By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Ron Paul - Candidate for President of the United States

Entroper said:
sieanr said:
He is a great candidate, if you want to get rid of the public education system....

Paul would not be able to disband the public education system, that's something Congress would have to do. But Paul would probably refuse to sign any bills for new programs like No Child Left Behind which would be a good thing, IMO.

People have to realize, all these things Paul is in favor of like removing the Federal Reserve, the IRS, the public school system, are not things that a President can just snap his fingers and have done. But he can prevent them from expanding to some degree, and it's possible that he could promote some scaling back of these programs.

Just because he can't kill them doesn't mean he can't ruin them. Look at how GW kept the S-CHIP bill from happening. The problem is that if Paul were president there would probably be enough people in Congress that would vote with him to support his policies, probably enough to make a veto of his stand.

I'm very much a New Deal Democrat, something that's nearly gone here in America now. Our government should be here to help us. To reach out to those who need it most and to keep us safe. If our government isn't doing that, then what good are they doing us? I want a candidate who will support socialized medicine, not Ron Paul who will say that free market rules. I watch my dad struggle to afford the medication that keeps him alive and wonder how it got so bad. Why is it that the biggest, richest country in the world can't help it's own people? A candidate who understands that is who we should be voting for.

Around the Network
Sqrl said:

According to that site I am dead center Libertarian.

Just for the record I agree with the points posted in the OP. I wish more people would stop thinking about the short term. In generations past people made sacrifices so that things could be better in the future, and today it seems like we are against personal sacrifice to secure and maintain our freedoms.

I honestly don't understand how you can put the future and security of our nation ahead of men and woman who come to this country illegally. They are the ones who need to make the sacrifice here. But these illegal immigrants are correct in the fact that we do need to fix our system, and I don't think a system would matter unless we can get the border under control and get the people who are already here illegally back to where they belong.

I must admit I am really tired of this "compassion" argument. I have compassion for people who find themselves in a difficult situation through little or no fault of their own. I do not have compassion for people who put themselves in a difficult situation knowing full well that they will be able to take advantage of the "compassion" of others. And let me stop you before you play the "they are just trying to make a better life for their children!" card. Mexico is not so bad that people are unable to live, work and survive there. And so I once again say I have no sympathy for people unwilling to immigrate legally. But like I said above, we do need to fix our process and get rid of the bureaucracy, but that doesn't mean an opening of the flood gates.

Pro-Wall
Pro-Deportation
Pro-Sovereignty

But I also think we can achieve those things without de-humanizing and ruining the lives of millions of people. For instance, the government gives airlines huge handouts (which I loathe), why not instead of giving the airline a handout, purchase tickets to fly these folks back home? I don't think I have ever heard a politician brainstorm a solution to two problems like that, and that saddens me more than anything.

You want a solution to the immigration problem that would actually work? Fine people who employ them huge amounts of money. The illegals only come here because we're more than willing to give them a job. Why is it illegal for them to be here, but it's perfectly fine for someone to give them a job? If you make a fine like $25,000 each time someone employs an illegal, I promise you it'll stop quick. Sure, you won't catch all of them, but if you publicize a few big cases, I promise you it won't be an issue anymore.

http://www.politicalcompass.org/index

Another quiz site. Apparently my political leanings are around the same as those of Nelson Mandela and Gandhi, that cant be that bad =P

Economic Left/Right: -4.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.33

Rath said:
http://www.politicalcompass.org/index

Another quiz site. Apparently my political leanings are around the same as those of Nelson Mandela and Gandhi, that cant be that bad =P

Economic Left/Right: -4.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.33

That was an interesting test. I scored -2, -4. No surprise. 

Sqrl said:

According to that site I am dead center Libertarian.

Just for the record I agree with the points posted in the OP. I wish more people would stop thinking about the short term. In generations past people made sacrifices so that things could be better in the future, and today it seems like we are against personal sacrifice to secure and maintain our freedoms.

I honestly don't understand how you can put the future and security of our nation ahead of men and woman who come to this country illegally. They are the ones who need to make the sacrifice here. But these illegal immigrants are correct in the fact that we do need to fix our system, and I don't think a system would matter unless we can get the border under control and get the people who are already here illegally back to where they belong.

I must admit I am really tired of this "compassion" argument. I have compassion for people who find themselves in a difficult situation through little or no fault of their own. I do not have compassion for people who put themselves in a difficult situation knowing full well that they will be able to take advantage of the "compassion" of others. And let me stop you before you play the "they are just trying to make a better life for their children!" card. Mexico is not so bad that people are unable to live, work and survive there. And so I once again say I have no sympathy for people unwilling to immigrate legally. But like I said above, we do need to fix our process and get rid of the bureaucracy, but that doesn't mean an opening of the flood gates.

Pro-Wall
Pro-Deportation
Pro-Sovereignty

But I also think we can achieve those things without de-humanizing and ruining the lives of millions of people. For instance, the government gives airlines huge handouts (which I loathe), why not instead of giving the airline a handout, purchase tickets to fly these folks back home? I don't think I have ever heard a politician brainstorm a solution to two problems like that, and that saddens me more than anything.

I see. Are you saying that the millions of Europeans and their descendants that arrived illigally to the American continent should be kicked out?  Unless you have some sort of proof that your ancestors had a visa from the native american nation I don't understand your position.  At least the current wave of immigrants are not committing mass genocide on the existing population.

This signature was intentionally left blank

Around the Network
Soriku said:
Soriku for President.

All who don't own a Wii will be executed.

I scored -1.12 in the left/right economy question and -6.00 in the Social Libertarian/Authoritarian scale. That's pretty much what I expected, I thougt that I may even be on the right side in the economic scale but I knew that I'm pretty close to the center.

It is very interesting to see that even democratic candidates in the USA are in the +/+ range while in Europe, for example in my homecountry switzerland, all the quadrants are filled in by candiates. I didn't realise that before I did that test.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

I'm voting for Kucinich.

Again.

He is the bext.

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

Beavis said:

I see. Are you saying that the millions of Europeans and their descendants that arrived illigally to the American continent should be kicked out? Unless you have some sort of proof that your ancestors had a visa from the native american nation I don't understand your position. At least the current wave of immigrants are not committing mass genocide on the existing population.

So you are arguing that two wrongs make a right?  In any case the fact is that the european immigration was a long time ago and nobody alive today took part in the things that happened then.  So this idea that we are hypocrits for not adhering to a policy that we had no part in implementing, enforcing, or creating is folly. But when we boil it down to the basics this sort of argument is just a distraction from the real issue. 

If you recognise the sovereignty of the US, then your argument is moot. If you don't then you can enjoy a long life in frivolous pursuit of a an unattainable goal.  But in the mean time the immigration issue is something we can change. 

To Each Man, Responsibility
fkusumot said:

Ron Paul has some very interesting views.

Just a sample, here is his six point plan on immigration:

• End birthright citizenship.  As long as illegal immigrants know their children born here will be citizens, the incentive to enter the U.S. illegally will remain strong.

That's the stupidist f*cking thing I've ever heard. Hey you, you were born in this country and grew up here, but we're going to deport you to the country you're parents are from.

Ron Paul seems like a nice guy, but all of his policies are based entirely on ideological grounds. He's an absolute joke candidate.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.