a special controller with it. I'd post pictures, but they are of the paper kind (it has been a while, where did all the years go?) and they don't do well with the internets.

@Onyx

I will be very happy if they did that with the 360 version and didn't let the PC version suffer tragically, however I doubt that it will happen.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Around the Network
Onyxmeth said:

I sure am. Unfortunately I've never been able to own it because of it's price and rarity, but my old roommate had it and I played the game plenty a few years back.

Shit yeah, man. That game was the game. I managed to get it into VGChartz Top Ten best Xbox games by myself just from loving it so damn much.

The fact that it's not backwards compatible is one of the greatest tragedies of the 360.

vlad321 said:
Khuutra said:

Oh it was nothing official, he built it himself just for the coolness factor. The game didn't have a special controller with it. I'd post pictures, but they are of the paper kind (it has been a while, where did all the years go?) and they don't do well with the internets.

@Onyx

I will be very happy if they did that with the 360 version and didn't let the PC version suffer tragically, however I doubt that it will happen.

Of course it probably won't happen. Steel Battalion was probably a small financial disaster for Capcom. The game was so daunting, it turned off the most hardcore of mech fans, and paying that much for a controller to play with only one game is a lot to ask. I don't think the keyboard and mouse could keep up in translation from a controller like that, even if they could map everything to the keys.

The game was so sim that in the second game, which was online multiplayer, if you failed to eject your pilot before your mech blew up, you were kicked from the match, because seemingly if your pilot was dead, so were you. If you managed to eject, you would be able to play the next round in a fresh mech. There was no respawning.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Onyxmeth said:

Of course it probably won't happen. Steel Battalion was probably a small financial disaster for Capcom. The game was so daunting, it turned off the most hardcore of mech fans, and paying that much for a controller to play with only one game is a lot to ask. I don't think the keyboard and mouse could keep up in translation from a controller like that, even if they could map everything to the keys.

The game was so sim that in the second game, which was online multiplayer, if you failed to eject your pilot before your mech blew up, you were kicked from the match, because seemingly if your pilot was dead, so were you. If you managed to eject, you would be able to play the next round in a fresh mech. There was no respawning.

It would have been a financial disaster for Capcom, but it was produce in limited quantities and sold at a very high magrin.

And I remember it being funded by Microsoft - Microsoft comes to CAPCOM and says "Make any kind of game you want, and we will pay for it. Let's see what you can do."

We got the best, ball-crushingest, most hardest, simmest mech sim of all time. Damn that game was worth the $150 I paid for it.

I never played Steel Battalion, I would like to play it for curiosities sake but I doubt I would like it.

steel batalion sounds fun :p

I hardly see what the second joystick was for though... torso rotation? you have joysticks that you can twist for that (so 3 axis kinda on the joystick).

But yeah, hard to get the same feel as whole board dedicated to the game :p

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO