By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Need PC Help... Reformating Harddrive

Okay, I've decided to reformat my harddrive that has windows xp on it and then reinstall it. At this point everytime I log on I get endless numbers of Rundll errors and only a fraction of the lower desktop icons ever load. Now Internet Explorer won't connect to the internet while the other versions work just fine.

I want a fresh start and since all my files are already backed up on the other harddrive...

How exactly would I go about reformatting this windows harddrive step by step? (Like we're talking basic learning how to walk steps)

Also I need to know how to backup my favorite places in Internet Explorer.

So if anyone would be so kind as to walk me through this seemingly "no duh" task, I'd greatly appreciate it. Also, I've done it before but if you could remind me exactly what steps to go through in reinstalling windows, that would be swell too.

Around the Network

Well, if you have an installation disc for Windows, you can just have it move the old files to a separate folder (called Windows.old), and then do a fresh install of the OS, after which you can grab what you want from the old files, and then delete them.

Wii/PC/DS Lite/PSP-2000 owner, shameless Nintendo and AMD fanboy.

My comp, as shown to the right (click for fullsize pic)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
Video Card: XFX 1 GB Radeon HD 5870
Memory: 8 GB A-Data DDR3-1600
Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
Primary Storage: OCZ Vertex 120 GB
Case: Cooler Master HAF-932
Extra Storage: WD Caviar Black 640 GB,
WD Caviar Black 750 GB, WD Caviar Black 1 TB
Display: Triple ASUS 25.5" 1920x1200 monitors
Sound: HT Omega Striker 7.1 sound card,
Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers
Input: Logitech G5 mouse,
Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 keyboard
Wii Friend Code: 2772 8804 2626 5138 Steam: jefforange89

that sounds  complicated, I'd rather just save my favorite places and then reinstall windows.

Can I just reinstall windows by putting the install disc back in and telling it to redo everything?

you can,. but you will lose HD space, use a free program like Dban. download the program, burn it unto disc, boot your computer from the disk, type autonuke, and wait a few hours. then do your install!

Past Avatar picture!!!

Don't forget your helmet there, Master Chief!

easiest way is backup your folders you want to save on a flash drive or portable HDD. Then just put in your XP cd and click fresh install it should delete everything.

Optionally you could use a windows 98 boot disk and boot up dos and run fdisk then delete all partitions and create a new one. Then reboot and run format C:. that will wipe EVERYTHING on you HDD

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

Around the Network

If ur gonna reformat, I would recommend Windows 7. Bcus the newest M$ operating system just came out, it would be wise to use this ocne in a lifetime opportunity to get the latest and better improving operating system. In this case, ur lucky bcus if ur gonna reformat (which is a wise decision), y not just grab the latest operating system to reformat it with?

So my advice is first, backup all of ur data either to dvd's, flash drives, external hd bcus u will lose all of it of u reformat. Then insert ur windows xp disc and do a clean installation. If ur really concerned about favorites, then i would somehow create a export file and put in it the external hd. Then u can import it later. I believe there is a feature in IE to expoer your favorites to a file, then just put it in the external hd.

But hey just remember, windows 7 just came out, so its ur choice.

Above I'm a proud Gran Turismo fan, not a Sony fanboy, and now a proud 360 owner, but sharing xbox live accts ATM

End of 2009 Predictions (made Jan 1, 2009): My predictions were pretty accurate, the 360 was over and the Wii was just under.

Wii: 65 mil (yea I'm crazy) 360: 35 mil (its getting there) PS3: 30 mil (the slim better do well)

End of 2010 Predictions (made Jan 7, 2010):

Wii: 81 mil  360: 47 mil PS3: 45 mil

GranTurismoHelperMax said:
If ur gonna reformat, I would recommend Windows 7. Bcus the newest M$ operating system just came out, it would be wise to use this ocne in a lifetime opportunity to get the latest and better improving operating system. In this case, ur lucky bcus if ur gonna reformat (which is a wise decision), y not just grab the latest operating system to reformat it with?

So my advice is first, backup all of ur data either to dvd's, flash drives, external hd bcus u will lose all of it of u reformat. Then insert ur windows xp disc and do a clean installation.

actually this isnt a bad idea.

you can get an upgrade for windows 7 for $29.99 USD at win741.com. Yes it is M$ certified and legal. the only condition is that you have windows previously installed which you certainly do by having windows xp

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

1337 Gamer said:
GranTurismoHelperMax said:

So my advice is first, backup all of ur data either to dvd's, flash drives, external hd bcus u will lose all of it of u reformat. Then insert ur windows xp disc and do a clean installation.

actually this isnt a bad idea.

you can get an upgrade for windows 7 for $29.99 USD at win741.com. Yes it is M$ certified and legal. the only condition is that you have windows previously installed which you certainly do by having windows xp

SICK!!!

Past Avatar picture!!!

Don't forget your helmet there, Master Chief!

Onimusha12 said:

that sounds  complicated, I'd rather just save my favorite places and then reinstall windows.

Can I just reinstall windows by putting the install disc back in and telling it to redo everything?

Yes.

Just in case you can print this step by step description:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313348/en-us

But it's really easy using the win xp instalation disc.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

before you go out and buy win7 go and see if you computer meets the minium requirements to run it. If you have a system that came with windows xp it will not run win7 very well if at all.