By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How much is PSN worth to you?

Vetteman94 said:
ironman said:
justinian said:
ironman said:

Why would I change that? Because I am curious, Because I wanted to know if people would actually pay to use PSN. Thats why I edited my OP and said to pretend that XBL doesn't exist, and that PSN was never free.

And yes, the Netflix argument fits perfectly with what I was arguing. I mean, is it criminal that OSX and MS both make you pay for their operating systems while you can get  Lynux free? No it is not. What people are suggesting is that Paying for live is like paying to use the internet connection you are already paying for, and that is an increadably stupid argument, just like Saying paying for Netflix is like paying for my internet connection twice...the two interlace perfectly.

You are taking this way out of context.

What's netfilx to do with anything? Your argument is like saying I won't pay for anything from amazon online because I already pay for my broadband connection.

Netflix is like amazon. You pay for a productmovie.

All I care about on PSN is gaming online. I will not pay a penny for that even if I had Gates's pocket money. It's just the principle of the whole thing.

It's our money and what we do with it is our choice. I have nothing against those who are willing to pay.

I don't care if PSN charged for anything else, but as long as online gaming is free I am contented. I think that is what most people care about.

As for Windows and OSX, yes, if people are willing to pay for it. If you think it's wrong you have an option, Linux. The problem is many people don't have a choice and if you want to run Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash Pro or a zillion other programs linux is a no-no.

No no, I was talking about netflix video streaming. Not their DVD mailing service. Surely you can see the corelation. You pay netflix to stream video to your PC...something I can do for free from websites like Megavideo...so Netflix is ripping people off according to the argument that MS is ripping people off by "forcing" them to pay to use XBL to network with other players when you can get the same thing for free somewhere else.

No because I dont own the movie that I am streaming from netflix. Netflix isnt allowing me to see a movie I already own, I am paying them to see a movie I dont own and want to see.  But with MS, I already own the game but I cant play online unless I purchase Xbox Live.  

that is a valid argument...that I disagree with for several fundamental reasons, but thats another topic. Anyway, it's not one I was countering. The origional argument that some were making was that paying for live was stupid because you already pay for your internet connection, why should you have to pay to use it. Using that failed logic, Paying for Netflix streaming is stupid becuase you already pay for your internet connection, why should you pay somebody else to use it.

Past Avatar picture!!!

Don't forget your helmet there, Master Chief!

Around the Network
Vetteman94 said:
PSN is worth hundreds to me, because it is free.

But if it wasn't free...how much would you pay?

Past Avatar picture!!!

PSN is great because it's free.
Xbox Live is over priced. Sony is quickly adding features and services and we aren't being charged for it.

This topic was just asking to be flamed.

Well, considering in terms of what I would use both XBL and PSN for (which is just to play other people in multiplayer online), I would pay about the same as I would (did) for XBL, because they're are pretty much identical in that aspect (playing with other people online in a mostly lag-free environment).

In numerical value, i'd say $50AUD (which is the most I ever paid for a 12 month subscription to live).

Tridrakious said:
Xbox Live is over priced. Sony is quickly adding features and services and we aren't being charged for it.

not really. This topic was made by somebody who was curious. Your opinion matters not in terms of XBL. just because it is overpriced to you, does not mean it is to everybody. Anyway, when in the OP it said "pretend XBL does not exist" I would think you would get the hint that XBL is irrelevant here. the question is how much would you pay for PSN?

Past Avatar picture!!!

Around the Network
ironman said:
Vetteman94 said:
ironman said:
justinian said:
ironman said:

Why would I change that? Because I am curious, Because I wanted to know if people would actually pay to use PSN. Thats why I edited my OP and said to pretend that XBL doesn't exist, and that PSN was never free.

And yes, the Netflix argument fits perfectly with what I was arguing. I mean, is it criminal that OSX and MS both make you pay for their operating systems while you can get  Lynux free? No it is not. What people are suggesting is that Paying for live is like paying to use the internet connection you are already paying for, and that is an increadably stupid argument, just like Saying paying for Netflix is like paying for my internet connection twice...the two interlace perfectly.

You are taking this way out of context.

What's netfilx to do with anything? Your argument is like saying I won't pay for anything from amazon online because I already pay for my broadband connection.

Netflix is like amazon. You pay for a productmovie.

All I care about on PSN is gaming online. I will not pay a penny for that even if I had Gates's pocket money. It's just the principle of the whole thing.

It's our money and what we do with it is our choice. I have nothing against those who are willing to pay.

I don't care if PSN charged for anything else, but as long as online gaming is free I am contented. I think that is what most people care about.

As for Windows and OSX, yes, if people are willing to pay for it. If you think it's wrong you have an option, Linux. The problem is many people don't have a choice and if you want to run Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash Pro or a zillion other programs linux is a no-no.

No no, I was talking about netflix video streaming. Not their DVD mailing service. Surely you can see the corelation. You pay netflix to stream video to your PC...something I can do for free from websites like Megavideo...so Netflix is ripping people off according to the argument that MS is ripping people off by "forcing" them to pay to use XBL to network with other players when you can get the same thing for free somewhere else.

No because I dont own the movie that I am streaming from netflix. Netflix isnt allowing me to see a movie I already own, I am paying them to see a movie I dont own and want to see.  But with MS, I already own the game but I cant play online unless I purchase Xbox Live.  

that is a valid argument...that I disagree with for several fundamental reasons, but thats another topic. Anyway, it's not one I was countering. The origional argument that some were making was that paying for live was stupid because you already pay for your internet connection, why should you have to pay to use it. Using that failed logic, Paying for Netflix streaming is stupid becuase you already pay for your internet connection, why should you pay somebody else to use it.

But I dont own the movies that I am getting to watch from netflix, you are paying for a rental service, you decide what movie you want to watch and you watch it.  The movie was never mine to begin with, it is an add-on service to my internet connection. With Xbox Live on the other hand, I have to pay money to use the online service I have for my gaming,  I already own the game that I want to play but I have to pay an additional fee to play certain aspects of the game. 

ironman said:
Tridrakious said:

not really. This topic was made by somebody who was curious. Your opinion matters not in terms of XBL. just because it is overpriced to you, does not mean it is to everybody. Anyway, when in the OP it said "pretend XBL does not exist" I would think you would get the hint that XBL is irrelevant here. the question is how much would you pay for PSN?

I would pay what I pay now. Nothing. PSN is free. Will always be free.

A better poll would have been to see who here thinks Xbox Live is overpriced in comparison to what it offers vs what PSN offers.

Tridrakious said:
ironman said:
Tridrakious said:

I would pay what I pay now. Nothing. PSN is free. Will always be free.

A better poll would have been to see who here thinks Xbox Live is overpriced in comparison to what it offers vs what PSN offers.

NO,  that would lead to a few bannings and flame suits being sold out at all retailers

To me in its current state-- free is about the right price.

Downloads are slow, it's confusing, and I just don't like it. If they sped things up and made it easier for me to download demos and know I'm downloading them I might pay, but at the moment, I don't really have a reason to pay for Live and PSN so free is right.

ironman said:
Vetteman94 said:
PSN is worth hundreds to me, because it is free.

But if it wasn't free...how much would you pay?

Its only worth that much because it is free.  Otherwise it wouldnt be worth anymore than Xbox Live to me,  and i would be hesitiant to pay it unless I could get it on sale like I do my Xbox Live