By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii Sports dominates Bafta awards

DonWii, MontanaHatchet, relax....nothing here to argue about.

I think we can all agree that there will be some games that are widely regarded as bad or just average (ie. Lair, Wii Sports, etc.) that many still love to play and regard it as great games, just like games that are widely regarded as wonderful, excellent, top-notch games (ie. Halo series, Mario series, Final Fantasy series, MGS series) that some people, for whatever reason, just don't like.

My point is that when you are describing a game on whether it is good enough or not good enough to win an award, your opinion matters. But it can't be stated as a fact. Even Red Steel can't be stated as a bad game, since there are people who still like it. A game only gets an award if popular opinion says its good enough, not individual opinion.

Explanation of sig:

I am a Pakistani.....my name is Dan....how hard is that? (Don't ask about the 101...apparantely there are more of me out there....)

Around the Network

Wii Sports is the defining game of the generation. It will eventually be considered a shoo-in for the top 10 greatest games of all time along with Pong, Space Invaders, Super Mario Bros, Tetris, etc. Best get used to it.

It is judged to be a "bad game" on traditional standards... It has no content; no so-called "depth." Of course, it is not meant to compete along traditional standards, it is meant to render them irrelevant. And it is succeeding. These awards were timed correctly so that the voters could see, for nearly a whole year, just how impactful Wii Sports was, and that is why it won awards.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

pakidan101 said:

I think we can all agree that there will be some games that are widely regarded as bad or just average (ie. Lair, Wii Sports, etc.) that many still love to play and regard it as great games, just like games that are widely regarded as wonderful, excellent, top-notch games (ie. Halo series, Mario series, Final Fantasy series, MGS series) that some people, for whatever reason, just don't like.

My point is that when you are describing a game on whether it is good enough or not good enough to win an award, your opinion matters. But it can't be stated as a fact. Even Red Steel can't be stated as a bad game, since there are people who still like it. A game only gets an award if popular opinion says its good enough, not individual opinion.

First off, with how many awards it has won, the acclaim it has received from outside the gaming press, and its massive sales I don't think you can say that Wii Sports is a "Bad" or "Average" game ...

Secondly, I think a large portion of the people who post on webforums have to learn that regardless of how popular games like Halo, Metal Gear, and The Legend of Zelda are they do not represent the gaming tastes of the majority of gamers ...

well said, Erik. Wii sports may not be a God Of War style production, but it's an extremely fun, and greatly heralded game of this generation that has reach out to millions of people that could care less about videogames. Mario Bros may not have been deep (especially compared to games on PC at the time), but it did the exact same thing. It created generations of gamers, and was outstanding fun. I love wii sports and I'm glad it won so many awards.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

MontanaHatchet said:
What, how is that trolling?

Red Steel isn't a good game.

Lair isn't a good game.

Superman 64 isn't a good game.

I don't see the exception with Wii Sports.

Sorry, don't mind me. I have a personal vendetta against the game.

You fool - Wii Sports is an awesome game, in just about every definition of the term "game".

Comparing it to Superman 64 or LAIR or Red Steel is just ridiculous. Its single-handedly responsible for the sellout status of the Wii since launch.

And comparing it to Superman 64? Cmon, give us a break. Thats just plain out stoopid. 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

@Montana,

To use an example, If I came into a R&C thread that was talking about its great reviews and said...

"I thought a game had to be good to get a 9."

I would be jumped on for trolling. Correctly so. Where as if I said....

"I don't think this game deserves a 9." it would be opinion....and I would still get jumped on for trolling. Unfairly so.

But I have to agree with DonWii, its just how you state it. If you state as an opinion "I think", "I believe", or "I feel" nobody can call it trolling so long as you keep it reasonable (aka "I think this game is a piece of crap." is probably still trolling.). But when you state something as fact or assume something as fact (aka "I thought a game had to be good to win awards") it is definitely going to elicit response.

Identifying trolling is not always clear cut, and in general is one of the hardest thing a mod has to do. Sometimes a good troll knows how to ride the line very close as to never say anything to outrageous but just outrageous enough to get people going and then they can leave the thread and let other people snowball from there.

To Each Man, Responsibility

No, I compared it to the status of those games based on the fact that all of the games received mixed reviews, at best.

Superman 64 would have much worse reviews than Wii Sports. Wii Sports is fun, but really, you get a week at best of fun, and then you want an actual game to play.

But seriously, this argument is like trench warfare. I fire a gun, you throw a grenade, a land mine goes off, someone throws a canister of mustard gas, some guys makes a suicide run, and yet we don't get anywhere at all.

HappySqurriel said:
pakidan101 said:

First off, with how many awards it has won, the acclaim it has received from outside the gaming press, and its massive sales I don't think you can say that Wii Sports is a "Bad" or "Average" game ...

Secondly, I think a large portion of the people who post on webforums have to learn that regardless of how popular games like Halo, Metal Gear, and The Legend of Zelda are they do not represent the gaming tastes of the majority of gamers ...

Well, I believe that Wii Sports is really a great game....its innovative, one-of-a-kind, and just fun to play with. Just that I guess a lot of people around me or review sites in general would just say its a fun tech demo, but shallow as a game. It's too bad too...when they regard it that way, they then forget just how fun the game is and then disregard it, because its not like a traditional sports game, where you make authentic team rosters, manage sports team, play online, etc. It is just simple. But because of its simplicity, it's easy to grasp and easy to get into it, not intimidating. But believe me, I don't believe its a "bad" or "average" game....i was just typing in what review sites generally reviewed it as, not how the public in general viewed it as.

Explanation of sig:

I am a Pakistani.....my name is Dan....how hard is that? (Don't ask about the 101...apparantely there are more of me out there....)

I addressed reviews. It was reviewed on traditional standards for what makes a "good game." The game itself was meant to render those standards irrelevant. It is succeeding. Given that, I find it kind of hard to criticize it receiving an award for innovation.

Edit: and btw, your reference to review scores and comparisons with other games in your first post were, at best, erm, "vague."

P.P.S. Trench warfare? The game just won six awards, and you're arguing it is "bad" based on critical reaction. Sounds more like you're surrendering Paris to me.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

I have to agree with Montana about the Wii sports thing =/.

I am happy that Okami won one but I wished it also sold well :(.