By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony PS division has lost $4.7 Billion since launching PS3

If Sony hadn't spent time on the Slim development and cut the price I'm sure Sony wouldn't be facing this increase in losses.

Then again I haven't really seen Vaio doing to well. I don't know, but Sony is still going through management settlement from a few years ago when everyone got moved around.

Around the Network

A lot of it is also attributable to the currency devaluation

numonex said:
Sony are investing for the future. Short-term pain for long term gain. Blu-Ray is supposed to be here for a long time. Sony won the HD format war with Blu-Ray and the PS3 might finish second in the 7th generation console sales war.

I second this statement.

Tridrakious said:
numonex said:
Sony are investing for the future. Short-term pain for long term gain. Blu-Ray is supposed to be here for a long time. Sony won the HD format war with Blu-Ray and the PS3 might finish second in the 7th generation console sales war.

I second this statement.

Blu-Ray will never be as successful nor last as long as DVD. So you need to wonder was it really worth it?  The momentum of ondemand is growing and will not be stopped.  My family for instance has stopped purchasing movies.  We stream with Netflix and rent DVDs from Netflix. We used to be people that bought 20-30 movies per year. Now 0.

Not to mention Blu-Ray would have won anyway even if the PS3 didnt use Blu-Ray.  So was the investment really worth it. Will it pan out.  I dont think so.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Tridrakious said:
numonex said:

I second this statement.

I third this statement.

Around the Network

All will be fixed in the coming fiscal year(s)

Also anyone have the 360 numbers since launch?

thx1139 said:
Tridrakious said:
numonex said:

I second this statement.

Blu-Ray will never be as successful nor last as long as DVD. So you need to wonder was it really worth it?  The momentum of ondemand is growing and will not be stopped.  My family for instance has stopped purchasing movies.  We stream with Netflix and rent DVDs from Netflix. We used to be people that bought 20-30 movies per year. Now 0.

Not to mention Blu-Ray would have won anyway even if the PS3 didnt use Blu-Ray.  So was the investment really worth it. Will it pan out.  I dont think so.

I like how your family accounts for the entire entertainment industry. The fact of the matter is, not everyone is ready to jump aboard the digital disturbution train. That is going to take anoter generation or two. So blu-ray was a good investment.

@markers,

May be anecdotal, but we are not the only ones doing this. I know plenty of others doing this same thing. Blu-Ray is just not catching on and replacing DVD like DVD did with VHS. When DVD was overtaking VHS no one was talking about alternative delivery. Now alternatives are all the rage. It is easy to see that Blu-Ray will never be what DVD was.

thx - actually... DD isnt getting momentum at all. Latest reports indicate Blu-ray is getting all the momentum.

letsdance,

I guess you will find this interesting. BestBuy getting into the DD business and 42% of Netflix subscribers now streaming up from 22% the previous year.

http://bit.ly/4EM4ah