By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Infinity ward- 'Activision didn't want modern warfare'

Reporting on its April-June fiscal quarter in August, Activision said that revenues for the period surpassed $1 billion. The figure was bolstered in no small part by the unstoppable juggernaut that is Infinity Ward's acclaimed Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, which the publisher said has sold 14 million units worldwide since its release in November 2007 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, DS, and PC. (A Wii edition, titled Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare: Reflex, is due next month.)

Considering Call of Duty 4's phenomenal success, it may come as a shock that Activision initially opposed Infinity Ward's decision to abandon World War II for a more contemporary setting. What's more, the publisher wasn't overly keen on bringing the developer's wares to consoles, either.

"Activision...did not want Modern Warfare," Infinity Ward chief creative officer Vince Zampella told Britain-based Official PlayStation Magazine in an interview, relayed by UK gaming site CVG. "They thought working on a modern game was risky and [thought], 'Oh my god you can't do that, it's crazy!' They were doing market research to show us we were wrong the whole time."

Call of Duty project lead Jason West went on to note, "We had to fight for everything. They wanted it to be World War II. Again."

In fact, Zampella said that Infinity Ward was ready to leave the WWII setting after the original Call of Duty, which received glowing reviews upon its release for the PC in 2003. Notably, Activision announced that it had acquired the Encino, California-based developer for an undisclosed sum one day after the original COD shipped in October of that year.

"With Call of Duty 2, we were dead set against it being World War II," Zampella said. "But Activision really wanted it, the compromise sort of being that we'd get some dev kits for consoles in exchange for doing a World War II game. We always wanted to be on consoles and Activision saw us as more of a PC developer."

Infinity Ward's Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 will be available for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC on November 10, and according to Activision, as of August the game was already the most preordered title in the publisher's history. For more information, check out GameSpot's previous coverage.

http://au.gamespot.com/news/6232123.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;5

PSN- williwod

Remember, there are no stupid questions. Just stupid people- Mr Garrison

Around the Network

This makes you think about how many wonderful ideas for gaming or games themselves have been brushed aside due to the fact that the publisher did not like the idea or look of them. It should just be up to what the developer is up to doing and not what the publisher think would sell, that way you get better quality games because things turn out better when it's done it the way you want it to be done.

I wonder how IW talked Activision into this.

CoD2's voice acting alone made the campaign pretty amazing.

http://soundcloud.com/cathode

PSN: Parasitic_Link

Hahaha activision are pussies who are scared of change.

Guitar Hero Devs: "Oh hey we have a cool new idea for a game!"

Activision: "nah fuck that put out another guitar hero you pussies"

^lol

Around the Network

further proof that Activision sucks.

I wonder how many other IP's they dropped because of being too risky in favor of more GH sequels

At least EA and SEGA tried

"Kinect" Games I am really excited about (Click for videos)

Kinectimals        Dance Central      Kinect-Sports   Kinect-Adventures    Your Shape       Kinect-Forza

Owner of :   slim 1000 +  80GB DSlite

Oh I wish some of those studios could run for it. Beeing under Activision, with their new policy must be hell for everyone.

MY HYPE LIST: 1) Gran Turismo 5; 2) Civilization V; 3) Starcraft II; 4) The Last Guardian; 5) Metal Gear Solid: Rising

A_C_E said:
This makes you think about how many wonderful ideas for gaming or games themselves have been brushed aside due to the fact that the publisher did not like the idea or look of them. It should just be up to what the developer is up to doing and not what the publisher think would sell, that way you get better quality games because things turn out better when it's done it the way you want it to be done.

I wonder how IW talked Activision into this.

And to think that Activision were the original rebel artists, the founders had a lot of great ideas that Atari either shot down or took full credit without even mentioning anyone... So they left and founded Activision with Jim Levi's help, who knew that later the company would forget that and try to do the same thing to other devs...

I also wonder how IW talked Activision into this.