By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Did the price cut really helps the PS3 and the Wii? Or its just temporary?

justinian said:

If moving off the bottom of the weekly console sales charts and more than tripling sales from previous months isn't progressive (not helping) then I don't know what is.

Temporary???

Everything in life IS temporary.

If you mean the Wii did the Wii have more sales weekly last year compared to this year?

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

Around the Network
yushire said:
justinian said:

If moving off the bottom of the weekly console sales charts and more than tripling sales from previous months isn't progressive (not helping) then I don't know what is.

Temporary???

If you mean the Wii did the Wii have more sales weekly last year compared to this year?

Is the Wii selling better than what it was before the price cut? Honestly Nintendo know what they're doing, the Wii Sports Resort, Wii Fit Plus, NSMBWii and price cut are all going to work in tandem this holiday to push Wii sales higher than last holiday. It wasn't going to happen without the price cut because Nintendo screwed up this year and didn't have the hardware sellers available.

PS3 - It's obviously helped and sales are increasing every week. Sure it's temporary but it'll probably last 6 months or more before the PS3 really starts dropping again.

Heres the NPD from October 2008, if either the Wii outsell their monthly sales last year or if PS3 maintain its momentum then the pricecut really works after all. But really I doubt it:

* Wii - 803,000
* Nintendo DS - 491,000
* Xbox 360 - 371,000
* PlayStation 3 - 190,000
* PSP - 193,000
* PlayStation 2 - 136,000

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

Thank god the world revolves around the US, huh?

Why don't you pull out Xbox 360 numbers after their price cut. I'd like to see whether that was able to keep its momentum worldwide (without the use of the holiday bump).

puffy said:
yushire said:
justinian said:

Temporary???

Is the Wii selling better than what it was before the price cut? Honestly Nintendo know what they're doing, the Wii Sports Resort, Wii Fit Plus, NSMBWii and price cut are all going to work in tandem this holiday to push Wii sales higher than last holiday. It wasn't going to happen without the price cut because Nintendo screwed up this year and didn't have the hardware sellers available.

PS3 - It's obviously helped and sales are increasing every week. Sure it's temporary but it'll probably last 6 months or more before the PS3 really starts dropping again.

You must read my last post before this one, Nintendo Wii must outsell or even more their monthly sales last year for the pricecut to be worth it. if not, why even bother with losing potential profit with a 250 dollar console to slash the price at  200?

E3 2010- Tape runs out

Around the Network
yushire said:
puffy said:
yushire said:
justinian said:

Temporary???

You must read my last post before this one, Nintendo Wii must outsell or even more their monthly sales last year for the pricecut to be worth it. if not, why even bother with losing potential profit with a 250 dollar console to slash the price at  200?

Business doesn't work that way, there is a certain amount of people that will buy your product at $250. There's a certain number that will buy at $199 etc.. Nintendo obviously weighed up the amount of people that would buy this holiday for $250 and it wasn't enough. It's about momentum in the console business and having a lower amount of sales through the holiday would probably have caused a future price cut to $199 to have a smaller impact.

Trust me, you can't just say 'it has to outsell last year to be worth it' because there are many other factors to consider with a pricing strategy.

Why bother replying to a guy who posts the same doom and gloom thread every five minutes?

Look, yushire, if you find video games this depressing, why don't you just quit playing them?

puffy said:
yushire said:
puffy said:
yushire said:
justinian said:

Temporary???

Business doesn't work that way, there is a certain amount of people that will buy your product at $250. There's a certain number that will buy at $199 etc.. Nintendo obviously weighed up the amount of people that would buy this holiday for $250 and it wasn't enough. It's about momentum in the console business and having a lower amount of sales through the holiday would probably have caused a future price cut to $199 to have a smaller impact.

Trust me, you can't just say 'it has to outsell last year to be worth it' because there are many other factors to consider with a pricing strategy.

Which means you have nothing to say... Even Pachter would predict that this time the Wii's fandom fizzeld out and Nintendo needs a new console Wii HD Wii 2 anything to satisfy the userbase and PS360 should battle with the red ocean with their motion controllers. And make the Wii becomes a cash cow like the PS2 while Ninty will invest in their new console for another blue ocean.And for everyone that quote Pachter's predictions, what he said in the public was just for public enjoyment. I mean aint the gaming community wouldnt have good laughs if not for Pachter's crazy predictions?

And trust me, not everything that Nintendo done was good or for the better of their business...

I betcha even the PS3 equaled or even outsells the Wii in the next NPD even with the price cut you will still say that Good job Nintendo. your Wii was still selling.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

ctalkeb said:
Why bother replying to a guy who posts the same doom and gloom thread every five minutes?

Look, yushire, if you find video games this depressing, why don't you just quit playing them?

Ironic... because this site always posts thread and articles of a man that makes long blogs on how the gaming industry was doomed. I betcha if I become like good blogger like Malstrom you will post my blogs too.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

yushire said:

Ironic... because this site always posts thread and articles of a man that makes long blogs on how the gaming industry was doomed. I betcha if I become like good blogger like Malstrom you will post my blogs too.

Malstrom is also shit, but a more entertaining writer.

The question was serious though, and from my point of view more serious than your recent posts; Why do you find videogames so depressing that you feel that need to start the-industry-is-doomed discussions about it all the time? Why start so many topics? They're all pretty much the same anyway. When you run out of arguments in one, you just start it over again.