By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are old games more fun then today games

I don't know for you guys but don't you feel that games was more enjoyable in the past then games of now?

I don't say that games of now suck (they indeed fun) but back in the snes/n64/ps1 era, games was more fun and more memorable for me then games of this generation.

Is it me who being too old for video games (I really hope not) or is because video games are losing they "potential".

What about you guys,do you feel the same way?

Around the Network

Ultimately, no.

Tastes vary greatly from person to person.

Pixel Art can be fun.

It's probably because you were less than 10 years old when you played them. Of course videogames will be more memorable from your childhood than they will be now. Doesn't mean they're amazingly better.

Well, I'm not exactly an older gamer, only been playing since the PS1/N64 days, but I'd say that games today are still very enjoyable. I'd say they're more enjoyable than a lot of the older games. I don't feel nostalgia for older games (pre PS1 era) so when I try them and find out that I suck at them, I get mad and just forget about it.

Granted, Mario Kart 64 is still one of my all time favorite games, but I have plenty of games today that I've really enjoyed and had a ton of fun with. Warhawk, inFamous, Ratchet & Clank, Resistance, Assassin's Creed...

EDIT: Yes, those are all PS3 games (one multiplat), but keep in mind that I just can't afford more than one console. Also, the only game that I've spent a lot of time with that isn't on the PS3 this gen is Halo 3, which is also a lot of fun. Add that to the list.

EDIT 2: OMG, how could I forget LBP?

Okay, I think you get the point.

I don't know. For me, some of the most memorable old games are Crash Bandicoot, Mortal Kombat Trilogy, Pokemon, FFVII, Smash Bros. and Crash Team Racing. Yes I started on a PS1.

But today, I have experienced many more games which I can add to that list, for example, God of War II, COD Modern Warfare, MGS4, Little Big Planet, Shadow of the Colossus, LOZ Phantom Hourglass, and even the newer pokemon games. So I don't think that the old are better or more enjoyable, but they as a whole are.

Today proves to have higher standards and expectations which may be why.

Around the Network

you got older.

I think the same, but as Montana says, it is probably because your age. The games you've played in your childhood always will be more memorable than those youre playing now as an adult guy.

MY ZELDA COLLECTION

i dont know about better but more fun yes, games these days tend to be too long, and everyone wants the best hours per dollar ratio. Which is a shame because too me a shorter game can be more enjoyable than a longer game.

if its a game that had an impact on you, it doesnt matter how old you were or are now, or whether the game was even particularly good... just the way you felt about it at the time. i love wolfchild, i remember the first time i got to the end level... back in those days (lol) games werent just about winning, because you couldnt exactly save your progress. play it, see how far you get and then when my mum called me for dinner i'd have to either switch it off and try all over again later or else keep it on pause for ages

aah good times.

OT: not particularly.

Highwaystar101 said: trashleg said that if I didn't pay back the money she leant me, she would come round and break my legs... That's why people call her trashleg, because she trashes the legs of the people she loan sharks money to.
CGI-Quality said:
MasterZack said:
I think the same, but as Montana says, it is probably because your age. The games you've played in your childhood always will be more memorable than those youre playing now as an adult guy.

That's true for the most part, but not the rule. There ARE games this gen that I'm sure will eclipse some of my childhood memories.

Well, its not the rule, but you got the idea. In my case, Mario Galaxy was one of those games.

MY ZELDA COLLECTION