By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft: on PS3s recent sales surge "We expect it to be short-term and we expect them to be back down to third place soon like they’ve always been.”

Microsoft representatives have always entertained the gaming industry with their little quips and snide remarks when it comes to the competition between the Xbox 360 and Sony’s PS3. When asked about the PS3’s sudden surge in sales, a Microsoft rep made an interesting snide remark.

I always seem to find the remarks coming out of Microsoft’s Xbox camp humorous. We have compiled a list of times Turn 10 folks bad mouthed Polyphony Digital. We also complied a list of times the charismatic Aaron Greenberg flung mud as well.

You can read both compilations below:"

Top 6 Turn 10 moments bad mouthing Polyphony Digital

Top 6 Aaron Greenberg bad mouthing moments

It really is interesting, I stated in the Aaron Greenberg article that I am working on compiling a similar list for Sony and listed one incident earlier this year in January where Kaz said something ridiculous about the Xbox 360. However, I have to honestly say Sony has been acting professional for the majority of the year.

In light of the recent NPD report showing the PS3 taking the number one spot out of the three consoles, reaction from Microsoft have been pretty harsh. When asked by Seatle Pi about the PS3’s recent surge in sales, David Dennis, spokesperson for Xbox division made some disparaging remarks. Dennis initially stated that the company feels great about the Xbox 360 sales figures and also expected Sony to have a great month. Up to this point the response seemed cordial, but then it all went downhill.

Dennis then stated, "We expect it to be short-term and we expect them to be back down to third place soon like they’ve always been.” Ouch! Those are definitely some fighting words. To break down his response, Dennis is technically only half correct.

The PS3 outsold the Xbox 360 for more than half the year in 2008. The PS3 also ended up selling exactly the same amount as the Xbox 360 (10.7 mil) in 2008. So, to say something like, “…third place soon like they’ve always been” seems a bit arrogant. Actually, when you look at the price drop for the Xbox 360 last year in 2008, that was the turning point for the system enabling it to catch up to the PS3’s lead that year.

Microsoft announced the Xbox 360 price drop last year around September and Sony announced the PS3 price drop around the same time this year. Could this be last year in reverse, but ultimately ending in the PS3 and Xbox 360 selling about the same amount this year again? One thing Dennis is correct about is that the sales surge the PS3 is experiencing won’t last long just like any other price cut whether its the Xbox 360 or PS3.

http://gamer.blorge.com/2009/10/25/microsoft-wrong-about-ps3-position-history-but-right-about-sales-boost-longevity/

Well both Microsoft and Sony can be harsh with one another. They are competitors after all. Though Nintendo is smart to usually keep out of stuff like this.

Around the Network

Holy crap the thread titles have been extended to 75 characters?, daaayummm!

OT: Oho crazy Microsoft, keep dreaming.

I demand to know how you managed to make a thread with a title that long

Gilgamesh said:

No, still not, that's why I asked

he seemed pretty bitter

zexen_lowe said:

Gilgamesh said:

Yeh its 75 characters now, take a look, it use to be 25

Around the Network

ms knows they have been beat down and will be forced to stay down.

A far inferior product wont win when the price difference is close, unless a $99 360 is in the pipe line.

zexen_lowe said:

Gilgamesh said:

I am a hacker! Just kidding I started off with writing ''Microsoft on PS3s recent sales surge'' then copy and pasted the rest my friend. 

Gilgamesh said:

Yeh its 75 characters now, take a look, it use to be 25

I think it was always 75

Lastgengamer said:

I am a hacker! Just kidding I started off with writing ''Microsoft on PS3s recent sales surge'' then copy and pasted the rest my friend. 

That's why I was askind, I tried that too and to no avail, it cuts me automatically at 75

Its PR i dont expect them to actually use logic.

But its generally hard to play catch up when the 360 had been on the market by itself for a year with no "next gen" console competition.

Oh well. Launches aligned PS3 > 360. Thats really all that matters to us who want to discuss or analyze console comparison sales like grown ups.

Microsoft is a dreamer