By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - A gaming convo between me and Shams

RolStoppable said:
shams said:
tabsina said:
summary? summary anyone? :P

i got about half way through the first post, but i'm too tired to keep reading :P .. what i did read was a good read though :)

The best bits are around the middle IMO.

Its primarily a discussion of the direction of all three consoles, why we think the Wii will dominate, and why the PS3 is a poor direction for Sony. Also a general discussion about Sony - and how the "vertical" nature of their business actually puts them at a strong disadvantage.

PS - if all goes to plan, I'll be able to reveal the content of the "cut" lines soon enough - and why I asked for them to be cut.

I hope these parts aren't about a WiiHD or Nintendo's "one generation behind" strategy for the next gen as well (i.e. receive ports of 360/PS3 games for their Wii successor).

You have dropped this nonsense by now, right?

for some reason i was almost 100% that the cut lines were of a personal nature

and shams, i'll give that part a read now before i go for the night ;)

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
shams said:
tabsina said:
summary? summary anyone? :P

i got about half way through the first post, but i'm too tired to keep reading :P .. what i did read was a good read though :)

The best bits are around the middle IMO.

Its primarily a discussion of the direction of all three consoles, why we think the Wii will dominate, and why the PS3 is a poor direction for Sony. Also a general discussion about Sony - and how the "vertical" nature of their business actually puts them at a strong disadvantage.

PS - if all goes to plan, I'll be able to reveal the content of the "cut" lines soon enough - and why I asked for them to be cut.

I hope these parts aren't about a WiiHD or Nintendo's "one generation behind" strategy for the next gen as well (i.e. receive ports of 360/PS3 games for their Wii successor).

You have dropped this nonsense by now, right?

I was never a believer of WiiHD.

And as for receiving ports - its almost guaranteed if you think about it. But that is still a LONG way off, and irrelevant to discuss at this stage.

But no - the cut lines have nothing to do with this, and nothing to do with the rest of the conversation in general. I let John in on a little secret, which made him happy (and has already made me happy). If all goes to plan, everyone here will find out in a few weeks :)

(just something sort of confidential that can't be talked about just yet...) 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

The best parts for me were near the middle to end. I enjoyed teh talk about nintendo roots and it's critical to continue to think about the Blue Ocean strategy and how most people don't get it. Some people are still wondering where teh Wii with DVD playback is. Maybe reading this conversation would educate them aobut the difference between Sony and Nintendo.

It was all very flattering to Nintendo, which they deserve at this point, but we still need to see if Nintendo will follow through with the cards up there sleves or if they will be self defeating.

I agree that Wiiware and the VC hearald this to come but why is it the only free game sampling I can get from the shop is one video of Metroid. When is the Galaxy preview going to hit? And for that matter I will be convinced of their turnaround with 3rd paties when they start putting videos of all the games released on the Wii on the shop.

I fear Nintendo is too conservative and a little too arrogant to boot. They no longer view 3rd parties as competition which is good but I think they have reached somewhere near neutral with them rather than hostile. An improvement but still along way to go. I agree they are video gaming and they are at the heart of the innovation, but they need to embrace change, it is their gambles that pay off the best. The N64 was hampered by clinging to an outmodded format and the Cube failed to take enough risks to set it apart. The Wii apartently left these concerns aside, so let the revoltion come on in full and reight now.

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt

Damn what a long conversation, pretty interesting read though.

[9:55:07 AM] John Lucas says: what character represents fully "sony gaming"

[9:55:25 AM] Shams says: A car?

SeriousWB: LOL

MontanaHatchet said:
Ishy said:
Good read John Lucas... you make some excellent points... especially about the Sony higher-ups only 'tolerating' video games when they made a profit... BUT now that video games aren't profitting Sony, those Higher-UPS will not tolerate them, and maybe, just maybe we won't see a PS4...

Yay for kitty pictures! 

Around the Network

(Yes, I actually read through the whole thing. Do I get a cookie?)

A bit of perspective:

In the late 80s USA Sony Walkmen were pretty much standard. They were really good cassette players that were great quality for the price.

In the early 90s, Sony makes a CD walkman. It doesn't really take off as well as the cassette player. Competition is able to easily duplicate CD players and undercut Sony while improving quality. I pretty much call it the "Sony tax" at this point: You pay more money for the same model because it's the Sony brand.

By the late 90s...Apple? I mean really Sony, ball dropped. You should have been all over that. How could you let a computer company take away your music player? Oh right, you kept trying to push your...um...AAC3 format or whatever it is *allows a tech head to correct* instead of innovating your product to play off a hard drive.

And that's how I see the Sony of recent times: They have the knowhow and research to create new technology, but instead of giving it to everyone they yell "MINE! Now YOU pay for it!" and are surprised when everyone says no.

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

unrelated... i thought Skype is VOIP? how did you manage to log all this, John?

the Wii is an epidemic.

I skimmed through and I found a lot of stupid things, but this is the one I found the most interesting...

[8:28:34 AM] John Lucas says: outside of the online region locking there is no significant weakeness to wii

That pretty much explains itself. 

Lingyis said:
unrelated... i thought Skype is VOIP? how did you manage to log all this, John?

Ol' fashioned copy & paste. Click in window, Select All, Copy, Paste.

I was hoping I could just save the log like you could in Yahoo messenger but when I found out you couldn't do that I just copy & pasted this to a word file.

John Lucas 

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

He wasn't amazed by your copy/pasting skills, he was confused because most people know Skype as basically an internet telephone. Of course it also has a text-messaging side to it, but that's easy to forget. =P