By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Website suggestion to maybe help with the recent banning and mod bashing

I know I'm sick of the back and forth mod bashing/banning threads... I'm sure others are as well.  I believe there is a simpler solution here:

1) Add email verification of all users.  Yes, they can always go out and create another Yahoo, Hotmail, or whatever account, but it does take extra time and tends to slow things down enough that trolls move on. Send the email some short period of time -- 15 minutes or something-- after submittal so the person has to wait.  Generally people will move on at that point.

2)Have everyone temporarily locked out until they confirm their email address.  I'd be happy to verify mine.

3)Go back to the way we were... just let people say/do what they want unless it is just absolutely blatant.  Obviously blatant is difficult to define sometimes, but anything using banned foul language repeatedly, posting overtly sexual images, etc., would be blatant.   Just being an argumentative troll isn't enough unless it really gets out of hand.

4)Log IP addresses of people's posts within the posts themselves.  It would certainly show a trend if a particualr person creates multiple accounts.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network

Well, there's always going to be controversy when even one mod is appointed, but such a large and diverse amount? Remember when FishyJoe was going to become a mod? That was hell, and that was just one person!

Eventually people will stop their whining, get used to change, and accept the new mods. We'll make some progress at that point.

Those points would definitely help, but they probably won't stop some of our...hrmmm....forum legends.

Oh god not another thread about the mods -.-

How many are we going to end up with?

I don't care so long as no one abuses their power.

One thing I want to say is stop publicly warning people within threads (I'm looking at you, ssj12). If you're going to warn someone, send them a pm, there's no need to derail threads (that PS3/GC thread is ruined now).

Crucial definitely had at least one thng right, there is absolutely NO NEED to warn people by posting a public message in a thread, there is a pm system especially for that.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

*Yawn*

I need to get a life. 

Around the Network

Soriku, you are the biggest genius on here.

Another day of editing posts.

omgwtfbbq said:

One thing I want to say is stop publicly warning people within threads (I'm looking at you, ssj12). If you're going to warn someone, send them a pm, there's no need to derail threads (that PS3/GC thread is ruined now).

Crucial definitely had at least one thng right, there is absolutely NO NEED to warn people by posting a public message in a thread, there is a pm system especially for that.

Actually, I don't think that a posted warning is a bad thing.  Personally, there'd be a serious danger that I just wouldn't notice the "unread message" alert. 

On the other hand, there's no need for public humiliation.  Maybe it would be best if the mod posted a note:  "[user]:  I just PMed you.  Read it now."  Everyone would know what that meant but that's not the same as having all the gory details out in the open, and it would also open a private discussion. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

omgwtfbbq said:

that wasnt even the full warning, I went into more detail with my message, but thats besides the point. Public warnings can be a way to display whats wrong and should be used as a sign to fix the situation, not derail a thread. Plus many people here have called for reasons for bans/warnings. You are probably right, many people get nervious and testy when they are made public. The main purpose is still the same. it was meant to calm people down and talk like civilized men and women. Just like in politics there always has to be to form of visible sign that the mods actually do something more then ban people and shy away from trying to get things running smoothly without using much of our power. We prefer to use our power when direly needed and not spamming it around the forums like priest spams his message during Sunday mass. 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

I'm sorry. I shouldn't have started the thread, but I'm not complaining about the mods. I'm complaining about people complaining about mods and the trolls that follow. Just close this thread now.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.