By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Where are the Hardcore Wii Nintendo Games?

As a long time Nintendo supported I enjoy all my Nintendo Consoles including my Wii.

As such I am rather confused by Nintendo's marketing strategy for the Wii.

For the Gamecube Nintendo showed alot of support over its short life despite the small size of the install base (22 million) with two star fox games, three Zelda games, a fire emblem games (designed for the console unlike the Wii Fire Emblem), Eternal Darkness, Two Pikmin Games, Two Metroid Games, FOUR mario Party Games and Kriby Air Ride.

Now the Wii  54 million install base three years after Launch has

One Zelda Game originally developed for the Gamecube

A fire emblem game ported to the Wii with lackluster visuals

No Eternal Darkness

Two Pikmin Ports 

No Star Fox

One Metroid designed foe the Wii and one collection

One Mario Party Game designed for the Gamecube with gamecube visuals and poor motion controls

No Kirby Games

And a whole lot of games with Wii in the title.

Now does anyone think Nintendo has put to much of its resources into the casual market and neglected the hardcore fans many of whom stayed with Nintendo even through the Gamecube era?

PSWii

Around the Network

You left out Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Brothers Brawl and Punch Out.

there are no hardcore games, the wii is for kids like my 8, and 6 year old kids, the ps3 and 360 are for the big boys, and girls!!!!!!

^^^

This is the reason why Nintendo fans dont get the Wii.

If you really want a core game then buy and support COD MW reflex. Even a million seller of that game in NA alone can send shockwaves on third parties that still ignoring the Wii. And a perfect opprtunity for Treyarch to stomp IW.

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

TheConduit said:

As a long time Nintendo supported I enjoy all my Nintendo Consoles including my Wii.

As such I am rather confused by Nintendo's marketing strategy for the Wii.

For the Gamecube Nintendo showed alot of support over its short life despite the small size of the install base (22 million) with two star fox games, three Zelda games, a fire emblem games (designed for the console unlike the Wii Fire Emblem), Eternal Darkness, Two Pikmin Games, Two Metroid Games, FOUR mario Party Games and Kriby Air Ride.

Now the Wii  54 million install base three years after Launch has

One Zelda Game originally developed for the Gamecube

A fire emblem game ported to the Wii with lackluster visuals

No Eternal Darkness

Two Pikmin Ports 

No Star Fox

One Metroid designed foe the Wii and one collection

One Mario Party Game designed for the Gamecube with gamecube visuals and poor motion controls

No Kirby Games

And a whole lot of games with Wii in the title.

Now does anyone think Nintendo has put to much of its resources into the casual market and neglected the hardcore fans many of whom stayed with Nintendo even through the Gamecube era?

Maybe there is a reason why the Gamecube only sold 22 million and the Wii is on its way to 100 million.  You should be well aware the "hardcore" gaming croud is small, but extremly vocal, giving the illusion that they are more important then they really are.

Around the Network
yushire said:
^^^

This is the reason why Nintendo fans dont get the Wii.

If you really want a core game then buy and support COD MW reflex. Even a million seller of that game in NA alone can send shockwaves on third parties that still ignoring the Wii. And a perfect opprtunity for Treyarch to stomp IW.

No. Absolutely not. Even though I will most likely buy MW: Reflex for Wii, you should never have to buy a game to 'support' a certain type of game in the hope of more in the future.

I can see where the OP is coming from in a sense. I won't say 'hardcore' but I will say there has been a lack of desirable Wii games for me over the past year or so and that has definitely contributed to my decision to buy a PS3.

But looking to next year, Nintendo fans have nothing to fear. 

I shall now rank the 1st/2nd party Wii and GC games I have to my preferences.... which won't prove much about the answer the OP wants, but may at least throw something into the gears of this whole casual/hardcore shit.

LoZ: WindWaker
Mario Kart Wii
Wii Sports
Endless Ocean

Wave Race: Blue Storm
Battalion Wars II
Super Mario Galaxy
Metroid Prime 3

Eternal Darkness
LoZ: Twilight Princess

F-Zero GX
Mario Kart:DD

Excite Truck

Chibi-Robo
Wii Play

Not including Wiiware or VC in this either... something a lot seem to forget about.

In general I have enjoyed Nintendo's Wii games more than I did their GC games.... and *shock* the top of this list has "casual" games like Wii Sports and Endless Ocean.... and I am guessing as you ignored MK in the first post you deem that casual too? either way, the Wii version is the better game for me (don't get me wrong though, I enjoyed ALL of them thouroughly)

Zelda is one thing I preferred on the GameCube, Windwaker is still the king to me, but it's not like Nintendo is leaving the Wii's selection of Zelda as it is, it may be a year or two from release but there is another Zelda coming.... I would also like at least 1 more decent racing game as well, but it's not as if the Wii is at the end of it's life.

@ Edouble24 And Sin & Punishment 2, New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Mario Kart.

Lol @ taking stabs at Fire Emblem and Mario Party 8. I also love how you tried to make the Metroid scenario sound bad when we've had all the previous GC games and more including the upcoming Other M. You failed to mention Animal Crossing, Excite Truck and Excite Bots, Battalion Wars, Another Code, Disaster: Day of Crisis and Mario Strikers Charged.

How technical is your game?

Why, oh why would you complain about Radiant Dawn's visuals?

" a fire emblem games (designed for the console unlike the Wii Fire Emblem)"

Seriously...?

"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."