By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Ratchet and Clank ToD review thread.

Munkeh said:
How come they can do this in a year, yet Lair took far longer, yet was hampered with poor controls and other problems

Because Factor 5 is a mess and their games have just been getting worse and worse over time - and this is coming from somebody who actually enjoyed Lair.

Around the Network
Deviation59 said:
Munkeh said:
How come they can do this in a year, yet Lair took far longer, yet was hampered with poor controls and other problems

Because Factor 5 is a mess and their games have just been getting worse and worse over time - and this is coming from somebody who actually enjoyed Lair.

Whereas Insomniac are geniuses (how do you spell genii?)

add me

Ouch at the quote from 1UP: An uninspired story, a glitchy weapon, and a sometimes-unwieldy camera don't damage Ratchet beyond repair. The irresistibly addictive jumping-shooting-collecting-upgrading gameplay is as powerful here as it's ever been, and the optional collectibles, side-missions, and unlockable Challenge mode offer a really satisfying amount of play time.

An uninspired story? Huh, IGN went on at some length about how great they thought it was. Can't satisfy everyone, I suppose.

I don't know what the hell is up with Insomniac, but Resistance STILL kicks the shit out of almost every other game I own, and it was a launch title....Insomniac needs to teach a class on how not to suck. Whereas most other developers can team up and teach Insomniac a thing or two in Sucking and Failing 101.

And how can you dock it for not having a good story? The Mario AND Zelda games have a lead character who never talks and are always nothing but "Rescue the princess from this dude". The Ratchet games have way better story IMO.

When I go to the SGF website and click on the Xbox defense force it goes to 1up.com.

There stupid review dropped the score to 9.3

mM
Around the Network
Munkeh said:

I would guess it'sa difference in design concept.  This was made to be an awesome game that also looked awesome.  While Lair was a game that was made to look awesome and also be an awesome game.

When you focus on making your gameplay solid everything works out well.  When you focus on your graphics most you don't pay enough attention to gameplay and get behind on the glitches.

Well that and Insominiac has PS3 expierence already.

No, their review dropped it to 9.1, Gamepro and Gametap's scores brought it back up to 9.3 again.

Andir said:
krik said:
kamil said:
Right now it has 93% on Metacritic with 5 reviews:
PSM Magazine - 95
GamerNode - 95
PSM3 Magazine UK - 93
GameTrailers - 90
Games Radar - 90

Some other reviews (mentioned in this thread but not included in Metacritic):
EGm - 8.5, 9.5, 9
Psx extreme - 9
Pro-G - 9

So we have 8 reviews and noone is lower than 9 (I assume that EGm score = 9). The game should end with rating close to 9, possilby a little higher.

Biased 1up gave it a 8.5 (Good) and finishes the review with

"After beating the game, I immediately started over in Challenge mode, and that's not something I'd be willing to do for just any platformer.

So don't get me wrong -- Future is a very good game. I guess I was just hoping for a great game. Maybe next time."

Seems the reviewer was pressed to keep it under 9.0. I wonder why :)

1UP == Ziff Davis == "Games For Windows: The Official Magazine" == you now know why.  I haven't seen an EGM mag recently, but I'm sure it's full of PC/MS ads.  Why would they want to support the PS3?

Joe Rybrick was the author of that review, and used to be the Senior Editor of Official US PSM. 1UP bias confirmed

Oh, and the PS3s success really has little to do with games for windows. Ziff Davis needs all the cash they can get, and they sure as hell wouldn't turn down an advertisment based on some non-existent anti-PS3 agenda.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

@Munkeh

LETS HOPE Gamespot gives it a higher score than 9.3

then it'll be ABOVE Oblivion

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

Consoles owned - SNES, N64, PS, GC, PS2, PSP, PS3

I DO NOT support Xbox

My prediction for YEARS END:

WII - 18.3 Million

Xbox 360 - 15 Million

Playstation 3 - 8.5 Million

Gamepost.. LMAO!! They are extreemly biased. I dont even expect a 9 from them