By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony "pleading" with Third-party Devs?

I'm just curious to see what will actually happen to PS3 sales when the meet the threshold of people actually willing to buy one.

Around the Network

Y'know, I do think it is smart of Sony not to buy exclusives.

Sony really doesn't understand Nintendo's business model, which isn't dependant on third parties, but is obviously proving to be more profitable.

But in turn, Microsoft really doesn't understand Sony's business model. By buying so many exclusives/exclusive content and doing so much co-marketing, they are turning Sony's PS model on it's ear. If you're going to sell hardware at a loss, you have to make it up with third party game sales. You can't lose money on hardware, and then pay third parties to help sell that hardware. In a way, Microsoft are literally paying other companies to help them lose money on XBox.

Sony of course isn't executing on it's traditional strategy right now, but I think they know they only have the luxery of buying exclusives when they really don't need to. Their primary goal has to be to move more hardware, which will result in more software support than they could buy... As Nintendo is starting to prove!

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

MS doesn't need to make a profit, they only need to stop Sony's market expansion.

Soriku said:
konnichiwa said:
Soriku said:
konnichiwa said:
Guys I just asked a freelancer called Fishie and he confirms Takahashi's story that Sony is pleading developpers.

???

One of my "friends' is a freelancer.

His nickname is Fishie. He always knows everything that goes on in the game industry and many of his friends are developpers also developpers for Sony projects.

That Sony was pleading developpers is not a secret a lot of people knows this only no one made a blog about it like Takahashi just did.

Yah it can sounds weird to hear this from me without evidence;

But if you don't trust me you can ask ONNAGIRL. She knows Fishie too.

If ya want I can post pictures of Fishie with miyamoto and a picture of Fishie with me if that would made my words more beleaveble.

I am not making this up , the only reason that I know Fishie is because he is from Belgium and told a lot of news on Belgian/Dutch forums that is also why ONNAGIRL knows him.

So are you saying you believe this article?

Konnichiwa:   Yo Fishie
Fishie:  Har Har
Konnichiwa:  *Sending this article*    
Konnichiwa: Do you know if this is true.
Fishie:   Yes, it is not a big secret ask this to a freelancer/developper in the games world and he shall tell you it is true.  I can also recommend the two books of Takahashi, you should read them.

Konnichiwa: Thank you for the news, it surprises me.
Fishie: You are welcome.

So yes the article is true.

You should ask onnagirl to ask this to Fishie too if you don't believe me.

I would not lie about this.

more importantly Konnichiwa, does "fishy" say whether Sony's pleas are being heard?

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network

There is nothing quoted that is unreasonable. I think the hyperbole is in the imagination of the reader. You read something then imagine it in the extreme. Everyone pleads with someone else for something that does mean we demean ourselves. Like wise developers are not going to jump into Wii production to put out a AAA game the system is still too new, and the demographic is poorly understood. However you can't go too wrong on a low budget title with a short development cycle.

Sony obviously has to plead their case to developers. No they are not crawling on their knees, or crying over phones. More along the lines of just asking in a heart felt manner for a little more time, or asking for announcements to be deferred for a month or two. Kissing some serious booty, and bringing up tragedy. The way that many apologists on these very forums whip out those famous slogans. I would find it hard to imagine that Sony is not saying the exact same things to developers each week. Hold in there till next spring things will look much better.

Absolutely you can break one PS3 team into four or five teams. Some of these high end AAA games can have massive staffs working on them. However if your willing to make a handful of B games for the Wii it can be done. Perhaps if you feel the platform is worth it you could push out two AAA games with the same resources. Obviously if you decided to do two B games on the PS3 you could probably split a AAA staff into two with little problem.

The reality is though that for the PS3 you want to use the hardware to its best ability, and that should mean fantastic looking games that have a lot of data to make the best use of the machines strengths. Few developers are thinking they want to develop a Wii quality game for the PS3. The consumer would expect better, and quite frankly it would defeat the purpose of developing for the platform if your not looking to push boundaries.

I posted in this earlier and I cant remember what I said so here goes my opinion (and sorry if Im contradicting what I said earlier XD)

Good on Sony!
Sony and MS really depend on TP for survival as they dont have franchises to survive on FP like Ninty does, so Sony eating a little humble pie and 'pleading' (I doubt they are actually pleading, more like asking but exaggerated) with third parties for games is a good move. Personally I think this shows a turn around from Sony's previous arrogance and that the humble road is the only way they will survive in videogames.

starcraft said:
more importantly Konnichiwa, does "fishy" say whether Sony's pleas are being heard?

Konnichiwa: Do you know that Sony's pleas are being heard?
Fishie:   Kojima did it.

Soriku said:
konnichiwa said:
starcraft said:

Konnichiwa: Do you know that Sony's pleas are being heard?
Fishie: Kojima did it.

That's it? Have they went to SE?

Yes that is it. 

He doesn't tell me many secrets.  

But if you want to see more about him:

He was also the guy who said in 2005   PS3 WILL BE DELAYED.

That is an article of him on Kotaku

http://kotaku.com/gaming/ps3/rumor-ps3-riddled-with-issues-delay-likely-145801.php

What do u mean Kojima did it? Do you just mean that Kojima spent the time necessary to make MGS4 great? or do you mean KONAMI is keeping it exclusive?

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS