By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Who got Windows 7?

I just don't understand what all the main differences. I'm happy with Vista, I wouldn't mind a boost in speed, but besides that? what else? I browse sketchy websites and i've torrented loads of sketchy things....and ive never gotten a virus (or at least one that affected my system in a way ive noticed).

Around the Network

Faster (much) is generally enough of an excuse

Never argue with idiots
They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience

Infamy79 said:

Except no professional hardware reviewer showed those speed increases.

At least not on any modern hardware.

But effect of placebo is truly miraculous

Or maybe it's just people upgrading from bloated several years old uncleaned windows xp installations. Then for sure there will be day and night difference.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

I upgraded from XP to windows 7 so for me the speed increase was apparent. Also it looks better on my 40 inch LCD then XP did. Only problem I had was Assassins Creed DX10 exe would not load when I had the desktop icons/text at a larger size. If I set it back to normal it works fine

Zlejedi said:
Infamy79 said:

Or maybe it's just people upgrading from bloated several years old uncleaned windows xp installations. Then for sure there will be day and night difference.

I couldn't care less what people have reported, I know what I've seen with my very eyes MULTIPLE times. The biggest speed gains occur on lower spec machines. Specifically (from my experience) laptops running Vista with 1-2GB of RAM, I haven't installed it on any desktops yet.

I found Vista x64 install blazing fast on my Core i7 with 6GB DDR3 RAM, it runs like a dream, so I don't expect much of an increase when I get around to installing Windows 7 on that, however for most people who buy cheap entry level machines, they will see improvements.

Never argue with idiots
They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience

Around the Network
Infamy79 said:
Zlejedi said:
Infamy79 said:

I couldn't care less what people have reported, I know what I've seen with my very eyes MULTIPLE times. The biggest speed gains occur on lower spec machines. Specifically (from my experience) laptops running Vista with 1-2GB of RAM, I haven't installed it on any desktops yet.

I found Vista x64 install blazing fast on my Core i7 with 6GB DDR3 RAM, it runs like a dream, so I don't expect much of an increase when I get around to installing Windows 7 on that, however for most people who buy cheap entry level machines, they will see improvements.

It is also faster on mine.  I did a Win7 Ult x86 clean install (2GB RAM).  It is faster than the Vista H.Prem. version.  Btw, I read that Win8 is going to have 128 bit support...

I upgraded my Core i7 machine from Vista 64 bit to 7 64 bit and its running well.  I mostly use it for gaming.

Currently playing:  PC:  Wolfenstein  PS2:  Final Fantasy X  PS3: All-Pro Football 2K8 Wii:  Force Unleashed  PSP:  God of War: CoO Xbox 360:  Gears of War 2  

Most anticipated game:  Dragon Age Origins (PC)

halogamer1989 said:

It is also faster on mine.  I did a Win7 Ult x86 clean install (2GB RAM).  It is faster than the Vista H.Prem. version.  Btw, I read that Win8 is going to have 128 bit support...

Yeah, I've already read that Windows 8 is going to be on 64-bit to 128-bit. 32-bit is going out the window now, so 64-bit will be the new standard soon. That means if we want the hardcore Windows 8, us gamers may have to get new PCs for 128-bit support, although I'm going to wait awhile for that. I'm happy with my HP Pavilion dv7-1175nr laptop (with Blu-Ray and NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT).

I had a question for those who have Win7. I have it too. When your screen shuts off for powersaving, if you have that setting. When you move the mouse to bring the screen back does it take long to come back? I don't know if that could be Win7 or could it depend on your computer itself? My old computer would pop the screen back quickly once i moved the mouse, my new computer doesn't.

faster it's not really good use.

it's faster than vista.

but for games u get pretty much the same FPS.

so yeah not fast, just not slow as vista. XP still faster.

i found what games my pc cant run, RE5 PC and Crysis.

the rest playable! yay