By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Uncharted 2 single player causing PS3's to overheat

I played it for about 4 hours last night and although the fan was on its middle setting for about the last 2 hours of play, the system never felt hot (actually was very cool to the touch) and the fan was blowing cool air out the vents. never suffered any freeze ups or shut downs

Around the Network

i have a 2 plus year old 40 gig ps3, i have played over 14 hours of the single player campaigh on uncharted 2 with no problems at all, and i will play for 6 plus hours at a time , all on the single player campaign, i have not tried out the multiplayer yet, so i will be curious to see what comes of this, my ps3 fat that is close to 3 years old is going strong on uncharted 2 , if i have a problem i will let everyone know, wow the game is unreal, it has really put the step much much higher in everyway for upcomming titles

I really wish I had backed up my saves when I had the chance. Now the system won't even turn on. :(

justinian said:
dsister44 said:
We have 4 Uncharted threads on the front page. Isn't that the point of the official thread?

With all due respect how is the OP suppose to stop that from happening? If you start a thread in the PS3 or any forum it is automatically placed on the front page.

This can of course upset non-PS3 fans but you really should take up this issue with whoever manages the site and not the poster.

The point of the official thread is too keep all info about said game there.I do get annoyed by the large amount of Uncharted news that is posted on this site. But the OP explained to me why it shouldn't bein the oficial thread so I didn't report this thread

Draven26 said:
I played it for about 4 hours last night and although the fan was on its middle setting for about the last 2 hours of play, the system never felt hot (actually was very cool to the touch) and the fan was blowing cool air out the vents. never suffered any freeze ups or shut downs

Yours will YLOD within the next few months depending on use then.  The fans starting racing with no discernable increase in temperature being produced out the back I'm guessing.  Same deal with the OP too, it's definately early stages.  You guys might want to consider stripping your consoles down and cleaning the fans out although I suspect the damage has already been done so it's too late.  The fault is similar to the RROD on 360 but due to the better manufacturing quality of the PS3 motherboard combined with better cooling they fail slower and a lot less frequently.  If you do start to get any increased fan speeds on your PS3 that is unusual I always recommend cleaning them before the overheating causes further damage, mine has just started too even when playing DVD's.  In my case it's definately a dust issue so I need to sort it before I start on Unchartered 2.

Around the Network

This just convinced me to get the game

It is better to die on one's feet

then live on one's knees

Well, I'm glad I didn't get this game yet.  Hopefully the problem will be fixed by the time I'm ready for it.  Being patient is always a good thing. 

Burning Typhoon said:

Well, I'm glad I didn't get this game yet.  Hopefully the problem will be fixed by the time I'm ready for it.  Being patient is always a good thing. 

It's not the game, it's individual consoles that are and indeed would have failed regardless of what game was played on them.  As others have said, pure coincidence.

IllegalPaladin said:
Well... Drake's journal is full of awesome...

this comment is awesome.

Check out my game about moles ^

I may be a coincidence but this system never shut down while playing a game before. I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that this game is pushing the system more then any other. The visuals are easily the best I've ever seen.

Anyone know if it's possible to retrive save game data. Is any of it on the HDD?

I'm deliberating now if I should pay sony for the repair or buy one off this dude on CL for basicly the same price.