By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why are American Football fans soooo boring / lame?

well thats not always a bad thing seeing how many fights there are concerning football

"They will know heghan belongs to the helghast"

"England expects that everyman will do his duty"

"we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender"

Around the Network
letsdance said:
damkira said:

To be fair, most American Football fans are morbidly obese. You wouldn't have a lot of energy for cheering either if you had extremely high blood pressure and diabetes.

What a stupid, ignorant, and boarderline racist thing to say. Unless you show me medical stats that show 51% of US citizens have high blood pressure and diabetes and that the people watch soccer don't. You pretty much insulted a whole country... that isn't bannable?

to be fair your assuming the fans were american,what he said was american football fans which may mean that fans from all over the world.still not a nice hting to say

"we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender"

NKAJ said:
letsdance said:
damkira said:

To be fair, most American Football fans are morbidly obese. You wouldn't have a lot of energy for cheering either if you had extremely high blood pressure and diabetes.

What a stupid, ignorant, and boarderline racist thing to say. Unless you show me medical stats that show 51% of US citizens have high blood pressure and diabetes and that the people watch soccer don't. You pretty much insulted a whole country... that isn't bannable?

to be fair your assuming the fans were american,what he said was american football fans which may mean that fans from all over the world.still not a nice hting to say

The super bowl is the most watched thing in the United States... so yes, football fans are mostly american.

letsdance said:
NKAJ said:
letsdance said:
damkira said:

The super bowl is the most watched thing in the United States... so yes, football fans are mostly american.

perhap it is the most watched thing,doesnt mean there all fans and not all americans watch it obviously...still im not sure hwy im defending him so im gonna stop

Interesting article if you care:

Church Deacon Rips Testicle From Rival Football Fan
By Nikki Weingartner.
Subscribe to author
Published Mar 27, 2008 by ■ Nikki Weingartner - 15 votes, 34 comments
ShareThis Share on Facebook
Listen - Email - Print
Recipient email:
You can enter up to 10 comma-separated email addresses.
Your email:
optional

University Of Oklahoma Flag
Vote up this image!
A judge ordered 54-year-old Oklahoma church deacon and government auditor to stand trial on felony assault charges after he nearly castrated Christopher Thomas, 35, back in 2007 for events associated with wearing a rival football T-shirt.
Known as the “Red River Shoot Out”, Texas Longhorns vs. Oklahoma Sooners is an ongoing college football rivalry, indigenous to the two states since 1900 that closes down the streets of downtown Dallas during game weekends and creates a lot of rival crowd activity, with yelling, screaming and unruly behavior all in the spirit of the game.
An incident in June of 2007 that sparked Allen Beckett, a church deacon and OU fan, to rip the scrotum of rival Longhorn fan, Thomas, created quite a fight in itself.
Beckett has been ordered by Special Judge D. Fred Doak to stand trial on aggravated assault and battery charges against Charles Thomas.
Thomas wore a University of Texas Longhorns shirt into an Oklahoma bar, months prior to the famed rival football game when tensions were soaring. The bar was a popular hangout for local Oklahoma Sooners fans and according to the news article, Beckett was said to have immediately taunted Thomas.
In the older article, Beckett’s attorney states:

Sure, he's an OU fan. Not necessarily an overboard die-hard OU fan, but he certainly admits he said something in a joking fashion to the guy about his Texas T-shirt. The guy got offended. He said he was sorry

What happened between the taunting and the ripping of the scrotum is to be decided by the courts.
According to yesterday's report, Thomas states that after being at a table in the bar for around twenty minutes, he decided to leave and when he got up to pay his bar tab is when Beckett attacked him.
Thomas explained the event in a panic, as he heard a “popping” noise, and then saw a lot of blood, a tear in his scrotum and an exposed testicle from where Beckett had grabbed him.
Beckett’s attorney claims that his client reacted in “self-defense” to a verbal threat.

The guy came over his other shoulder, and basically said, 'I'm getting ready to kick your you-know-what.' He said he felt threatened and he did what he thought he needed to do and grabbed him and left the bar,

No permanent damage was done to Thomas’ testicle, although he did have sixty stitches in the delicate area.
If convicted, Beckett faces up to five years in the State Penitentiary under Oklahoma Penal Code 21-646.

That's pretty raucous

Also, I'd invite you to anywhere within 50 miles of the Horseshoe when the OSU-Michigan game is on. I'd venture to say 75% of every person outside is wearing OSU gear. The other 25% are wearing Michigan.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network
NKAJ said:
letsdance said:
NKAJ said:
letsdance said:
damkira said:

perhap it is the most watched thing,doesnt mean there all fans and not all americans watch it obviously...still im not sure hwy im defending him so im gonna stop

Wait... are you suggesting that people who watch the Super Bowl aren't football fans? Is that a joke? Why would a shit ton people across the nation all go to sports bars, Super Bowl parties, or sit and watch with the family if they aren't fans of it especially when 99% of them aren't even fans of either one of the teams. Seriously, people watch the game when their team isn't even in it. That doesn't happan as much with any sport in America. They are obviously fans of the sport. And trust me... not many people outside of America watch.

mrstickball said:
Interesting article if you care:

Church Deacon Rips Testicle From Rival Football Fan
By Nikki Weingartner.
Subscribe to author
Published Mar 27, 2008 by ■ Nikki Weingartner - 15 votes, 34 comments
ShareThis Share on Facebook
Listen - Email - Print
Recipient email:
You can enter up to 10 comma-separated email addresses.
Your email:
optional

