By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Halo 3 thoughts (this does belong in gaming)

Ok, so I just finally bought Halo 3 recently and sat down and played an hour or so on my 32" Sony Wega. (standard def)  I put it away because I'm still waiting on my 42" LG LCD to play on and I don't want to ruin it, lol.

Halo has taken a lot of heat since it was launched for a number of things but I can tell you this:  after having played just an hour, it is leaps and bounds above Halo 1 and 2 graphically.  Now, why is this thread in gaming instead of microsoft?  Well, there is a little feature called theater mode that I think is quite cool.  I've not seen it in any other games and it's quite revolutionary.  If any other game has done this, let me know what it is... I know replay and screen capture have been done before, but I don't think anything even remotely close to this level of control has been included.

So, basically, after having played part of a level, I went to theater mode and discovered you can watch the replay.  Replay... No big deal, right?  WRONG!.  You can play back the replay from the perspective of others in your party, close behind the Master Chief, far back, or even in "free camera mode".  The free camera mode is freaking awesome as you can pan around, zoom in and out and just take in all of what transpired during a battle.  It really is quite cool to go back and watch a battle while zooming around and checking it out from the bird's eye view or from the enemy's side.  Everything remains rich in detail and you can basically "camera wander" anywhere in the level that your people have been or the aliens have been.  I can't say enough about how cool this little feature really is.  All of this can be done while motion is happening so you watch live or you can pause it and examine everything in place.

I haven't even begun to explore other areas of the game yet but this feature alone is worth the price of admission...

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network

There is that replay cam on Pro Evo, but its not the same
Also, the Ace Combat games have a replay feature at the end of each level, but it still leaves alot to be desired. However, it does make you look great

add me

Getting out of levels with the cam in the theater is kinda fun, especially if you like to break games and see how the levels are set up.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

sieanr said:
Getting out of levels with the cam in the theater is kinda fun, especially if you like to break games and see how the levels are set up.

In Halo 2 you didn't need a camera to get out of the level and discover the rich amount of glitches to behold :D

theater mode is AWSOME

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.
Around the Network

theatre mode was a good addition to the game

Dallinor said:
sieanr said:

In Halo 2 you didn't need a camera to get out of the level and discover the rich amount of glitches to behold :D

I know

All these invisible walls in 3 are killing me, although there are some spots you can still get out of. The problem is the death barrier, which the camera can avoid.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

sieanr said:
Dallinor said:
sieanr said:

I know

All these invisible walls in 3 are killing me, although there are some spots you can still get out of. The problem is the death barrier, which the camera can avoid.

These walls are there to stop you going to far ahead in the level. why? As the Legendary Edition DvD's tells you, there are points where the enemies will just appear out of thin air when Masterchief goes past a certain invisible checkpoint. The walls stop you seeing this when you hit play 2 miles down a level.

Theatre mode is awesome. Its a nice way to add insult to injury when you get a particularly nice kill on a buddy.
Clip it. Save it. Play it over and over :)

Yes its been done before but I agree the ease of use and level of control are great.

Im hooked on this game. Bioshock, which I havent finished, is collecting dust now. I'll dust it off soon though.

PS360 ftw!

Currently playing..........

Gears of War 2, GTA IV Lost and Damned, Little Big Planet (Yes I said I had no interest but my girl wanted to try it and we did and now Im hooked )

Theater mode is pretty cool when you get a lucky stick using the grav lifts or something (I have two), it's so awesome watching them again and again.