By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Advice needed please concerning PS3 repair

Thanks for the replies again. 

Around the Network
placidcasual said:

Thanks for the replies.

Sony are not budging so I'll scrap it I think. Would need to get the warranty with a refurbished one so for one year that would bring it up to £188. Was going to get uncharted 2 so might go for the 250gb option with uncharted on play.com for £269 and put it down to bad luck. Took really good care of the machine and dusted it regularly. Wasn't even on for that long - 30 mins maybe. No technical issues before and it was very quiet.

Does anyone know if the old 60gb hard drive would fit into a slim to retrieve saved files. Also I was playing infamous at the time. Is there any way of rescuing the disk from the broken machine?

Thanks again.

Don't scrap it, BC PS3s are worth a bit. Pay the £128 then sell it, they go for £250 or more on ebay. Then use the money to buy a slim.

bluthunder said:
placidcasual said:

Thanks for the replies.

Sony are not budging so I'll scrap it I think. Would need to get the warranty with a refurbished one so for one year that would bring it up to £188. Was going to get uncharted 2 so might go for the 250gb option with uncharted on play.com for £269 and put it down to bad luck. Took really good care of the machine and dusted it regularly. Wasn't even on for that long - 30 mins maybe. No technical issues before and it was very quiet.

Does anyone know if the old 60gb hard drive would fit into a slim to retrieve saved files. Also I was playing infamous at the time. Is there any way of rescuing the disk from the broken machine?

Thanks again.

Don't scrap it, BC PS3s are worth a bit. Pay the £128 then sell it, they go for £250 or more on ebay. Then use the money to buy a slim.

if u can do this, do it.

place, did you get the disc out yet?

Currently playing: MAG, Heavy Rain, Infamous

Getting Plat trophies for: Heavy Rain, Infamous, RE5,  Burnout and GOW collection once I get it.

ignore the people telling you to get a xbox 360, their failure rate is so bad it is un-believeable...

the ps3 failure rate is a lot lower (below 1%) so you got really unlucky, as for advice i say fix it and sell it to someone else,  as backward compatible ps3 sell for a lot of money on ebay, then wityh your money buy a ps3 slim, the YLOD problem seems to only happen to release consoles, so the slim should be fine ok

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

Around the Network
WessleWoggle said:
Chuck the hunk of crap and get a reliable machine like the xbox 360.

Make sure to get an earlier build too!

XD XD

bluthunder said:
placidcasual said:

Thanks for the replies.

Thanks again.

Do this. You'll be happy you did it.

4 ≈ One

Don't worry jneul - I'm definitely not going down the XBox route. Going to arrange an exchange and sell on ebay and then get the slim.

Looks like the disc is not coming out gamelover! Only got infamous the day before too.

If its out of warranty id go for the open the thing up reseat the heat sinks with some good thermal paste give it a blast with a heatgun and fire her up.

The original PS3's do seem to be failing with a worrying regularity but the rest of the SKU's seem to be holding up really well.

Paying to get it fixed then flogging it is a little bit naughty IMHO. Once a machine has YLOD'd it seems to be destined to repeat the problem. You are just condeming your purchaser to the same issue.

it won't be the same machine cypher - they will exchange it for another 60gb which may not have previously had the yellow light. If I knew it had a yellow light I'd not sell it on Ebay.