By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii Sports dominates Bafta awards

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7058670.stm

Wii Sports dominates Bafta awards
Bioshock players assume the role of a plane crash survivor
Nintendo's Wii Sports has swept the board at the 2007 British Academy Video Games Awards in London.

The energetic title took home awards in categories such as gameplay, strategy and simulation, innovation and sports.

The game allows players to compete in onscreen sporting events using the Wii's controller as a tennis racquet, golf club or even bowling ball.

However, the title did not manage to take the coveted best game award which went to Xbox title Bioshock.

The first-person shooter, released in August, is set in an underwater world populated by mutants and mechanical drones. It received acclaim from gamers and the Bafta judges.

The evening ended with Will Wright, creator of The Sims, being awarded a Bafta fellowship in recognition of more than 20 years' work in the industry.

Mr Wright is currently working on the hugely-anticipated life simulation game Spore.

Previous generation

The other eight awards presented throughout the evening were shared by a handful of titles across most of the gaming platforms.

Okami tells the story of a god who has taken the form of a white wolf

However, games for Sony's latest console, the PlayStation 3 (PS3), did not manage to bag an award. Instead, titles for the powerful next generation console were upstaged by games for its predecessor.

The PS2 game Okami won in the categories of artistic achievement and original score.

The game weaves several Japanese myths and folk stories into an action-adventure.

It features a "celestial brush" that allows gamers to pause the game and draw on the screen using the game controller. Players can add to the scenery, control effects such as the wind or create objects such as bridges to allow them to cross a river.

The PS2 combat title God of War 2 also took home two awards for best story and character as well as technical achievement.

People's award

Other awards, voted for by the expert jury, included best use of audio and action and adventure. Both awards went to Xbox 360 title Crackdown.

The magical guitar is infused with the soul of a rock-god

The jury also highlighted a game created by a team of five students as the one to watch.

Ragnarawk allows gamers to fight evil using a magical guitar.

The game had previously won two prizes at the Dare to be Digital design competition run by the University of Abertay, Dundee.

Although most of the awards are voted for by the Bafta jury, one prize is voted for by the public.

The gamers award allows people to vote from a shortlist made up from the top-selling games on each platform over the previous year. It was won by Football Manager 2007 for the PC.

The Bafta video games awards are now in their second year, joining the better known television and film awards.

Chairman of the academy, Hilary Bevan Jones said "The academy believes video games have limitless potential to enlighten as well as entertain and our role is to encourage creative excellence in the field, for the benefit of a rapidly growing audience".

--------------------

Bioshock seems a worthy winner,not my kind of game but my son has it for PC and it looks great....much better than Halo3!

Around the Network

Interesting.

I thought a game had to be good to win awards.

Well, anyways...

Go Okami!

^Well, considering you have never complained about Mods trolling, I guess I can't call you a hypocrite.

What, how is that trolling?

Red Steel isn't a good game.

Lair isn't a good game.

Superman 64 isn't a good game.

I don't see the exception with Wii Sports.

Sorry, don't mind me. I have a personal vendetta against the game.

Around the Network

Interesting...very interesting....I actually expected:

a) Wii Sports gets nominated for many awards, but doesn't win any b/c it's regarded by some as a tech demo and not a game (I still don't know why, but doesn't matter now)

b) A lot of 360 games winning awards, and

c) Sony having at least one game on the PS3 that wins an award.

I'm quite surprised and delighted that Wii Sports won that many awards. And Bioshock definitely deserved Game of the Year, even though its still a game I can't get myself to play (just not my cup of tea). I would have thought at least one PS3 game should have one an award, but at least Okami got some.

Explanation of sig:

I am a Pakistani.....my name is Dan....how hard is that? (Don't ask about the 101...apparantely there are more of me out there....)

@Montana,

Well, just because you do does not mean everyone else does.

What you could have said was "I can't believe Wii Sports won, since I hate the game".

While some people would consider that trolling, it is clearly an opinion. I hardly ever call out trolling, because people are merely expressing their opinions.

However, you are stating that the game is not good as a fact. And THAT is where the issue comes up.

I believe that is a big difference.

Agreed, pakidan. My thoughts exactly.

Hrmmm...I see.

Well, where do we draw the point between  fact and opinion when discussing the quality of games? The opinions of third parties!

Reviews, as I would call them.

Anyways, personal opinion will always be held over reviewers assuming you've played the game. I've seen a lot of people who like Lair, but we all know it's a bad game. Same for Wii Sports. If a lot of people like it, more power to them.

^Well, the third parties involved in the award obviously saw Wii Sports as a good game. I would hardly say that 'we all know' Wii Sports is a bad game. Would I agree that it feel like more of a tech demo than a full game? Absolutely. However, it is one hell of a tech demo.

Exactly, opinion.

Life sure is swell.