University Of Oklahoma Flag
Vote up this image!
A judge ordered 54-year-old Oklahoma church deacon and government auditor to stand trial on felony assault charges after he nearly castrated Christopher Thomas, 35, back in 2007 for events associated with wearing a rival football T-shirt.
Known as the “Red River Shoot Out”, Texas Longhorns vs. Oklahoma Sooners is an ongoing college football rivalry, indigenous to the two states since 1900 that closes down the streets of downtown Dallas during game weekends and creates a lot of rival crowd activity, with yelling, screaming and unruly behavior all in the spirit of the game.
An incident in June of 2007 that sparked Allen Beckett, a church deacon and OU fan, to rip the scrotum of rival Longhorn fan, Thomas, created quite a fight in itself.
Beckett has been ordered by Special Judge D. Fred Doak to stand trial on aggravated assault and battery charges against Charles Thomas.
Thomas wore a University of Texas Longhorns shirt into an Oklahoma bar, months prior to the famed rival football game when tensions were soaring. The bar was a popular hangout for local Oklahoma Sooners fans and according to the news article, Beckett was said to have immediately taunted Thomas.
In the older article, Beckett’s attorney states:

Sure, he's an OU fan. Not necessarily an overboard die-hard OU fan, but he certainly admits he said something in a joking fashion to the guy about his Texas T-shirt. The guy got offended. He said he was sorry

What happened between the taunting and the ripping of the scrotum is to be decided by the courts.
According to yesterday's report, Thomas states that after being at a table in the bar for around twenty minutes, he decided to leave and when he got up to pay his bar tab is when Beckett attacked him.
Thomas explained the event in a panic, as he heard a “popping” noise, and then saw a lot of blood, a tear in his scrotum and an exposed testicle from where Beckett had grabbed him.
Beckett’s attorney claims that his client reacted in “self-defense” to a verbal threat.

The guy came over his other shoulder, and basically said, 'I'm getting ready to kick your you-know-what.' He said he felt threatened and he did what he thought he needed to do and grabbed him and left the bar,

No permanent damage was done to Thomas’ testicle, although he did have sixty stitches in the delicate area.
If convicted, Beckett faces up to five years in the State Penitentiary under Oklahoma Penal Code 21-646.

That's pretty raucous

Also, I'd invite you to anywhere within 50 miles of the Horseshoe when the OSU-Michigan game is on. I'd venture to say 75% of every person outside is wearing OSU gear. The other 25% are wearing Michigan.

Well, I guess it isn't the real only the real life soccer games that drive people crazy.  The virtual ones turn you into a murder!  (insert horror surprise noise here)

http://kotaku.com/5390727/schizo-teen-goes-on-drunken-ax-rampage-after-fifa-losing-streak

I give that post a 9.6.

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

Honestly, I have never paid attention to American football fans (nor the game for that matter, too much start-stop) but whenever it's show in series you do get the cheerleaders and the crowd shouting obscenities (think Homer, or Al Bundy). Perhaps it's wrong but that is how I'll view the American football fan. Passionate but mostly in words and less in the dancing and about average in singing.

If I may compare to the world cup, and I hope some of the Americans will see this for themselves as well next year, it's a nation-wide party. Fans will be dressed in the national colours constantly, for weeks in a row. Whole cities will be overrun by fans from across the globe in never before seen mixes. I remember the Dutch/Belgium EU cup 10 years ago, it was madness in Amsterdam with nations from all across Europe celebrating, singing and dancing from the red light district to Leidsche square. It was filled up constantly and even the police had a great time (yeah, no fighting).

that's what I'd miss in American football...

The Doctor will see you now  Promoting Lesbianism -->

Esmoreit -

We do stuff like that on a collegiate level in American football. Ohio State is one of the most ravenous fanbases in college FB, and it's a state-wide event when OSU goes to a major bowl game.

But to be fair: America is far more diverse in what sports we enjoy. Europeans have soccer and.........Nothing. That's not to say they don't make sports like Rugby, Basketball or Cricket available, but your country is wholly consumed with one sport.

America isn't quite like that. Although football is considered our national sport, the fact is that it's severely fragmented by many schools (Ohio has 8 division 1 schools eligible for the championship and another 30 colleges that field football teams) and other sports. We have college and professional teams in football, basketball, baseball, hockey, soccer, and NASCAR. Not to mention Tennis and Golf get regular coverage. Because of so many options, it's hard to find just one sport, one level, that unites Americans - many college FB fans (such as myself) really don't like pro football, and vice versa.

Again, I recommend everyone questioning the passion of football fans, I recommend reading up on the OSU-Michigan football rivalry which may be one of the most intense in history. Few other rivalries stem from wars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_%E2%80%93_Ohio_State_rivalry

It's a fantastic tradition. Recently, my town (20mi from the Shoe) had a huge festival. Some of the carnies were from Michigan wearing their team colors....They were getting heckled the entire time, and did very poorly at the festival which usually sees 200,000 people a day. Oh, and on football Saturday, it's a virtual sea of scarlet and grey.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

I won't say that we are focussed on one sport. True, soccer is without a doubt the most populair. But Hockey always fills up a stadium, swimming is incredibly populair these days, we are the country that invented skating, and we have ample supply of world champion martial artists. All sports that are incredibly populair here.

The Doctor will see you now  Promoting Lesbianism -->