By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto: “It’s a Mario that will continue selling..."

source

Miyamoto: New Super Mario Bros. Wii will sell for many years

October 11th, 2009 Posted in News, Wii, Written by Valay

Nintendo hosted another retailer briefing today in Japan. One of the major highlights at the event was Shigeru Miyamoto playing and demonstrating New Super Mario Bros. Wii to attendees. While going through the game, Miyamoto made a comment about his anticipated feeling of the title’s sales.

“It’s a Mario that will continue selling even after one year has passed.”

All sorts of Nintendo software – especially games on the Wii and DS – have had long legs. With the first New Super Mario Bros., for instance, only around 10.3% of the title’s sales came in the first week. And surely New Super Mario Bros. Wii will be a top priority, as Satoru Iwata explained a few months ago that the game as seen as a key title for the company this holiday. Iwata does indeed have high expectations for New Super Mario Bros. Wii., and had also pointed out that he believes it can “surpass 10m copies worldwide in the whole fiscal year.”

Miyamoto is being Captain Obvious?

Around the Network

Someone should make a pic of Miyamoto in a superhero costume, as the forementioned Captain Obvious.

Not only is that the most obvious statement of the year, but it's incredibly modest. After one year? What Mario game hasn't continued selling moderately well after two or even three years? His expectations are rather low or maybe he just doesn't know how well his own games sell.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Wait, 10.3% of NSMB DS' sales came in the first week? That doesn't fit in with VGChartz numbers

It has it at 6.22%.

As for him saying that it will sell 10 million in its first fiscal year. What does that mean for christmas? Let's see.

Say it will sell as Wii Fit did in that period in Q1 (what Wii Fit did in 09 will equal NSMB Wii in 10). It sold 4.2 million, and that was the by far best selling game in the period. Thinking that NSMB Wii will beat that is unlikely, so ~ 4 million in Q1 seems logical. That means he expects it to sell around 6 million during the christmas period.

Edit: Believe it or not, but selling for many years isn't that common on Wii. Miyamoto isn't talking about it selling some copies, he's talking about it being an evergreen title - something Super Mario Galaxy wasn't, and it is debatable if Mario Kart Wii was.

If he is indeed saying it will be an evergreen title, it means he's saying it will sell Wii Fit-esque, rather than be a larger Super Mario Galaxy.

I mean, look a bit closer at it. He's saying it will sell 10 million in 4 months, but not drop off a lot. He cannot possibly believe that it will sell under 20 million; this is not captain obvious at all.

I really hope it manages to top their wildest expectations, and crush SMG and SMG2. A return to 2D Mario platformers would be glorious. Some genres work better in 2D than 3D, and some are just completely different beasts. 3D and 2D platformers are so wildly different that both should be supported, and it has made me sad over the years that 2D ones have been so ignored.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Around the Network
Onyxmeth said:

Not only is that the most obvious statement of the year, but it's incredibly modest. After one year? What Mario game hasn't continued selling moderately well after two or even three years? His expectations are rather low or maybe he just doesn't know how well his own games sell.

I think he means really well, like NSMB on the DS, Galaxy didn't sell that well 1 year after its release

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

NSMB still rears its head on the WorldWide Charts from time to time, and slightly more often than that on the regional charts (especially Japan and Others), and that was over 4 years ago, and this game has a multiplayer element.

Like i said before, the only way this game will fall short of astronomical sales is if the City Folk effect eats into it, where people just don't want a similar console version of the game (though it's harder in this case, since this game is doing more to distinguish itself from it's DS counterpart)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

even after one year? only one? Talk about setting expectations low...

Miyamoto is right. Why are you calling him captain obvious, it's far enough to want to big up your game.

Wii code: 1534 8127 5081 0969

Brawl code: 1762-4131-9390

Member of the Pikmin Fan Club

What will nintendo have left once he kicks the can?

Just asking because i really dont know

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st