By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The increasing popularity of games may hurt games as an art.

RolStoppable said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:
I just had to look up the thread I originally said that in. Wow. March 9th, 2008.

It was a fantastic thread.

EDIT: I might as well link to it. A VGC classic.

How'd you find it?  I googled "You're not a real gamer" "rubang".

Around the Network

False: the wider the audience the more chance that an 'art' game could become profitable by finding its niche market within a wider pool of potential customers.

mibuokami said:
False: the wider the audience the more chance that an 'art' game could become profitable by finding its niche market within a wider pool of potential customers.

That's definately true.

Gaming has been Hollywood for a long time. Look at the number of sequels and remakes that there are. Also, look at the number of FPS out there. They don't usually have to be very unique to do well. Think of them as the latest Michael Bay movie. Also, Nintendo has now tapped into excercise gaming which is now the fastest growing genre. Think of them as the equivalent of chick flicks. The art films like Okami don't usually don't do that well, but win a lot of awards.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

CGI-Quality said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Good, gaming is entertainment, not art

Still takes art to accomplish that (i.e.: Movies, Music, Dance etc, etc....)

Actually no, it doesn't take 'art' to accomplish entertainment, both however can co-exist within one medium comfortably, as seen in just about every other form of medium from books to movie to music.

In fact you can argue fairly convincingly that any medium that contains the former will invariably contain the later.

Around the Network
mibuokami said:
CGI-Quality said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

Actually no, it doesn't take 'art' to accomplish entertainment, both however can co-exist within one medium comfortably, as seen in just about every other form of medium from books to movie to music.

In fact you can argue fairly convincingly that any medium that contains the former will invariably contain the later.

Many things that are considered art are not considered entertaining by the mass market, and many things that are considered low borw by the critics are extremely popular

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Yeah but they can coincide. Mainstream pop culture can be high art. Ask David Bowie, the Beatles, and Nintendo.

Avinash_Tyagi said:
mibuokami said:
CGI-Quality said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

Many things that are considered art are not considered entertaining by the mass market, and many things that are considered low borw by the critics are extremely popular

Now we're arguing over definition :) and in either case the argument is still valid.

One man's art is another man's entertainment, and neither is required for the other to exist but both do anyways.

Avinash_Tyagi said:
mibuokami said:
CGI-Quality said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

Critics don't decide what's art, they just decide what they think is good art (usually whatever's the most sophisticated). And they're generally pretty entertained by art that they think is good, even if most people aren't.

And on the other side, just because something is low-brow, unsophisticated, and popular, that doesn't mean that it isn't art.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

I dunno, last time I checked art was quite entertaining thing. If it wasn't that way, why should I get involved with it in the first place?