By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Sticky Fingers postman swipes Gamefly discs!

I though we could all use a little bit of comic relief...wtf is up with ole Reginald...did he actually believe that nobody would eventually catch on to TWENTY-TWO HUNDRED missing disc.  Sorry to all of those in the Philly area you didn't get there game, but this story had me laughing hard!

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/20091016_Ex-mail_handler_admits_theft_of_video_games_in_envelopes.html

Postman Swipes 2,200 Gamefly Games

A Philadelphia-area postal worker with sticky fingers has admitted to intercepting $86,000 worth of games originally intended for subscribers of GameFly's video game rental service.

If you live in the Philadelphia area and had trouble receiving your GameFly rentals last year, odds are good that Reginald Johnson was to blame. Johnson worked as a mail-processing clerk at the U.S. Postal Service processing and distribution center in Philadelphia, responsible for unloading mail from the trucks that docked there. And unload he did...he just unloaded quite a lot into his own SUV.

Reports of missing GameFly shipments in the area began reaching the Postal Service's Office of Inspector General in 2007. In September of 2008, the inspector general set up a sting operation using test mailings, and Johnson was found to be the culprit. After a car chase that ended in Johnson crashing his car and fleeing on foot, authorities discovered 79 GameFly mailings in a backpack in the vehicle, with an additional 81 found in a duffel bag dropped during the pursuit.

And what was Johnson doing with all of these rental games? In his SUV authorities also discovered five Nintendo Wii Sports, three Wii Fits, a Playstation console, game controllers, and receipts from GameStop, where Johnson had been exchanging games for trade-in credit.

Johnson admitted to stealing 2,200 GameFly mailings over the course of his employment with the U.S. Postal Service in federal district court yesterday, and now faces between 12 to 18 months in prison according to preliminary sentencing guidelines. Sentencing is scheduled for January 13th.

I'm actually interested to know which GameStop he was bringing these games to. A guy showing up on a regular basis with a stack of caseless game discs had to have thrown up some sort of red flag, shouldn't it?

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Around the Network

I'm surprised how he managed to steal so many without getting caught... 0_o

Tag (Courtesy of Fkusumot) "If I'm posting in this thread then it's probally a spam thread."                               

Dang, he got paid - he could flip them on eBay for next to nada. Wow - hope it was worth it.

sorry, you got beat by a few minutes.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=89511

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)